DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The benefits to drone pilots of taking full scale flying lessons.

Former Member

Reactions
Im a firm believer that every drone pilot would benefit by taking some full scale flying lessons. After doing this, the pilot might more be able to visualize his/herself in the pilots seat of the Mavic, and not try any dangerous or risky maneuvers that they wouldnt do if they were inside the drone. Running low on battery, flying near obstacles, flying dangerously would all be reconsidered if their life and limbs were in jeopardy due to their risky flying behavior.

Of course, there will always be hotshots who ignore the rules, and just want to have fun. But a few close calls in a full scale airplane might be enough to discourage irresponsible flying at the controls of their UAV. Would a private pilot fly across Gatwick or Heathrow? Not anyone with any sense, or value for their lives. If they treated their drone as a manned vehicle, these behaviors would be few and far between.

Have about 1000 hours on GA aircraft, but have not flown for many years. Would probably have problems with the medical and could no way justify the cost these days.

Reactions: Former Member
Have about 1000 hours on GA aircraft, but have not flown for many years. Would probably have problems with the medical and could no way justify the cost these days.

To me, thats another beautiful thing about flying drones. No medicals and no biennial flight reviews. Theres no way I could pass a first class medical either, unless I bribed the doctor.

Reactions: old man mavic
i like your thinking @Thunderdrones Rob with regards to having some flying experience under your belt,the only downside would be the cost involved,and as others have said the state of ones health,i think that from the point of view of flying a drone, it would be a good idea to read up on how fixed wing aircraft and rotor blade craft work ,so as to get a better understanding ,of what will happen when the control sticks are moved in a particular way it might avoid the comment i did not think it would do that

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Does flying a paraglider count? Did that for several years back in the '90's.
Heck yea it does probably MORE so to be honest. You're "out there" more than in a cockpit.

It just happens I'm researching ParaMotor (not exactly what you did but similar) right now for myself. I've contacted a fairly local instruction company and looking into the costs etc.

Here's a link to what "could" happen to a paraglider (it does NOT show the outcome though)

I think Manned Aviation experience (even just a few hours of training) would help in a LOT of situations. It definitely gives you a different perspective and might help some operators think twice before making that "questionable" flight.

But then again the bar for entry is so low with no requirement to even read the manual let alone anything more so I don't see anyone taking the initiative (or expense) to get manned aviation training. Personally I wouldn't give anything for it because it's such a hugely rewarding experience through and through.

At least study for and pass the 107 test, that opened my eyes to how much I still don’t know about aviation!

Very well said sir.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078