DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unsuitable landing area?

GCurrency$

Reactions
Hello All, I recently got a Mavic 3 Just thought Id share this story.
I have only flown it twice due to cold weather.
So its been sitting in its box most of the time So Having flown twice and seen how stable it was I decided to launch it.... inside in my living room... The first launch was very good and stable really noticed the extremely powerful propellers in doors. Landing was great as well 2nd launch and landing Same thing but the 3rd time when I hit the land button I got a message saying "unsuitable landing area" and the landing was aborted I tried landing again and again with the same issue at least 2 dozen times. I tried
Placing things underneath like bright blanket but the wind was too strong (my floors are a dark brown hardwood) the drone started to drift towards the wall I would steer it a way and it became more unstable it was in Cine mode. It drifted to a wall and clipped it. To make matters worse the remote was not connecting to my phone I have an Android so I decided to grab it from underneath to power off manually from the battery this did not work the short press and long press does not work when the drone is " in flight " apparently and I'm guessing the bottom sensors took my hand as and obstacle because the propellers rpm increased dramatically so much so it was very difficult to hold on to it. I thought about taking it outside and letting it go but I didnt want it to crash into somebody Or someones house I could not pop the battery out either propellers are too close to the side buttons. After what seemed like forever I turned the rc off and the drone started to steer with so much force to RTH then finally it shut off. I definitely will not be launching indoors again.
Any Ideas of why I got the unsuitable landing are message? Any way to over ride ?
Any way to get better Rc connection with Samsung running android for Dji Fly?

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

I decided to grab it from underneath to power off manually from the battery this did not work
What you needed to do was to place your hand to avoid blocking the downward facing sensors at the rear and hold the left stick down for 3 seconds.
the propellers rpm increased dramatically so much so it was very difficult to hold on to it.
The drone was trying to avoid the "obstacle" and nothing would stop that while it sees an obstacle.
I thought about taking it outside and letting it go but I didnt want it to crash into somebody
It would have fought vigorously to hold position.
I turned the rc off and the drone started to steer with so much force to RTH then finally it shut off.
Fighting against a drone that wants to be somewhere else is asking for trouble.
I definitely will not be launching indoors again.
Indoors in not a suitable place to be flying without quite a bit of experience.
Any Ideas of why I got the unsuitable landing are message?
Something about the way DJI have programmed the sensors to detect suitable/unsuitable surfaces.
It's hard to tell exactly what.

What you needed to do was to place your hand to avoid blocking the downward facing sensors at the rear and hold the left stick down for 3 seconds.

The drone was trying to avoid the "obstacle" and nothing would stop that while it sees an obstacle.

It would have fought vigorously to hold position.

Fighting against a drone that wants to be somewhere else is asking for trouble.

Indoors in not a suitable place to be flying without quite a bit of experience.

Something about the way DJI have programmed the sensors to detect suitable/unsuitable surfaces.
It's hard to tell exactly what.
Funnily thats how I learnt to fly with my Mavic Mini SE I got a set of blade protectors and off I went. Learnt all the basics before I went outside!

Reactions: GCurrency$
A Mavic 3 is a very large drone for indoor flight!

I agree with everything @Meta4 wrote, and:

Drifting indoors is common. Your M3 may not have been seeing enough signal for GPS stabilization, and shiny hardwood floors, perhaps with repetitive patterns, likely defeated the backup downward visual positioning system. Maybe the same problem with the blanket.

As you experienced, a large drone generates a lot of breeze. When that breeze reflects back on the drone it can move it around if GPS or Vision Stabilization isn’t working.

Automatic landing depends on these systems! You might well have been able to land by holding the left stick back.
I think you should count yourself lucky that the drone didn’t damage anything or anybody! Those are powerful motors and sharp blades.
Funnily thats how I learnt to fly with my Mavic Mini SE I got a set of blade protectors and off I went. Learnt all the basics before I went outside!
A Mini SE is not a Mavic 3, both in terms of the breeze it generates and the potential for damage or injury. It’s great that it worked for you indoors, I’ve had good experiences flying a Mini 2 indoors. Just slightly more drifty than outside.

Any Ideas of why I got the unsuitable landing are message? Any way to over ride ?
As Meta4 said, you override it simply by holding down the left stick. Sometimes it's as simple as a shiny or featureless area.

Any way to get better Rc connection with Samsung running android for Dji Fly?
Not sure what you mean by "connection" - I've been flying DJI drones for years and have never used anything other than Samsung phones. I've never experienced a controller connection problem to the phone. Not once over thousands of flights. Are you referring to the physical cable connection to the charging port of your phone? If you dont have trouble charging by cable to that port, theres no reason the controller cable should have an issue. Make sure you are routing the cable so there is no tension on it, or anything that would prevent the short cable from firmly plugging into the port.

A Mini SE is not a Mavic 3, both in terms of the breeze it generates and the potential for damage or injury.
Indeed. I unintentionally launched an Evo 2 Pro indoors (the launch/land button is furthest left, right about where the controller Power Button is on DJI controllers.)

To my horror it lifted off to a height of 1.5 meters, creating all the prop wash you might expect from a 2.58 pound drone with a 7100 mAh battery -that weighs a pound itself. Before I could land it, it drifted a bit and took a chunk out of a doorframe that you might expect a heavy duty hammer 🔨 to accomplish. Pretty sure nothing on earth would have convinced me to grab and try to wrestle that thing. 🙄

You might find that an emergency method of shutting the drone down is to grab it and tilt it until the props are rotating in a vertical plane.

Just for the record, I regularly fly a Mavic 2 Pro and/or Zoom indoors as well as the Mini 1 & 2 and with one or the other, or perhaps, both types I have noticed that the slow speed flight mode is the flight mode most susceptible to drift. This was a distinct change in that as soon as the slow speed mode was selected the drone started to drift and as soon as an alternative flight mode was selected the drifting stopped.
Indoors I would normally use P/N or sports mode i.e. the two faster flight modes, you just have to give gentle and slight stick movements.
Obstacle avoidance MUST be switched off with the M2P/Z.
With both types the room MUST be well lit and from above seems best.
The M2P/Z is slightly heavier than the Mavic 3.

Im getting an error message indicating rc not connected to mobile device and I lose video connection and the ability to use the Fly app.
Either you have a bad cable or you don't have it pushed in far enough. Check the socket for lint. Clean it with a toothpick.

Reactions: Meta4
Hello All, I recently got a Mavic 3 Just thought Id share this story.
In case you want to hand-catch rather then going through this annoying protected landing procedure:
My best experience like the Mavic 2 with downward sensors being shut off:
Switch to sports mode which will de-activate collision sensors, have the drone facing you while grabbing it from underneath.
This downward looking sensor in the front seems to not care.

Last edited:
In case you want to hand-catch rather then going through this annoying protected landing procedure:
My best experience like the Mavic 2 with downward sensors being shut off:
Switch to sports mode which will de-activate collision sensors, have the drone facing you while grabbing it from underneath.
This downward looking sensor in the front seems to not care.
The downwards vision sensors on Mavic 3 CAN NOT be deactivated or switched off. Even when hand catching in S mode ( inherently dangerous and stupid if you ask me) in which all other vision sensors are switched off by default, the downward looking sensors will sense your hand and the drone will ascend a bit before descending into your palm. AFAIK this part of landing action can not be changed.

Last edited:
I read this all the time and it amazes me. Do NOT switch to Sports mode, do NOT aim it at your face. All it takes us a little slip and you get stitches for your trouble. Go into the Safety tab and turn OA to OFF! Point the drone away from you and land it on your palm.

Reactions: Filmarik
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas