DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There is possibly a legal trademark issue with "Mavic"

Nick Ti

Reactions
The most possibly reasonable explanation I have seen that makes sense.. there is a company in France as Mavic SAS and supposedly DJI applied for the Mavic trademark just couple months ago, and if there is a legal issues with the 2 companies they legally might not be allowed to discuss any of it or even mention it until it's resolved and maybe they are hoping to resolve it really fast and ship them out, who knows, it would suck tho if they can't resolve this and stretch it into next year with another resolution ?? I really hope it's not some legal issue and simply just some software glitch.

first off that Mavic SAS is a company name in a industry completely unrelated Wheel manufactureing) it would be very difficult to defend a trade name with such a different product. Mavis is a model distinction not a company name. The owner of the trademark would have to prove that the violator using the name could or had intent to confuse the consumer or to mislead the trademark holders potential and current consumers. I think that is a long shot and stab in the dark

I am into cycling.... and I really did wonder about that.... I thought it was a very curious name to pick, and yes, Mavic is an industry leader in bicycle wheel (and other bicycle parts) manufacturing. It has been a big brand name for many years (since the 1970's I believe) and they most certainly do have that name trademarked... however sometimes, depending on the popularity of the name it may be limited to the class of goods sold.

Mavic was the first company to make an electronic based bicycle gear shifting system, thus, the class of goods sold would include electronics.... I suspect a bit of trouble for DJI

A bit more info: Mavic - Wikipedia

3-4 times a year I get contacted by Chinese legal firms inquiring about my trade names, they are all very respectful. I can almost guaranty you that the trade name has been qualified and is a non issue, the Chinese are very good at the trademark game as they enter into the western markets. This is not likley something that has been overlooked.

By the way electronics is not a trade name category that covers all electronic components there has to be damages to confuse or steal the trade holders customers with like products.

I don't think thats really an issue. I think DJI is aware of that and PHANTOM as well as INSPIRE are also brand names in some countries.

3-4 times a year I get contacted by Chinese legal firms inquiring about my trade names, they are all very respectful. I can almost guaranty you that the trade name has been qualified and is a non issue, the Chinese are very good at the trademark game as they enter into the western markets. This is not likley something that has been overlooked.

By the way electronics is not a trade name category that covers all electronic components there has to be damages to confuse or steal the trade holders customers with like products.

Yes I too have bee contacted by Chinese about some of my trademarks. What you say may indeed be true about their due diligence, but once a name has world wide recognition there can be issues and confusion.... The only reason I did not confuse the two "Mavic's" was because I new of DJI. Other cyclists could very well go "huh?".... "Mavic is making drones???"...

Pepsi or Coke do not have every trademark category registered, and do not have too... they are recognized throughout the world and would be an untouchable name in any category of goods and services.
I really do have to say that "Mavic" to me really was an odd choice... maybe "Pepsi" would be better? :p

In any case we will know in short order TU

Getting a little bit carried away here? Haha. It looks like a two-week delay. Annoying, but no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I agree, though, that DJI's communications haven't been good. They could have dealt with this much better.

If I was speculating I'd say it's far more likely to be a shipping related issue that's causing the delay. That would explain why none have shipped at all yet.

The only people that have them are the "celebrities", which makes sense, as those pre-prod models would have been shipped individually.

first off that Mavic SAS is a company name in a industry completely unrelated Wheel manufactureing) it would be very difficult to defend a trade name with such a different product. Mavis is a model distinction not a company name. The owner of the trademark would have to prove that the violator using the name could or had intent to confuse the consumer or to mislead the trademark holders potential and current consumers. I think that is a long shot and stab in the dark
I still find the choice of name quite strange to say the least. After all, it's no different to name the new drone the DJI Shimano. Or hell, just call it DJI Ferrari since nobody will confuse the two unrelated products. Why not call it DJI falcon or something. The only reason I can see for the Mavic name is for it being, say, a shortened version of non English speaking Chinese pronunciation of Maverick. Regardless, from the beginning of the internet until now, a search for the word Mavic would yield Mavic bicycle parts. As of now, first page search results are split 50/50 at best with our favorite drone. I don't see this as something Amer Sports, Mavic's parent company would take lightly.
Amer Sports - Wikipedia
After all, its not by accident that Porsche's 901 project, in spite of having 901.whatever in every single part, ended up being called 911. Peugeot's 0 as the center digit of three digit nomenclature was the reason. Yes, at the time Peugeot raised hell and won.

Reactions: Watty
The only reason I can see for the Mavic name is for it being, say, a shortened version of non English speaking Chinese pronunciation of Maverick.

I thought that too. Is this Donkey (monkey) Kong all over again? :D

Someone posted something about firmware issues which leads to fly-aways which is what is causing shipments to be postponed/delayed.

Someone posted something about firmware issues which leads to fly-aways which is what is causing shipments to be postponed/delayed.

Also speculation now about the gesture feature being contested by GoPro leading to both manufacturers delaying shipping while the legal dispute is ironed out. Be nice to know for sure though.

I can´t see any LOGIC behind this firmware theory. Or else, how would all those pre-production Mavics perform solid for many weeks in the hands of so many different testers? On the other hand, the trademark conflict is possible. I´m too a long time cyclist and got confused when I first saw it, I even brought that out in a thread last week or so. It still puzzles me. Not saying it´s that causing the delays, or how DJI would let that slip in the first place... but realistically I see a possibility there.

I can´t see any LOGIC behind this firmware theory. Or else, how would all those pre-production Mavics perform solid for many weeks in the hands of so many different testers? On the other hand, the trademark conflict is possible. I´m too a long time cyclist and got confused when I first saw it, I even brought that out in a thread last week or so. It still puzzles me. Not saying it´s that causing the delays, or how DJI would let that slip in the first place... but realistically I see a possibility there.

In regards to someone posting firmware issues causing flyaways...Check this out: Interesting observation...

I thought this guy was leaving from his last thread, lol. If it was a legal issue like this, you could find court documents on it. They would be filing copyright claims in numerous countries to try to get DJI shut down from using Mavic.

Latest update from DJI Forum: "We are doing the best to keep you up to date. We do not know the reason for the delay. We have asked but do not have an answer as of yet.
We do know that it is not about a patent infringement. We do know that production is proceeding. We don't know when shipments will proceed."

In regards to someone posting firmware issues causing flyaways...Check this out: Interesting observation...

Yeah I saw that, but still that doesn´t prove anything one way or another. I´m not arguing for DJI or anything, like most others I have a formed opinion about their drones but that´s beside the point. A cold look from a different perspective may give some insight: is it possible that all those pre-release Mavics suffered a FW issue or flew away while in the hands of those testers? It´s possible, of course - but IMO highly unlikely.

Different industries. No legal issue...unless....

giphy.gif

Say you're the CEO of Mavic in France. From god knows when until a few weeks ago, any search for Mavic would yield only results related to your product. Fast forward a few weeks and 50% or less of a the first page of search results yields a Chinese drone. Would you be happy? No. Would the stockholders of Amer Sports, the parent company, be happy? No. All because a Chinese drone manufacturer decided to name a drone after a shortened, Asian pronunciation of the word Maverick? Keep in mind that Mavic is like IBM. Mavic - Manufacture d'Articles Vélocipédiques Idoux et Chanel. There is no tree, city, rock, bird, whatever with that name. Only a bike component manufacturer operating under that trade name since 1889.A partner of the Tour de France no less. Hell, what do I know. Maybe Mavic said screw it, pay us whatever, or nothing, and go on your merry way. Me personally I would have called it the DJI falcon. Not like General Dynamics is going to complain if McDonnell Douglas (BA) never complained about the phantom. Besides, all words one finds in dictionaries with no relation to man made products. Or what the hell, call it the DJI Shimano, DJI Glock, DJI Sony, or hey, DJI Hummer. At least with that one you can claim to have used the German word for lobster to name the drone.

Last edited:
Say you're the CEO of Mavic in France. From god knows when until a few weeks ago, any search for Mavic would yield only results related to your product. Fast forward a few weeks and 50% or less of a the first page of search results yields a Chinese drone. Would you be happy? No. Would the stockholders of Amer Sports, the parent company, be happy? No. All because a Chinese drone manufacturer decided to name a drone after a shortened, Asian pronunciation of the word Maverick? Keep in mind that Mavic is like IBM. Mavic - Manufacture d'Articles Vélocipédiques Idoux et Chanel. There is no tree, city, rock, bird, whatever with that name. Only a bike component manufacturer operating under that trade name since 1889.A partner of the Tour de France no less. Hell, what do I know. Maybe Mavic said screw it, pay us whatever, or nothing, and go on your merry way. Me personally I would have called it the DJI falcon. Not like General Dynamics is going to complain if McDonnell Douglas (BA) never complained about the phantom. Besides, all words one finds in dictionaries with no relation to man made products. Or what the hell, call it the DJI Shimano, DJI Glock, DJI Sony, or hey, DJI Hummer. At least with that one you can claim to have used the German word for lobster to name the drone.

Perfectly put. That´s exactly my thinking when I first saw Mavic the drone announced, being a cyclist since the mid-80´s!!!

Reactions: Tinman215
I thought this guy was leaving from his last thread, lol. If it was a legal issue like this, you could find court documents on it. They would be filing copyright claims in numerous countries to try to get DJI shut down from using Mavic.

Not necessarily.... companies usually do not go straight to the courts, it starts with nasty letters from each others attorneys... which of course would not be open to the public. This is all speculation anyway.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78