DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tourist crashes drone through window in NYC

Luckily it supposedly crashed through the window and didnt fall to the ground from the 21st floor. There could have been assault or a variety of other charges filed against him if it hit anyone.

Reactions: Zeke and FMR
I’m surprised that that drone could break through that window. Seems like the window should have able to resist.

But yeah hand cuffs was a little much I think.

The arrest may have been more to do with him being a tourist from out of the country. A similar example would be in my city, public urination is simply a ticket....whereas if you are from outside of the country, it would then become an arrest...the penalties are the same, but the manner in which it is handled is different.

Reactions: Tonyr68
The arrest may have been more to do with him being a tourist from out of the country. A similar example would be in my city, public urination is simply a ticket....whereas if you are from outside of the country, it would then become an arrest...the penalties are the same, but the manner in which it is handled is different.
Yep. They don’t want them leaving town till the case is heard and fines are paid.

I was curious as to the actual filed charges, so I looked up his charges on the city courts website: the article seems to be wrong. He wasn't charged at all for illegally flying a drone in city, but for recklessly damaging property worth over $250. (NY Penal law § 145.00 Criminal mischief in the fourth degree).

I was curious as to the actual filed charges, so I looked up his charges on the city courts website: the article seems to be wrong. He wasn't charged at all for illegally flying a drone in city, but for recklessly damaging property worth over $250. (NY Penal law § 145.00 Criminal mischief in the fourth degree).

so, a class A misdemeanour, which in NYC means; not more than one year in jail and not more than $1,000 in fines. He probably wont get any jail time and a $1000 fine seems pretty low.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Small Drone like Mavik can't break the window. That would be a hazard to have so easily broken windows at that hight.
The other thing, why in right mind you would fly it in Times Square? Sh**ty GPS signal, a lot of people and police presence. I am surprised that he was not arrested at the point of take off...

Sounds like that generally, you people think screwing up, ignoring rules meant to protect others should be ignored or treated very gently—until it's your turn to sue? Slaps on wrists are what got us here where people want to make exceptions rather then examples. Look up "exemplary," it means that one need not make excuses, just progress.

My thoughts exactly
Windows on a 21st floor are subject to some serious wind stresses and I have a hard time imagining a MP could actually break all the way thru and end up inside. I would also expect that these windows were double paned.

I’ll bet it costs a fortune to replace a window on the 21st floor. I think I would of just left town.

They replace it on the inside lol

Reactions: JDawg
I’m surprised that that drone could break through that window. Seems like the window should have able to resist.

But yeah hand cuffs was a little much I think.

Handcuffs setting an example to other idiotic Drone Operators with stuff all responsibility **

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian