DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unexplained gimbal lock

shb

Reactions
I was flying a out of signal range waypoint mission today, the drone came back with the gimbal/ camera pointing toward the drone. It had also stopped recording. Fly said gimbal overload and impact detected, check propellers. One propeller was damaged in two places, but it could still fly. But now the gimbal is locked and I can't fly. I emailed DJI support. Attached is a video of the last few seconds and some pictures.

20231024_104116.jpg20231024_104144.jpg20231024_104416.jpg20231024_104222.jpg

My best guess is a bird strike, as no apparent undetectable obstacles like wires in the video. Hopefully, you have DJI Care on it. If not, their repair costs are reasonable, and they'll send you a new one!

My best guess is a bird strike, as no apparent undetectable obstacles like wires in the video. Hopefully, you have DJI Care on it. If not, their repair costs are reasonable, and they'll send you a new one!
That's what I was thinking but I didn't see any birds either. Definitely hope I don't have to send this to DJI. That's a pain in the ***.

That's what I was thinking but I didn't see any birds either. Definitely hope I don't have to send this to DJI. That's a pain in the ***.
Birds often attack from above and behind, where you would never see them on camera. If the gimbal is truly locked up, I see no other choice than to send it in the DJI for evaluation and a repair estimate. Probably inexpensive, unless the camera is completely damaged, which seems unlikely without a fall. Might just be a relatively inexpensive gimbal replacement.

Reactions: Cafguy
Birds often attack from above and behind, where you would never see them on camera. If the gimbal is truly locked up, I see no other choice than to send it in the DJI for evaluation and a repair estimate. Probably inexpensive, unless the camera is completely damaged, which seems unlikely without a fall. Might just be a relatively inexpensive gimbal replacement.
I think what happens, to protect against gimbal or camera damage, is DJI automatically turns the gimbal around and locks it there upon any impact. That's what happened when I hit a guy wire in Thailand. So I think there must be a way, with DJI assistant or something, to automatically unlock it. They still haven't emailed me back at all, which is strange, because usally they automatically send a email back right away. I will email them again. My internet seems flaky today.

Because we are talking gimble here I would send it to DJI. That repair can be very tricky and making a mistake during the repair will double your cost Because the gimble does not look very damaged as GadgetGuy said I would send it in. It will save you money.

Because we are talking gimble here I would send it to DJI. That repair can be very tricky and making a mistake during the repair will double your cost Because the gimble does not look very damaged as GadgetGuy said I would send it in. It will save you money.
But there's nothing wrong with it. Just something hit a prop and it continued to fly fine.

Given the damage to that propeller, I'd suspect a collision with something more solid, like a power line.

The drone might fly with the damaged prop, but it wouldn't be wise.

Or with the guy lines from the tower he passes on the left
Upon closer inspection, there are wires below and on the towers, but none that appear to be in the flight path at the current altitude. However, it's the ones you can't see that get you!

I think what happens, to protect against gimbal or camera damage, is DJI automatically turns the gimbal around and locks it there upon any impact. That's what happened when I hit a guy wire in Thailand. So I think there must be a way, with DJI assistant or something, to automatically unlock it. They still haven't emailed me back at all, which is strange, because usally they automatically send a email back right away. I will email them again. My internet seems flaky today.
If that is the case, maybe only DJI can unlock it, to prevent further damage. Let us know what they say, when they reply. Odds are they will tell you to send it in for evaluation because merely unlocking it, even if possible, could cause further gimbal damage, much like removing an an impaled object from a patient!

can you use Python? If so calibrate with Python using PYserial and dji tools. - if not send it in and let them do it. You will save money.

Ironically, I flew the exact same mission they day before, with no problems, but I forgot to start video recording, so I had to fly it again. Still haven't heard back from DJI except the automated emails. I'll have to look for the thin wires.

Ironically, I flew the exact same mission they day before, with no problems, but I forgot to start video recording, so I had to fly it again. Still haven't heard back from DJI except the automated emails. I'll have to look for the thin wires.
If you can travel to the location where the recording stopped, you'll likely find thin wires somewhere nearby at the elevation the drone was flying. Waypoints are not accurate enough to avoid them every time the mission is flown, if they are present and very close-by. Alternatively, could have been a birdstrike, or even another drone!

If you can travel to the location where the recording stopped, you'll likely find thin wires somewhere nearby at the elevation the drone was flying. Waypoints are not accurate enough to avoid them every time the mission is flown, if they are present and very close-by. Alternatively, could have been a birdstrike, or even another drone!
I zoomed in the 4k video 162% and did not see any wires.

I zoomed in the 4k video 162% and did not see any wires.
You won't find them on the video, but you may see them if you go in person to the location, just as you would if you were trying to recover the crashed drone, had it not managed to fly back on its own, if any wires were the cause of the damage. Are you unable to get there?

You won't find them on the video, but you may see them if you go in person to the location, just as you would if you were trying to recover the crashed drone, had it not managed to fly back on its own, if any wires were the cause of the damage. Are you unable to get there?
I could probably go there but not planning on it right now. DJI wants me to send it in but I really don't want to. Seems like there must me a easy way to get the gimbal back to normal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas