DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unresponsive Mavic 3 upon entering controlled area

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I was flying near an authorization so (that I have authorization for) when I got a notice I was entering said zone and I should immediately return. Problem is after getting that notice the drone was essentially locked up. It could not return along the path I had come on at all. It would not move. I lowered my altitude and got it to move along a bit, somewhat along the border of the zone but it would not return to me. Return to Home did not work. I thought I would lose the drone back in the swampy area but was finally able to get it back to a road and land a short drive from where I was. I have encountered that warning before in that same area so I knew to be careful. I was absolutely NOT within the zone, merely close to it. Previously I was able to turn tail and come back "out" but this time that was a no go. Any thoughts on why this might happen?

Welcome to my world as it happens all the time. The only solution I know for that is to use a non DJI drone or a hack, which I'm sure you do not want to do.

Cheers!

I have run into this before but every previous time I was able to simply turn around and "leave" but this time it was as if my M3 was locked up and getting it to move anywhere was very difficult. The fact that it wasn't even within the area circled by the DJI Geo app was also odd. Oh well...just have to be even more careful than I realized and not get anywhere close to such areas.

Reactions: db4476
Oh well...just have to be even more careful than I realized and not get anywhere close to such areas.
I can only guess from what I have read from other members who have had similar situations. What you really need is to have your telemetry read…

But I will ask, did you let your drone get a good satellite before taking off? Some folk who were anxious to fly take off before the drone had established a home point. I use Galaxy tables (an A8 and a S2) and I turn the volume up on the tablet's speakers so I hear the "Home Point Established" message.

Then again, you might have had spotty satellite reception up there (trees, valleys, mountains, etc…) and your drone was having problems establishing its bearings and once it crossed the Geo-Fence, it got a better lock and that cause the "Ah gee Mom, can't I stay and play some more…" and would not return.

One member who was flying off some islands off the Scottish coast got caught on the wrong side of a Geo-Fence, over the sea and could only fly back and forth over the water until his battery died. When his telemetry was broken down and analyzed, it was discovered that he did not have enough satellites to establish a location and flew beyond the Geo-Fence and once inside, the drone received enough satellites to find itself and I guess that the way the software is written and the interfaces with the firmware, it could not cross the Geo-fence even to get out…

I've never flown around a Geo-Fence, but I played with the Max-distance and Max-altitude setting on the Fly App and it's interesting how my Mini 2 responded. It was almost like it hit an invisible wall, the drone flew around and around the "invisible wall" when it reached the max distance and when it hit the max altitude, it would not climb any higher. It was like flying inside an invisible tin can or cylinder…

But I guess you can count yourself luck that you were able to recover you baby…

PS: this makes my 800th Posting…

For me, once bitten, twice shy would apply and I'd stay well clear of the area! I did have to seek permission via the App to fly near to Exeter airport the other week. I had to give my mobile number, was sent an authorisation code which I entered into the App and I could then fly.

what kind of authorization zone was
There was an overlapping Authorization and Altitude zone but I never entered either. I have been able to get the file uploaded to AirData with some effort. I see options to download a KML, GPX, CSV or Original. Which would the experts here recommend?

Reactions: LoudThunder
This sounds like something that DJI seriously needs to look into, They Can't give you a warning message and then not give you anytime at all to respond to such message!! I understand the significance of the message and that the zones are there for a reason, but never the less, sometimes fighter pilots go into zones they are not supposed to be in and they are, most of the time, given a warning and a chance to leave the area. If this is the case then DJI needs to set another perimeter outside the zone giving pilots a buffer zone to stop what they are doing and turn around.

This sounds like something that DJI seriously needs to look into, They Can't give you a warning message and then not give you anytime at all to respond to such message!! I understand the significance of the message and that the zones are there for a reason, but never the less, sometimes fighter pilots go into zones they are not supposed to be in and they are, most of the time, given a warning and a chance to leave the area. If this is the case then DJI needs to set another perimeter outside the zone giving pilots a buffer zone to stop what they are doing and turn around.
Agreed. DJI Geo zones is one very hot mess. They don't match the FAA zones so what's the point when that is the case? They let you fly above 400feet which is good so you can follow the contour of a hillside but then they stop you at 1650ish feet for no particular reason that I can fathom. When you have mountains around you and want to explore up a hillside it is really quite frustrating. The entire "fly into a zone and get immobilized" is some very bad programming. I can understand preventing you from flying into a controlled area (if it is faa controlled...) but locking your drone??

I have on several occasions had to unlock my drone on the spot thru a phone number to fly withing 3 miles of Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah. I'm restricted to 200' but other than that, I haven't had an issue.
Not sure if this is GEO ZONE or not, though. But I did have to get clearance first.

And, honestly, I think I could have flown higher than the 200' but I didn't try, of course. Maybe it would have restricted me but I just thought I was on the Honor Policy. lol

3 miles of Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah. I'm restricted to 200'
A quick class on Airspace….

Arrow "A" points to a Dashed Blue "upside down flat tire" shape, that is Class D Airspace surrounding Hunter Army Airfield and it is Controlled Airspace from surface to 2500' MSL (Mean Seal Level). Since Hunter is on 41' above sea level, it's all about the same… To fly in this area you are required to get FAA authorization either through LAANC or the FAADroneZone. I use the drone zone as I ask for permission for a whole year. And then, whenever you what to fly there, you are required to call ATC and ask if's it's OK…

Arrow "B" points to a Magenta series of rings and the overlap of hunter is the Controlled Airspace of Savannah International and that is all Class C Airspace and it also requires permission (Air Traffic Control = ATC…)

Arrow "C" is the Fuzzy Magenta and it's Class G Airspace (uncontrolled and a free for all) up to 699' and then it's controlled Class E Airspace over 700' and up…

And to make this all the more exciting, as you get closer to the airports the max altitude drops (as you say 200'…) and as you get closer, it really just a "Drone Taxi Zone" at zero max altitude…

I did not dig up the DJI Fly Safe maps with the Geo Zones, that's on you…

Just know, you need ATC permission to fly in most of these areas… I live within the Class D airspace of Langley AFB and I've had visitors when I have forgotten to call or just did not bother… Since I am an old retired Air Force Chief Master Sergeant (E-9) and I know most of the folks, they usually just chuck it up to a "senior Chief moment…" (as in senile…)..

map.png

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jigjjihhwohekjgh2857