DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK new Mavic Owner

Mike357

Reactions
Hi from Medway Kent, just got my Mavic a couple of days ago, took the plunge and upgraded from my phantom 3s. I'm completely blown away by the performance increase. I had done the dbs upgrade on my p3s remote and got a max range of just over 7000 feet, though the video was stuttering badly, yesterday achieved 7500 feet with perfect control and video feed, still didn't feel like it was anywhere near the limit.

I use an i-phone 6s+, with the dji connection cable I experienced dji go4 disconnections at around 1000 ft, Litchi disconnecting randomly. Thanks to this forum I then tried the other USB port with another cable, 3 flights since then and not a single issue, so thank you all for a forum crammed full of useful info, a few humorous tales and some great photos and videos.

I do have a couple of questions, has anyone tried a different cable from the usual mini port to their iPhone, and if so was it still disconnecting? I'm wondering if it's the cable or the port making the difference, (or even the change in iPhone orientation)

If it's just the cable is there any aftermarket supplier who makes a direct replacement for the one supplied by dji?

Happy and safe flying guys
Mike

Hi from Medway Kent, just got my Mavic a couple of days ago, took the plunge and upgraded from my phantom 3s. I'm completely blown away by the performance increase. I had done the dbs upgrade on my p3s remote and got a max range of just over 7000 feet, though the video was stuttering badly, yesterday achieved 7500 feet with perfect control and video feed, still didn't feel like it was anywhere near the limit.

I use an i-phone 6s+, with the dji connection cable I experienced dji go4 disconnections at around 1000 ft, Litchi disconnecting randomly. Thanks to this forum I then tried the other USB port with another cable, 3 flights since then and not a single issue, so thank you all for a forum crammed full of useful info, a few humorous tales and some great photos and videos.

I do have a couple of questions, has anyone tried a different cable from the usual mini port to their iPhone, and if so was it still disconnecting? I'm wondering if it's the cable or the port making the difference, (or even the change in iPhone orientation)

If it's just the cable is there any aftermarket supplier who makes a direct replacement for the one supplied by dji?

Happy and safe flying guys
Mike
Howdy from Wyoming, Mike357, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: Mike357
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

A lot of people have problems with that cable. I'm assuming it's not an issue with the port itself since the remote controller can still usually be charged with a micro USB cable.

A lot of people are selling this 3rd party cable. I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth a try if you want to use the side port.

Cable.jpg

Hi deggers, have one on order arriving today hopefully [emoji3].

Though It solves the problem and makes the Mavic work as it should with the original cable, I am curious as to whether the problem is from the cable or the port.

If it is the cable then surely dji should acknowledge responsibility (given they state compatibility of the phone) and send a replacement cable that works correctly to all those who spent hard earned money on their product.

If it were a car then a solution would be expected pdq.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .:)

Hi deggers, have one on order arriving today hopefully [emoji3].

Though It solves the problem and makes the Mavic work as it should with the original cable, I am curious as to whether the problem is from the cable or the port.

If it is the cable then surely dji should acknowledge responsibility (given they state compatibility of the phone) and send a replacement cable that works correctly to all those who spent hard earned money on their product.

If it were a car then a solution would be expected pdq.

Mate my experience from my first flights out with both an Android phone and iPhone 7s using the cables provided and connected to the side was constant disconnect with both phones and apps running on both operating systems even though the controller is connected and I'm stood over the Mav. All I know is bought one of these plug it into the USB port below and only used my iPhone at the moment and not had one single reoccurrence so now only use the side port for charging. :)

And I'm nervous enough about flying the Mav I don't need the app to crash or say disconnected every five mins :)

Thanks, I flew 2 flights this afternoon using USB port to iPhone on an anker cable, not one glitch. Just received the toways 9cm cable, will try it tomorrow. I have also ordered the braided cable to connect the side port to the iPhone (direct replacement cable) will let you know how that works out when it arrives, expected early August.

Thanks everyone for your kind welcome to the Mavic pilots forum, hope to be able to contribute as well as take. Happy and safe flying [emoji41]

Just flown 9 miles with 2 batteries, up to one and a half miles away using the toways cable from the controllers USB port. Rock solid video through both flights, so that'll be my goto connection from here on. Thanks all for the recommendations.

Last edited:
Reactions: deggers
Just flown 9 miles with 2 batteries, up to one and a half miles away using the roasts cable from the controllers USB port. Rock solid video through both flights, so that'll be my goto connection from here on. Thanks all for the recommendations.

Mike are you confirming that the side port is flakey even with another cable?

are you using android or apple device? So far I've only bought a short cable for the iPhone and use out of the USB port but tempted for the android because of the bigger screen .

Last edited:
Not sure about the side port yet, got to wait for a couple of weeks for delivery of that cable, so far I have used the short cable from USB port without a single glitch. Will post more once I receive and test the cable for the side port. I'm using iPhone 6s+ iOS 11

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

A lot of people have problems with that cable. I'm assuming it's not an issue with the port itself since the remote controller can still usually be charged with a micro USB cable.

A lot of people are selling this 3rd party cable. I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth a try if you want to use the side port.

View attachment 17243

This cable arrived today, gave it about 8 minutes in sport mode out to 4500 ft, general flight through the area where I experienced app disconnections before using the USB port underneath the controller and flight went great, only one flight with it so far, so can't conclusively state the oem cable is rubbish but it's starting to look that way. I'll give it a few more flights and come back with my results.
Safe & happy flying [emoji3]

Reactions: deggers

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustjan