DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of buying the Classic 3

DJI MAVIC 3 CLASSIC with RC, one battery, spare props and charger (without the 3 station tray) is $1,749. BH# DJMAVIC3CRC This price appears to be tightly controlled by DJI so anything cheaper and I'm guessing its missing one of the items I listed.

Reactions: DanJ
This price appears to be tightly controlled by DJI so anything cheaper and I'm guessing its missing one of the items I listed.
Exactly.
It seems that most everywhere you look the prices are fixed/the same.

Like a lot of DJI listings one has to dig for compatibility, what's included and they make their packaging extremely user un-friendly.

As an example, I had to go into the weeds to see which drones the RC Pro is compatible with. The DJI RC one moment is only compatible with one drone, now it's a couple, now presumably the Mini 3, and Mavic 3 and Air2s(?). Has someone spent $1200 on the RC Pro in that time lapse when they would have purchased the DJI RC for 1/4 the money if they had known it would be available for their drone?

And the Mavic 3... You couldn't (still can't?) buy it without either the RCN1 or the RC Pro. You could use a previously owned RCN1 or a DJI RC or even a previously owned RC Pro for the Mavic 3. But now the Mavic 3 Classic can be purchased without a controller.

And as long as I'm complaining, to get new features for the Mini 3 you have to update to a firmware version which turns on RID, which can't be turned off, even if your flying status doesn't require it. Gosh... I wish a serious competitor would step up. And while my Mini 1 two+ years ago was only $400 Mini 2 was $600 and now the Mini 3 is $900, It's not even just about price for me any more.

I agree it seems strange you can't get the Mavic 3 as a standalone without a controller. Looks like you can get every other consumer DJI drone as a standalone. For me, it's not that big of a deal. I have a Tripltek 8 I use as the screen for a Mini 3 & a Mini 2. When I bought the Mini 3 I paid the $80 extra so I had a dedicated RC-N1 for each drone. That way I don't have to futz around with settings and updates each time I fly a different drone

and if (probably) I buy a refurbished Mavic 3 I'll simply order a 3rd RC-N1 and still have a dedicated controller for each drone. I'll likely sell my Mini 2 at the same time

and yeah, not being able to opt out of remote ID for the Mini 3 if I update is pretty irritating. I'll put that off as long as I can

I agree it seems strange you can't get the Mavic 3 as a standalone without a controller. Looks like you can get every other consumer DJI drone as a standalone. For me, it's not that big of a deal. I have a Tripltek 8 I use as the screen for a Mini 3 & a Mini 2. When I bought the Mini 3 I paid the $80 extra so I had a dedicated RC-N1 for each drone. That way I don't have to futz around with settings and updates each time I fly a different drone

and if (probably) I buy a refurbished Mavic 3 I'll simply order a 3rd RC-N1 and still have a dedicated controller for each drone. I'll likely sell my Mini 2 at the same time

and yeah, not being able to opt out of remote ID for the Mini 3 if I update is pretty irritating. I'll put that off as long as I can
I am considering getting the mini 3 pro,with the DJI RC controller but am wondering if the latest fly app ,and firmware with remote ID
will already be loaded on the controller.

You may very well be correct. But the picture that DJI provided, see below, does not look like there is a battery inside the drone.

At that price, come spring, it may be that I will pick up another drone, possibly one of the M3's when the weather breaks. I do no expect to sell any of my "legacy" drones unless PHYSICALLY or electronically RID is imposed on them that cannot be turned off or removed. I want a good look at how RID pans out before I can be on board with it. I know that RID is an FCC mandated rule, but at best is controversial. But there are times that rules don't make sense- and can even be dangerous. I hope that's not the case with RID, but this is an area that has never been explored before.
It has to include the charger. The battery is always inside the drone. The only deleted item is the RC. Subtract the price of the RC-N1 from the standard Classic package and the difference is only the price of an RC-N1. DJI has never sold a retail drone package without a battery and a charger. You can't do anything with the drone and battery without its dedicated charger, which plugs directly into the drone for charging, unless you buy the Hub separately for $99.

I am considering getting the mini 3 pro,with the DJI RC controller but am wondering if the latest fly app ,and firmware with remote ID
will already be loaded on the controller.
Remote ID is broadcast from the drone, not the RC, so it is the drone FW update which enables the broadcasting of it.

doesn't look like it includes the charger

View attachment 157109

so then you'd have to add $82 for the 3-way charging hub (Amazon) or $79 or the 65W charger (Amazon)

Buy DJI Mavic 3 Classic - DJI Store
Just another DJI glitch! I agree that the photos would imply that it doesn’t, but it has to. The description only says you have to supply your own RC, none of which come with a charger, especially not one that could charge the drone battery. If the charger needed to be bought as well, they would have explicitly stated so, like with the RC. I'm sure if you call DJI, they will confirm that the charger is included. If they say otherwise, and it truly is not included, please report back, and I'll eat my hat! LOL!

I do no expect to sell any of my "legacy" drones unless PHYSICALLY or electronically RID is imposed on them that cannot be turned off or removed. I want a good look at how RID pans out before I can be on board with it. I know that RID is an FCC mandated rule, but at best is controversial. But there are times that rules don't make sense- and can even be dangerous. I hope that's not the case with RID, but this is an area that has never been explored before.
I've decided that the premature activation of Remote ID now is less of a concern than after it becomes mandatory on September 16, 2023. We have a safety window of 10 months. Very few people know about the early activation of RID on the DJI drones, and the supporting apps they would require are not yet working on iOS and are spotty on other apps, and standalone devices that can now receive RID are not yet user friendly. So, we have a 10 month window of safety from drone haters who will definitely be targeting all drone pilots after September 16th, 2023, no matter how legally we are flying. After September 16th, 2023, fly at your own risk, or fly a Mini 2, or un-updated Mini 3 Pro with the stock battery, where no RID is required! Be safe!

Just another DJI glitch! I agree that the photos would imply that it doesn’t, but it has to. The description only says you have to supply your own RC, none of which come with a charger, especially not one that could charge the drone battery. If the charger needed to be bought as well, they would have explicitly stated so, like with the RC. I'm sure if you call DJI, they will confirm that the charger is included. If they say otherwise, and it truly is not included, please report back, and I'll eat my hat! LOL!
I do not believe the charger is included

Drone Nerds has the same 'package' for the same $1469 price, and it doesn't include a charger:

1668489516807.png

DJI Mavic 3 Classic (Drone Only No Remote Included)

it's the same at Adorama:

1668489748349.png

I'm seeing the same thing at B&H photo

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1730110-REG/dji_cp_ma_00000559_01_mavic_3_classic_no.html

I could unerstand how it might have been an oversight at DJI...but not the exact same oversight at DJI, DroneNerds, Adorama, & B&H Photo. Especially when all 4 sites show the propellers as part of the package but are omitting the much more expensive charger

I do not believe the charger is included

Drone Nerds has the same 'package' for the same $1469 price, and it doesn't include a charger:

View attachment 157173

DJI Mavic 3 Classic (Drone Only No Remote Included)

it's the same at Adorama:

View attachment 157174

I'm seeing the same thing at B&H photo

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1730110-REG/dji_cp_ma_00000559_01_mavic_3_classic_no.html

I could unerstand how it might have been an oversight at DJI...but not the exact same oversight at DJI, DroneNerds, Adorama, & B&H Photo. Especially when all 4 sites show the propellers as part of the package but are omitting the much more expensive charger
I agree that the available evidence supports that belief, but what is someone to do with the drone and their own RC without the charger? Logic reigns supreme. Unfortunately, everything is still pre-order, so no way to positively confirm either theory yet, and the authorized resellers are obviously erring on the side of caution, using the DJI website for their own ad copy.

I suppose one could charge the drone battery with the USB-C charging cable that comes with the available RC's, using one of the 30W chargers the other newer DJI drones came with, but that takes 8+ hours, as some have discovered, when they used the detachable USB-C cable by mistake, instead of the skinny, orange tipped 65W USB-C cable that is hardwired to the charger.

No one believed the RC Pro was included in the Air 2S Smart Controller Combo bundle last December for $1600. Even the box still said Smart Controller on the outside with an SC photo. Many recipients called false advertising on B&H and sent it back, unopened! Yet, those that ordered that bundle, and opened the box, each received the $1200 RC Pro inside, despite DJI and B&H telling everyone it was a different RC Pro than the one used with the Mavic 3, and could not be used with the Mavic 3. Yet, as we all know, it was the same RC Pro controller, needing only a later FW update to make it fully compatible with the Mavic 3, and the Air 2S.

The charger is only $79, but it is also OUT OF STOCK at DJI, which would make for very unhappy buyers of the $1469 package, if the needed charger wasn't even in stock from DJI! No joy for them!

FCBB5E6D-63DD-4B51-8B6A-12BBD21143BF.jpeg

Stay tuned. We shall soon see.
Anyone have a recommended sauce for a hat, in case I am proven wrong? LOL!

Last edited:
Remote ID is broadcast from the drone, not the RC, so it is the drone FW update which enables the broadcasting of it.
Right but am wondering if the very latest firmware would be loaded on the drone ,with RID included in the update.
or would it be an older version.This might be a tough one considering when the drone was manufactured.

I agree that the available evidence supports that belief, but what is someone to do with the drone and their own RC without the charger? Logic reigns supreme. Unfortunately, everything is still pre-order, so no way to positively confirm either theory yet, and the authorized resellers are obviously erring on the side of caution, using the DJI website for their own ad copy.

I suppose one could charge the drone battery with the USB-C charging cable that comes with the available RC's, using one of the 30W chargers the other newer DJI drones came with, but that takes 8+ hours, as some have discovered, when they used the detachable USB-C cable by mistake, instead of the skinny, orange tipped 65W USB-C cable that is hardwired to the charger.

No one believed the RC Pro was included in the Air 2S Smart Controller Combo bundle last December for $1600. Even the box still said Smart Controller on the outside with an SC photo. Many recipients called false advertising on B&H and sent it back, unopened! Yet, those that ordered that bundle, and opened the box, each received the $1200 RC Pro inside, despite DJI and B&H telling everyone it was a different RC Pro than the one used with the Mavic 3, and could not be used with the Mavic 3. Yet, as we all know, it was the same RC Pro controller, needing only a later FW update to make it fully compatible with the Mavic 3, and the Air 2S.

The charger is only $79, but it is also OUT OF STOCK at DJI, which would make for very unhappy buyers of the $1469 package, if the needed charger wasn't even in stock from DJI! No joy for them!

View attachment 157176

Stay tuned. We shall soon see.
Anyone have a recommended sauce for a hat, in case I am proven wrong? LOL!
like I said, I simply can't believe 4 different vendors have the same oversight

besides that, isn't charging a single battery accomplished by installing the battery in the drone and bringing in power thru a type-C USB plug? Lots of people already have 65W charging hubs/plugs and type-C cords. And there is no law that says you can't use a slower charger. It would take a long time but still do the job

in fact, if you go to Amazon and search for 65W chargers, you'll find dozens of chargers, and almost all of them much cheaper than DJI's version (and yeah, I know that a lot of them don't have the full 65W coming thru a single plug; probably have to go for a 100W charger to get 65W on one channel)

Amazon.com : 65w usb c charger

in other words, a DJI 65W charger wouldn't be needed. If you want that 3-way charger than you have to buy it, just like you would if you wanted extra batteries or ND filters. That charging hub is available at DJI and all those other vendors

Reactions: vindibona1
Right but am wondering if the very latest firmware would be loaded on the drone ,with RID included in the update.
or would it be an older version.This might be a tough one considering when the drone was manufactured.
The latest Mini 3 Pro FW update enables RID, and may require a Fly update to even arm the motors afterwards. On a new Mini 3 Pro purchased today, the FW likely isn't updated yet, depending upon the manufacturing date and the stock from which it was purchased. DJI doesn't update FW after the date of manufacture before sale.

The latest Mini 3 Pro FW update enables RID, and may require a Fly update to even arm the motors afterwards. On a new Mini 3 Pro purchased today, the FW likely isn't updated yet, depending upon the manufacturing date and the stock from which it was purchased. DJI doesn't update FW after the date of manufacture before sale.
Thanks much for the info

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Let's face it; DJI's communications and marketing is a mess, and a little bit sneaky/sly IMO. They knew a long time ago that the Mavic 3 Classic was on the drawing board and we all recognize that really the only difference of the M3 and M3C is the camera/gimbal with the M3C not havineg a 7x piggyback camera. With the M3 and M3c the standard designated controller is the RCN1, which many of us already have from a Mini 2, Air2 or Air2s. So why didn't they have any Mavic 3 package without a controller. And then to complete the fiasco, suddenly they made the DJI RC controller compatible with the M3, M3c as well as the Mini 3 and one could buy the DJI RC separately for $300 when I would suppose many pilots sprung $1200 for the RC pro when the DJI RC would have sufficed. You can call it many things. Perhaps unscrupulous is too strong, so I'll just call it "consumer unfriendly".

STOP READING HERE IF YOU DON'T LIKE SEMI-RELATED TANGENTIAL SIDE ANECDOTES

A number of years ago it was time to trade in my 1992 Ford explorer for another SUV. I had my eye on a Dodge Durango. So I went to the local Dodge dealer to see what was available. The Durango had multiple "levels" of trim. But when you went from one level to the next, some of the equipment on the previous level was omitted and you had to go to the next level up again to get it back on the equipment list. I think there were 4 levels involved and a lot of add this/takeaway that. It was maddening And then there was the circular dance with the sales dude who couldn't give me straight answers, particularly because I wasn't sure if I would buy or lease. I was ready to do a deal if I got a straight answer, but no. And the next day was his day off. Fast forward to his day off.

I had heard about a lease deal special for a Lexus RX300. I called the sales manager and asked where the "curve ball" was. He said there was no curve ball and it was all a straight deal. I asked, what packages are available. He replied, all the equipment is included on every unit. He sent over a draft copy of the contract (via fax at that time) and after reading I drove over, picked out my color and did all the paperwork inside of 30 minutes and was very happy. So happy I leased another when the first lease was done.

I guess the purpose of the anecdote is to note that there doesn't need to be any games. A good product, well priced, without any fancy package dancing without better priced and packaged products on the heels of the original product create respect and loyalty, rather than resentment. I have to wonder how many people who originaly bought the M3 are wondering why they paid so much when what they needed could so much cheaper with so many more options?

And pray you get a good one. Just spent all day on and off talking with customer service. "Reset the drone and re test". "Refresh the firmware and retest" "Try d-cinelike instead of Dlog" OMG!!! The M3C doesn't support d-cinelike!!! "This is probably normal" Colors massively shifting sporadically is normal? "We will have to send this to senior engineers please wait a few days to hear back". I think it would have been easier to run it into a brick wall and use refresh. Good Grief!!!!
Sorry for your pain. It's a new release, probably rushed to get out before Xmas, still with bugs.

I'd love to have one of the M3 series, but I'm going to wait a few months before getting another drone, at least until spring hits. Hopefully all the bugs will be worked out and new features will abound and stock will be plentiful. If I had to buy right now I might be leaning toward a refurb M3. I dunno. I'll have to see how it goes in 5-6 mos. All I know is that right now food is up 30%, electric and gas are up 37% and 100% respectively and gasoline is back up to $5. And now we head into winter. Hopefully things will improve by April, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sorry for your pain. It's a new release, probably rushed to get out before Xmas, still with bugs.

I'd love to have one of the M3 series, but I'm going to wait a few months before getting another drone, at least until spring hits. Hopefully all the bugs will be worked out and new features will abound and stock will be plentiful. If I had to buy right now I might be leaning toward a refurb M3. I dunno. I'll have to see how it goes in 5-6 mos. All I know is that right now food is up 30%, electric and gas are up 37% and 100% respectively and gasoline is back up to $5. And now we head into winter. Hopefully things will improve by April, but I'm not holding my breath.
Things are getting stupid expensive for sure. From responses to my posts here and elsewhere, this seems to be a rather rather malfunction. I've watched a ton of M3 footage from other folks and never seen this issue on anything published. The drone is on it's way to see Dr. DJI and hopefully I will get something back that works better. The M3 release sure has been plagued with a lot of problems for sure. At the moment I'm back to flying old faithful MP2. Not a bad image at all just not that MFT look.

@DanJ when I bought my Mavic 3 last March I didn't have a choice but if I was buying now I would still choose the Mavic 3 with the Tele camera even with the additional cost. Having two cameras on one drone makes it an amazingly flexible camera drone. Today I was out taking shots of some old building ruins concealed in dense forest that are now more visible with snow on the ground and leaves off the trees, however without the Tele lens I could not have gotten close up shots as the tall trees would have prevented me from getting in close and the wide angle lens gives a perspective that I was not looking for. The Tele lens gave me options I would not of otherwise had.

Many people describe the tele lens as garbage or as a toy. Initially when the Mavic 3 first came out before all the firmware updates the lens was much less useful but now it is much more refined and very useful.

Chris

Reactions: GadgetGuy and DanJ
@DanJ when I bought my Mavic 3 last March I didn't have a choice but if I was buying now I would still choose the Mavic 3 with the Tele camera even with the additional cost. Having two cameras on one drone makes it an amazingly flexible camera drone. Today I was out taking shots of some old building ruins concealed in dense forest that are now more visible with snow on the ground and leaves off the trees, however without the Tele lens I could not have gotten close up shots as the tall trees would have prevented me from getting in close and the wide angle lens gives a perspective that I was not looking for. The Tele lens gave me options I would not of otherwise had.

Many people describe the tele lens as garbage or as a toy. Initially when the Mavic 3 first came out before all the firmware updates the lens was much less useful but now it is much more refined and very useful.

Chris
Still sitting on the fence.
What I do know is that there is software out now that intelligently enlarges images by quite a bit.
I have been impressed by Topaz Gigapixel Ai. There are limitations to how big you can go and still retain detail but nevertheless...

Still sitting on the fence.
What I do know is that there is software out now that intelligently enlarges images by quite a bit.
I have been impressed by Topaz Gigapixel Ai. There are limitations to how big you can go and still retain detail but nevertheless...
Yes, I have the Topaz photography bundle which includes Gigapixel. They also have a new Photo Ai which I have been using quite a bit. Great software.

Chris

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deek7623