DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlocking the No Fly zone in the GO4

ToddCarey

FAA Part 107 Certified
Premium Pilot
Reactions
OK, I had to me a frustrating experience this afternoon. I am FAA 107, and was going to do some overhead views of a building we are going to be working on which happens to be next to a local small airport. When I say close, I mean a road separates the airport from the property and runway. My mission was to go up (maybe 50 feet up) and take some photo's with my M2P. I contacted the Airport CT and they knew where I was to take the views (it was only on the property we are working with) and did not have a problem. My issue is the GO4 (and I do appreciate the notifications, but it became frustrating) indicated I was in a No Fly zone, but offered an exception to the limitation with a Yes or No option that I had the proper verification. It would not accept my Yes and would not move forward to allow the startup of the M2P. What did I do wrong?

Most likely you did nothing wrong, the only thing I can think of is the DJI sees it this way if they are the one who writes the code for the Go 4 app. What if you were allowed to take off at the building's property and you go up 45 feet to video and take pictures and for some stupid reason you lose connection and the drone flies away into a on coming plane or a plane taking off. It's possible right. There can be a misfunction. Just saying....

Are you in an authorization zone (blue) or restricted zone (red)? Have a look here as well: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

For authorization zones (blue), you need to provide a credit card as verification. For the latter, you will need a custom unlock.
That's all true if it was that easy. When I was flying the Mavic Pro 1 I entered the NFZ about a mile from airport. When I went to take off it gave me a message to enter my CC # or tele # I entered my tele# on file it would not take so I could not fly. I gave them my CC# and it was accepted. I flew. Now I have the MAVIC 2 ZOOM and I went back to that same place and I got the same message and it would not recognize the CC# or tele# so I could not fly at all. I updated my CC and tele # with djiflysafe and it still won't let me fly. Does not reconize either. I went elsewhere to fly.

Thanks for the assistance. I would assume where I was trying to launch was in a red zone. It was at a small regional airport (no commercial traffic, only private), but the clients property is literally within several hundred yards of the main runway, midway down the runway. The control tower did not have a problem with my use of the drone at the very low altitude, but the controller would not allow t he launch. I do not criticize DJI for programming in the safety features, and I certainly understand that flyaways are possible. I had already planned in my mind of the bird started to not obey my commands, I would immediately do a shut down. Granted, if something had not allowed my commands to work, that may not work also. My next step would have been an immediate call to the control tower.

I plan on applying for a custom unlock to see if that would work. If not, I will go back to the old method of a long extension ladder.

Get the Autel Evo, you can resume videoing . But please be responsible....

OK, I had to me a frustrating experience this afternoon. I am FAA 107, and was going to do some overhead views of a building we are going to be working on which happens to be next to a local small airport. When I say close, I mean a road separates the airport from the property and runway. My mission was to go up (maybe 50 feet up) and take some photo's with my M2P. I contacted the Airport CT and they knew where I was to take the views (it was only on the property we are working with) and did not have a problem. My issue is the GO4 (and I do appreciate the notifications, but it became frustrating) indicated I was in a No Fly zone, but offered an exception to the limitation with a Yes or No option that I had the proper verification. It would not accept my Yes and would not move forward to allow the startup of the M2P. What did I do wrong?
I have had this issue when trying to unlock on my ipad.I have started to unlock on my macbook before I go out to fly and this works.Not sure if it's the same issue as yours but sounds similar.I sometimes get a message like you and cancel(or no)is an option and I choose that.

Hello
I hope it is ok to ask here and not to open another similar theme.
As I see, for unlocking blue zone I would need internet connection at the location.
I was wondering if I can unlock zone with my smartphone, but then fly with tablet ?
Not sure if zone iz unlocked in DJI GO 4 app or in drone itself ?

Hello
I hope it is ok to ask here and not to open another similar theme.
As I see, for unlocking blue zone I would need internet connection at the location.
I was wondering if I can unlock zone with my smartphone, but then fly with tablet ?
Not sure if zone iz unlocked in DJI GO 4 app or in drone itself ?
You can't unlock the DJI zone with a phone.Try it to be sure but it tells me you need a computer and I have used the Ipad in the field with a phone hotspot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu