DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tower Restricts to 100 Feet

Hi there.
Not a US dude, but quite good with aerial laws and rules.
I must miss something in your thinking, but the last sentence of the point 7 of your FAA guidelines is "the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements"
Depending of the airspace Class -D in for case- even a real plane under VFR needs a clearance for any action, how come a UAS pilot could have more rights? On my side, I would clearly read "if the airspace request clearance to take off or transit, I definitely need one". This clearance can be of course a "yes" with conditions, or a simple "no" because could be appropriate regarding the surrounding elements.
If ATC give you any piece of constraint, please listen to them, they are the only persons really aware of any aircraft, security/law enforcement mission, authority, etc. And also, for security matters, they are not obliged to give any piece of explanation. So if the airspace within 5 miles is E or uncontrolled (class F or G) then yes, just advising them like any "real" pilot would do, then go, fire up your drone and listen to them or not, your call.
If the airspace class is A to D, the "applicable airspace requirements" are "mandatory clearance for anything".
I would clearly comply because... they might know something I'm not aware of.
Or they might also act dumb, because as in every corporation you'll have dumb and lazy people, it's simple magic math.

PS: French ATC here, private pilote and drone enthusiast.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
googleplazadorn