DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracker recommendations?

vertrider

Reactions
Dear all,

I am a Mavic Pro user from Germany.

What GPS Tracker would you recommend? I found a few on Amazon but not sure if they are suitable. There seem to be quality/reliability issues, and all require some kind of server service by the manufacturer?

Second Idea was...: I have a leftover iPhone 5 from family, and was wondering if it could be used (enclosed in a waterproof case) and attached on top of Mavic as a GPS tracker using the „find my friends“ app (rather than „find my phone“) - my friend the Mavic, hahaha. But I assume the iPhone would interfere with Mavic‘s RC channel etc?

Finally, met a Mavic Pro flyer last fall during a hike, and he had that tracker on the image attached. Can‘t find that model. Anyone knows? As well it seems quite big...

Thanks for recommendations.
Cheers,
Chris
View attachment 27644

Last edited:
RF-V16 is my recommendation.

Cost me about £18 from China so 20 odd euros.

Works on GSM network with a sim card of your choice.

2 options for tracking, automatic data upload at set intervals to manufacturers app or as I do switch off data and when you want a location simply sms the tracker and it will reply directly with Google maps link.

Can be mounted on top, side of legs or with a bracket at rear as I do.

Works as a phone so you can call it and it will ring, handy if you land in underrgrowth etc.

Has an SOS button so if anyone finds and presses, it will call your phone and you can talk directly to them.

There are other options which do not require cellular like Marco Polo however it's not legal to use those frequencies in the UK and clash with a few of the networks 3g spectrum.
Not sure about Germany but think it might be a EU thing reserving the frequencys for GSM, land and maritime military.

Last edited:
Found it on Amazon as well, incl Prime. It has many positive reviews and only a few negative ones.

price ranges from 30 to 50+ Euros. There are black and white ones, and even one with pink buttons.

price ranges from 30 to 50+ Euros. There are black and white ones, and even one with pink buttons.
That's not bad.
It's about 22 euro direct so that's pretty good for getting it quickly.

You also need a sim card so remember that if you go for it.

I use a pay as you go one in UK. I didn't need data allowances etc, it works out 5p per SMS, minute & MB.

I topped it up with £10 months ago, did some testing with data upload enabled and texting it etc still have £9.05 credit.

Good luck with your decision. If you need any more advice give me a shout.

One more tip.

Personally when adding anything to mavic I calibrate compass with it in place and would calibrate again if I ever flew without it.

The compass interference is minor when placed at back and would probably cause no issues at all but calibration with tracker in place stops any compas interference all together. The tracker then becomes part of the mavics magnetic signature.

Reactions: vertrider
One more tip.

Personally when adding anything to mavic I calibrate compass with it in place and would calibrate again if I ever flew without it.

The compass interference is minor when placed at back and would probably cause no issues at all but calibration with tracker in place stops any compas interference all together. The tracker then becomes part of the mavics magnetic signature.

great tip, thank you!

thank you, that sounds excellent.
The only thing you need to consider is whether you'll actually have cellphone signal, especially if it's on the ground.
Many places I fly don't have any decent signal and the SIM-enabled trackers will be useless in this situation.
I thought about the Marco Polo but it's just too large and cumbersome and needs charging too frequently.
So I went for the Loc8tor. And made a video on it.... Not perfect, but for me, this seemed a better option. I guess you could hedge your bets and have both :)

Cheers
Ian

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras