DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracking your shot deer in Pennsylvania may land you in jail.

Unfortunately when it comes to drones PLUS hunting, we have thousands of government entities that can decide whatever they want (for the most part) and they can all be different (i.e. you don't have the right or freedom to fly or use a drone). When it comes to hunting and fishing, the industry is well know for it's contrasting laws, it's uneven enforcement, and it's variability across jurisdictions and this goes for both public and private property. Unless you are indigenous, you likely don't stand a chance against the wardens and rangers that are the law enforcement responsible for hunting and fishing. Even if you have a law on your side, you likely won't prevail (if they don't want you to) because those officials have so much wide discretion. Bottom line is there isn't much you can do in this area until drones become well-established.

I know of someone at work who was asking about using a heat sensor of something like that to track deer for hunting. I said I didn't have a clue ( and I don't ) about using a drone to track deer. I've never been a hunter and I'm clueless about the use of anything like that to assist in hunting. I should tell him check to see if it's legal or not.

Reactions: Cafguy
Personally I don't think drones should have any part in hunting. Hunting is a sport to do with out help from drones or anything else that make it easier for the hunter. You want to hunt do it the way it was done before drones and other devices to make it easier for you. Be a real hunter and do it right.

I don't know about PA But for a long time now (and They are VERY willing to prosecute!) The use of drones to hunt or pursue wildlife is prohibited in California.

“No person shall pursue, drive, herd, or take any bird or mammal from any type of motor-driven air or land vehicles, motorboat, airboat, sailboat, or snowmobile. Additionally, no person shall use any motorized, hot-air, or unpowered aircraft or other device capable of flight or any earth orbiting imaging device to locate or assist in locating big game mammals beginning 48 hours before and continuing until 48 hours after any big game hunting season in the same area” (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 251(a)).

The pursuit of birds and mammals by the use of any “motorized water, land or air vehicle” to “pursue, drive or herd any bird or mammal” is also prohibited, with limited exceptions that do not include hunting (Fish and Game Code, section 3003.5). (159)

EDIT: For those members with the Time, Means, and Cash to Orbit your own imaging device above the planet., Remember you will have to shut it off as it passes California When Hunting.

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with not using drones to track, herd, monitor animals during a hunt. That said I have no issue with a drone being used to track and recover an animal that has been shot. Once shot an animal should be recovered by any means that aids in its life not being a waste of resources. While I no longer hunt, I have no issue with those that hunt for food and have never found credence to hunting “horns”. Hunting for food means the animal needs to be recovered. Drones can provide a safe and effective means to do so.

I wholeheartedly agree with not using drones to track, herd, monitor animals during a hunt. That said I have no issue with a drone being used to track and recover an animal that has been shot. Once shot an animal should be recovered by any means that aids in its life not being a waste of resources. While I no longer hunt, I have no issue with those that hunt for food and have never found credence to hunting “horns”. Hunting for food means the animal needs to be recovered. Drones can provide a safe and effective means to do so.

Very well said!!

Keep in mind that this is potentially help someone NO waste the animal that was shot and killed. It's extremely important to to HARVEST anything you've taken and this is but another tool (until it's abused, and it WILL be (IS) abused) in the bag to help not waste anything.

Do we know of any L.E.(specifically game warden entities)that utilize drones for monitoring illegal game activities?

Personally I don't think drones should have any part in hunting. Hunting is a sport to do with out help from drones or anything else that make it easier for the hunter. You want to hunt do it the way it was done before drones and other devices to make it easier for you. Be a real hunter and do it right.
Have not hunted since before the drone days. I agree in not using them for hunting with one exception. If you shot an animal with a bow or rifle and the animal ran off. I feel that you should be able to use it ONLY for tracking the animal to locate it should it still be alive in order to prevent pain and suffering. IMHO

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Have not hunted since before the drone days. I agree in not using them for hunting with one exception. If you shot an animal with a bow or rifle and the animal ran off. I feel that you should be able to use it ONLY for tracking the animal to locate it should it still be alive in order to prevent pain and suffering. IMHO
I might agree with this

Using a drone for locating a wounded deer might be a good thing. Using drones to hunt deer is wrong, in my opinion, as many state laws state.

The problem with allowing drones for deer recovery is that it complicates enforcement of laws against using them for hunting. When a warden finds a fellow with a drone and rifle, the fellow can claim to be searching for a lost deer rather than hunting. And people using a drone for deer recovery can shoot a different deer and claim it was shot earlier without the drone.

Using a drone for locating a wounded deer might be a good thing. Using drones to hunt deer is wrong, in my opinion, as many state laws state.

The problem with allowing drones for deer recovery is that it complicates enforcement of laws against using them for hunting. When a warden finds a fellow with a drone and rifle, the fellow can claim to be searching for a lost deer rather than hunting. And people using a drone for deer recovery can shoot a different deer and claim it was shot earlier without the drone.
Some hunters want to use drones just to film the hunt and unfortunately in some places, just having a drone in your car or in the camp or at the cabin....wherever it is anywhere near the hunt and they've been known not only to cite the hunter but also confiscate the drone. There's no way to ensure the drone is not being use illegally. I've heard of search warrants obtained to footage and computer, etc. Personally I think it is sad but it's not out of line considering the other issues heard about with hunting issues.

I no longer hunt, but what about feral hogs? They need to be destroyed by any means possible.

IMG_5677.jpeg

Reactions: BigAl07
I no longer hunt, but what about feral hogs? They need to be destroyed by any means possible.

View attachment 171789

It's funny you mention this... we shot aerials for a TV show back in 2016 for The Travel Channel and part of it was at a Wild Hog Farm in eastern NC. We didn't fly at night so we didn't get any footage of "The Hunt" but it was awesome being there because they, at the time, were the only place in the US that was "legally licensed/permitted" to hunt/kill wild hogs with EXPLOSIVES and AUTOMATIC firearms. Again, we didn't get to see any cool explosives but we did get some great footage of AUTOMATIC firearms in use. We were shooting at T&M Hunting Properties in Four Oaks NC.

I had no idea how much of a problem they really are until then.

Reactions: Rchawks and SWTSU
It's funny you mention this... we shot aerials for a TV show back in 2016 for The Travel Channel and part of it was at a Wild Hog Farm in eastern NC. We didn't fly at night so we didn't get any footage of "The Hunt" but it was awesome being there because they, at the time, were the only place in the US that was "legally licensed/permitted" to hunt/kill wild hogs with EXPLOSIVES and AUTOMATIC firearms. Again, we didn't get to see any cool explosives but we did get some great footage of AUTOMATIC firearms in use. We were shooting at T&M Hunting Properties in Four Oaks NC.

I had no idea how much of a problem they really are until then.
Ok, well maybe using Drones isn't such an extreme measure 😳

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
Ok, well maybe using Drones isn't such an extreme measure 😳
As for extreme measures, look on the web for the commercial operations offering helicopter wild hog "hunts" with fully automatic rifles. Prices start at about $3000 at Helibacon for semi-automatic rifles to $5500 for full auto. Yes, it's in Texas.

Helicopter depredation of wild hog populations is common, though it's more often the job of trained and qualified professionals rather than Larry Bob's bachelor party crew.

Reactions: Cafguy and Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure