DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The BIG GNSS (GPS) Issue -- The Constructive Thread

Exactly. If it is a FW issue, which we know it must be, since the pre December FW did not have this issue, even if reinstalled now, replacing the aircraft with another new one won't change anything, if it is also on the same current GNSS problematic FW! Must wait patiently. LOL!

Exactly. If it is a FW issue, which we know it must be, since the pre December FW did not have this issue, even if reinstalled now, replacing the aircraft with another new one won't change anything, if it is also on the same current GNSS problematic FW! Must wait patiently. LOL!
Yeah, I wanted to send mine back but to my surprise I have been getting a lock in like 2 minutes the last 2 days. Not sure what changed, same place I fly every time. But I will still complain as Dji advertised that the M3 will lock GPS faster than any other of their previous drones LOL

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Suren, I have no idea what the deal is, but the last couple of days Airsense has been working perfectly. Have you noticed that? Was there some sort of double secret update that DJI snuck in on us?

Suren, I have no idea what the deal is, but the last couple of days Airsense has been working perfectly. Have you noticed that? Was there some sort of double secret update that DJI snuck in on us?
Not sure about Airsense yet as i had no planes when i was flying but it seems something has changed. I will keep testing just to make sure it stays that way- hopefully

Yeah, I wanted to send mine back but to my surprise I have been getting a lock in like 2 minutes the last 2 days. Not sure what changed, same place I fly every time. But I will still complain as Dji advertised that the M3 will lock GPS faster than any other of their previous drones LOL
Awesome! Now you are one of us!

• Haha
Reactions: Suren
Results seem to be quite varied even for the same drone in the same location. I would expect some variance but 2 mins one day and 6 the next is quite a big difference.

Results seem to be quite varied even for the same drone in the same location. I would expect some variance but 2 mins one day and 6 the next is quite a big difference.
Thats true, for me it went from 6 to 8 then 11 minutes and now I am at 2 minutes and under-Strange

I have performed 3 cold boot tests. One Sunday evening, one Monday morning and another today. I am using the current FW with a calibrated IMU and compass. I go outside in an open area and start the RC Pro and then start Fly. I then power up the drone and after the DJI start sound I start the stopwatch.

All 3 tests after 5-6 minutes, 1st test it would go from 8-10. 2nd and 3rd no more than 8.

So I am disgusted and flying my M2P instead while this M3 is a $2K paperweight with the best camera ever. I hope this is resolved soon. The camera is nothing short of amazing but the airframe carrying it is nothing short of horrible for now. I wish I could bolt the 5/3 on the M2 airframe!

I have performed 3 cold boot tests. One Sunday evening, one Monday morning and another today. I am using the current FW with a calibrated IMU and compass. I go outside in an open area and start the RC Pro and then start Fly. I then power up the drone and after the DJI start sound I start the stopwatch.

All 3 tests after 5-6 minutes, 1st test it would go from 8-10. 2nd and 3rd no more than 8.

So I am disgusted and flying my M2P instead while this M3 is a $2K paperweight with the best camera ever. I hope this is resolved soon. The camera is nothing short of amazing but the airframe carrying it is nothing short of horrible for now. I wish I could bolt the 5/3 on the M2 airframe!
Try an immediate reboot of the battery, as soon as it reaches 8 satellites. Seems to substantially shorten the remaining time to setting the Home Point. Does for me anyway! Usually within 30-60 seconds of the reboot! Total elapsed time from first boot, reboot, and Home Point setting in under 2 minutes, after not having flown for days.

Reactions: chuck1026
Try an immediate reboot of the battery, as soon as it reaches 8 satellites. Seems to substantially shorten the remaining time to setting the Home Point. Does for me anyway! Usually within 30-60 seconds of the reboot! Total elapsed time from first boot, reboot, and Home Point setting in under 2 minutes, after not having flown for days.
I'll give that a try and report back.

I'll give that a try and report back.
Nope. Just as bad as ever. Tried your trick. It's it's a coincidence. I see no change. Change I'm stuck at 7:00 to 8 satellites at toggles and it's been 5 minutes already....

Nope. Just as bad as ever. Tried your trick. It's it's a coincidence. I see no change. Change I'm stuck at 7:00 to 8 satellites at toggles and it's been 5 minutes already....
Then you need trick #2: arm the motors at 8 satellites and ascend to the 96 foot max height, and wait for the Home Point to be acquired there. Should be much faster at 96 feet.

Well I refreshed firmware waited 10 minutes and manage to grab 10 satellites. This thing is a piece of (Mod Removed Language)

My apologies. I got out of line. Just very very disappointed.

Last edited:
That pretty much works every time 😁😁
It also serts the Home Point in the correct location. It will figure out on its own where the ground underneath it is, even if you pass out beneath it, unable to manually land it from 96 feet above you.

Reactions: Suren
Then you need trick #2: arm the motors at 8 satellites and ascend to the 96 foot max height, and wait for the Home Point to be acquired there. Should be much faster at 96 feet.
I think it's firmware, but before the update that made the GPS lock super long, it was still noticeable longer than the M2P. Mine went from about 3-4 minutes to 6-8.

I started keeping an eye on the UAV forecast app and it's satellite numbers. I also unchecked GLONASS and Galileo, and checked Beidou, since I've read that's what the M3 uses. I have not made note of my results yet, but I plan on it!

Also, please, please, do not take off before the home point has been set. Even if just to 96 ft. That is an excellent recipe for a fly away or inaccurate HP's. I can't stress this enough.

I also unchecked GLONASS and Galileo, and checked Beidou, since I've read that's what the M3 uses.
The Mavic 3 uses GPS + Galileo + BeiDou
Also, please, please, do not take off before the home point has been set. Even if just to 96 ft. That is an excellent recipe for a fly away or inaccurate HP's. I can't stress this enough.
Launching before getting a home point doesn't make your drone fly away and if you just waited above the launch point the homepoint will be right where you launched.

I think it's firmware, but before the update that made the GPS lock super long, it was still noticeable longer than the M2P. Mine went from about 3-4 minutes to 6-8.

I started keeping an eye on the UAV forecast app and it's satellite numbers. I also unchecked GLONASS and Galileo, and checked Beidou, since I've read that's what the M3 uses. I have not made note of my results yet, but I plan on it!

Its confirmed to be a firmware issue, see my thread about it been resolved.

The Mavic 3 uses GPS + Galileo + BeiDou

Launching before getting a home point doesn't make your drone fly away and if you just waited above the launch point the homepoint will be right where you launched.
Yeah, they swapped GLONASS for Beidou. There are other variables that can be at play, but for now I'm going to try to keep track of the number of Beidou stats and see if it affects acquisition time.

Launching before GPS will not *cause* a fly away, but it is good practice. Also, if you're moving around, driving especially, a previous HP may be in memory so if something does go wrong while you're in the air and it hasn't updated, it can cause to go to the wrong home point. And, what if it captures the HP when you're above a tree, water, etc?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark