DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This Hacker Tool Can Pinpoint a DJI Drone Operator’s Exact Location Every DJI quadcopter broadcasts its operator’s position via radio—unencrypted. Now

I think the point they are missing is it was the intention of the FAA for anyone and everyone to be able to get the location of the drone and the pilot in real time for “public transparency.” To the FAA this is a feature not a bug.

We’ve been saying forever that this is a huge privacy issue.

The most surprising aspect of this article is that it took the researchers any effort at all to “decode” the signal.

Interesting on the privacy issue. Objectively speaking, If I'm not mistaken, FAA controls all airspace, from the ground up, so wouldn't any aircraft be subject to visibility at all times? There really is no distinction in the eyes of the FAA. If that is in deed correct then I would think privacy issues don't apply if it's in the air.

Interesting on the privacy issue. Objectively speaking, If I'm not mistaken, FAA controls all airspace, from the ground up, so wouldn't any aircraft be subject to visibility at all times? There really is no distinction in the eyes of the FAA. If that is in deed correct then I would think privacy issues don't apply if it's in the air.
right but people arn't going to go looking for the pilot of an airplane that's 20000 feet up, but the drone haters will track down a drone pilot who's on the ground and, harass him, possibly attack him, destroy or steel his equipment. That violates our privacy and security. I don't care if they know were my drone is , But I don't want them finding me!!

I’m sure you’re aware of the new RemoteID laws meant, as you say, to keep drones ‘subject to visibility at all times.’ There is currently no such requirement, as RemoteID kicks in later this year. Even so, the AIr Force just shot down a balloon and three ’objects unknown’ that certainly weren’t identifying themselves.

The other issue here is that no one knew about the unencrypted nature of the Aeroscope data stream from dji drones. It’s always nice to know what you’re flying.

This issue reminds me of the lack of encryption in the Anker / Eufy home security cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudThunder
  • Wow
Sorry to be a downer, but from what I read from my flight instructor revalidation information, bad times are coming for non commercial drones. The FAA has the idea that hobby drones are on the decline, and commercial drone are booming. I have a 107 but I consider myself a hobbyist.

As someone else mentioned but I will expand on, the thing that privacy advocates have an issue with is that the location of the pilot that is on the ground is being transmitted in real time. I don’t think the drones themselves have any right or expectation of privacy, however, people do.

Tempest in a teapot. I am a ham radio operator as well and I could do this....but why would I want to? Your drone is broadcasting a very low power and short range transmission. That means someone would have to be within a few hundred meters or so, have the necessary equipment and have a real reason to do it.

Sure, the Feds and State governments with nothing better to spend taxpayer dollars on could equip their people to do this as well as private security protecting potentially sensitive targets could do it but your chances of running into someone close to you with the equipment and know how to track you or your drone are slim to none.

There are not too many people willing to spend the money and learn the knowhow to be able to do this. As far as being armed goes that is just good sense any day of the week but that is a different subject. One is far more likely to have someone with only the Mark IV eyeballs as equipment see you fly your drone and either be curious or upset than anyone trying to track a glorified bluetooth radio signal.

right but people arn't going to go looking for the pilot of an airplane that's 20000 feet up, but the drone haters will track down a drone pilot who's on the ground and, harass him, possibly attack him, destroy or steel his equipment. That violates our privacy and security. I don't care if they know were my drone is , But I don't want them finding me!!
Exactly.

As someone else mentioned but I will expand on, the thing that privacy advocates have an issue with is that the location of the pilot that is on the ground is being transmitted in real time. I don’t think the drones themselves have any right or expectation of privacy, however, people do.
You have no expectation of privacy once you leave your home.

Sorry to be a downer, but from what I read from my flight instructor revalidation information, bad times are coming for non commercial drones. The FAA has the idea that hobby drones are on the decline, and commercial drone are booming. I have a 107 but I consider myself a hobbyist.
I'm like you. I'm part 107 certified for 5 years but I too fly as a hobbyist.

Yes, folks knew about Aeroscope, but no one was told that the data stream was unencrypted.
I used to do some work in AIS (ship tracking data) for blue force tracking of military vessels. To encrypt the data stream was very CPU intensive which means using a more powerful CPU that sucked up a lot of power. That was 15 years ago; maybe CPU's used in cell phones today might work.

IMHO this is what started this whole mess.
Amazon and others want to use drones for commercial purposes.
Currently they "share" the airspace and would be responsible for collisions with personal drones.
They are IMHO trying to kill hobby drones by regulating them out of existence to satisfy the big corporations with plenty of $$$. Then the low altitude space is clear of nuisances.

Not entirely. For example if a woman with a baby needs to breastfeed and seeks out a spot removed from general traffic it is an offense to take a photograph because she took steps to find a secluded area.
Many such examples.

Well flying a drone from your home is almost certainly the most common place to fly a drone. You also have an expectation of privacy inside your vehicle which is why LE need probable cause or a warrant to search a vehicle.

At any rate what you are talking about is privacy from illegal searches and seizures from the government. What we are talking about is the government requiring you to announce the exact location of your person in real time to the general public. Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I can see that is absolutely unprecedented in the history of the United States. We fear not the government in this case, but fellow citizens.

• Wow
Well flying a drone from your home is almost certainly the most common place to fly a drone. You also have an expectation of privacy inside your vehicle which is why LE need probable cause or a warrant to search a vehicle.

At any rate what you are talking about is privacy from illegal searches and seizures from the government. What we are talking about is the government requiring you to announce the exact location of your person in real time to the general public. Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I can see that is absolutely unprecedented in the history of the United States. We fear not the government in this case, but fellow citizens.

Well, it's worth noting that most people (and most drone owners) are voluntarily carrying devices that continuously broadcast not only their position, but also what they've looked at on the web recently.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa