DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 The Tanks - Forster, NSW, Australia.

Terrific filming. Loved the circles of the reef/barrier rocks. Only suggestion might be to try to grab some "surf" soundtrack off the internet and add tat in where the waves are crashing.

Reactions: Squidinc
Interesting mixing of photos and footage. Well captured. Are some of the clips sped up? I could be wrong. Clips with moving water often look better with a speed ramp than a uniform speed increase. Slow motion works better at a uniform speed. You might try shooting 60p so you have more frames to ramp between.

Reactions: Squidinc
Interesting mixing of photos and footage. Well captured. Are some of the clips sped up? I could be wrong. Clips with moving water often look better with a speed ramp than a uniform speed increase. Slow motion works better at a uniform speed. You might try shooting 60p so you have more frames to ramp between.
This question is for you macfawlty- I am trying to learn speed ramping on my Premiere Program. I finally understand how to do it, but I can't really seem to make it look good using my usual clips shot at 24 fps. How can I tell, while I am shooting my regular 24 fps, that I will be speed ramping a clip in post? Should I automatically film everything in 60 fps? What is your usual, every day filming rate in frames per second?

You don’t need to anticipate speed ramping while flying/filming, just capture the full travel and moves. The primary issue is to ensure a very smooth flight path by either flying straight forward/back or using POI. I like using POI while pulling away from the subject with the right stick in a spiral.

Last edited:
You don’t need to anticipate speed ramping while flying/filming, just capture the full travel and moves. The primary issue is to ensure a very smooth flight path by either flying straight forward/back or using POI. I like using POI while pulling away from the subject with the right stick in spiral
I don't think you have yet answered my question. I usually shoot at 24 frames per second. I may or may not be shooting in a straight direction. Now I come to the Premiere editing desk and want to speed up and slow down a section of my clip using speed ramp . The question is
"can I effectively do a speed ramping (time remapping) on. a clip shot at 24 frames per second?"

Apologies. You can speed ramp faster than 24p, but it doesn’t work as well to slow a clip lower than the frame rate. I think it could be accomplished well enough with frame blending. A few seconds at less than the recorded frame rate wouldn’t be noticeable for most viewers. It probably depends on the subject, distance and movement. It would obviously look better than speeding up an entire clip that has course corrections and natural movement like surf or waterfalls.
It’s more pleasing to use real time or slow motion with water, but a long travel to a distant point or a slow POI you want to tighten up the timing for variety and overall video length.Thats when to use speed ramping, to cover the boring section between primary origin and destination.
You could obviously shoot everything in 60p, but it’s unnecessary and not preferred for many subjects. If I was filming a sports action subject, a surf break or waterfall, it would make sense, but flying over a broad landscape, stick with natural motion blur of 24p.

Last edited:
Apologies. You can speed ramp faster than 24p, but it doesn’t work as well to slow a clip lower than the frame rate. I think it could be accomplished well enough with frame blending. A few seconds at less than the recorded frame rate wouldn’t be noticeable for most viewers. It probably depends on the subject, distance and movement. It would obviously look better than speeding up an entire clip that has course corrections and natural movement like surf or waterfalls.
It’s more pleasing to use real time or slow motion with water, but a long travel to a distant point or a slow POI you want to tighten up the timing for variety and overall video length.
Sorry if I am too slow to understand.... I am interpreting your post to say that if I slow down my normal 24fps clip it will not be that noticeable. My main goal (primarily) is to speed ramp FASTER than filmed. Let's say I am approaching a target like a building and I want to quickly increase the speed to 300% then slow back to 24 fps. Or let's suppose I am filming a skier or a boat going along at my preferred 24 fps and then I want to speed it through a section to 300% and then return to 24 fps. Is 24fps ok to use as the base line filming speed?

If you’re speeding up the clip, you’re increasing the number of frames in a 24p timeline, which works fine.

Slowing down a clip filmed at 24fps in a 24p timeline results in duplicated frames. Using frame blending in Premiere interpolates between the frames to smooth out the clip, which can look pretty good, depending... Change Clip Speed and Duration in Adobe Premiere Pro CC
Timelapse sequences, for instance, are captured at 1 frame every 2 seconds or so, which is why they don’t look ‘smooth’. Slow moving parts of the composition like clouds look fine, but cars and people over a 2 second period can’t reasonably be interpolated with frame blending, so we often use slower shutter speeds to blur the moving subjects, which is less distracting than people and cars hopping across the frame.

If you’re speeding up the clip, you’re increasing the number of frames in a 24p timeline, which works fine.

Slowing down a clip filmed at 24fps in a 24p timeline results in duplicated frames. Using frame blending in Premiere interpolates between the frames to smooth out the clip, which can look pretty good, depending... Change Clip Speed and Duration in Adobe Premiere Pro CC
Timelapse sequences, for instance, are captured at 1 frame every 2 seconds or so, which is why they don’t look ‘smooth’. Slow moving parts of the composition like clouds look fine, but cars and people over a 2 second period can’t reasonably be interpolated with frame blending, so we often use slower shutter speeds to blur the moving subjects, which is less distracting than people and cars hopping across the frame.
WONDERFUL! Thanks for that great link. I certainly shall spend a lot of time learning it. Most of my work will be speeding up a segment of a clip, since much of my work is already timelapse.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanmeg