DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unwanted Adventure!

Chaosrider

Reactions
I went to fly from the front flight deck today, because the sun was too bright on the back deck. I wanted to do some flying with the 4K resolution and 2X zoom (all I can get at 4K). Since it was a test, I wanted to do something docile, and settled on some tree climbing.

The tree is about 120 feet away, just off the road at the end of my driveway. I moved the drone so that I was approaching from the side, so that I could get a better sense for the distance from the tree. When it comes to the camera view, even at 1X, "Objects in Camera are Farther Than They Appear", to paraphrase the rear view mirror notice.

I was getting some really good footage, but the wind started to kick up, and I decided to call it a day.

Too late!

A strong wind gust caught the drone, and blew it into the top of the tree, about 80-90 feet up! I watched the flashing strobe in surreal horror, as it tumbled slowly down and down the tree...and then stopped. It had lodged on a branch just above the base of the tree, not more than 12 ft off the ground, strobe still flashing.

I went through the inventory of options that I had, and none of them were any good. So I thought, what do you when you have a cat up a tree?

You call the fire department! I did, and while they were seriously amused, they said they didn't rescue drones. While I was talking to the woman at the non-emergency dispatch, I figured I'd call some tree services.

One was there, but they weren't really interested. Another, I left a message. A third one was seriously amused, but all their people are out in the field. The woman in the office, said she would check with her folks to see what they could do. That's currently my best hope.

It's possible that the only damage is some busted props. The camera is still transmitting, but it won't move.

I've got the video on the phone, but I'm reluctant to mess with it right now, since I don't want to miss a return rescue call, and I only have the one phone. I hope I can get it down before the frost comes back tonight, but ironically given the recent comments here, I'll probably end up using one of my DJI Care re-fresh slots on this one.

(sigh)

If the video on the phone is any good, I'll upload it, and provide the link.

TCS

Reactions: Prop Wash
I went to fly from the front flight deck today, because the sun was too bright on the back deck. I wanted to do some flying with the 4K resolution and 2X zoom (all I can get at 4K). Since it was a test, I wanted to do something docile, and settled on some tree climbing.

The tree is about 120 feet away, just off the road at the end of my driveway. I moved the drone so that I was approaching from the side, so that I could get a better sense for the distance from the tree. When it comes to the camera view, even at 1X, "Objects in Camera are Farther Than They Appear", to paraphrase the rear view mirror notice.

I was getting some really good footage, but the wind started to kick up, and I decided to call it a day.

Too late!

A strong wind gust caught the drone, and blew it into the top of the tree, about 80-90 feet up! I watched the flashing strobe in surreal horror, as it tumbled slowly down and down the tree...and then stopped. It had lodged on a branch just above the base of the tree, not more than 12 ft off the ground, strobe still flashing.

I went through the inventory of options that I had, and none of them were any good. So I thought, what do you when you have a cat up a tree?

You call the fire department! I did, and while they were seriously amused, they said they didn't rescue drones. While I was talking to the woman at the non-emergency dispatch, I figured I'd call some tree services.

One was there, but they weren't really interested. Another, I left a message. A third one was seriously amused, but all their people are out in the field. The woman in the office, said she would check with her folks to see what they could do. That's currently my best hope.

It's possible that the only damage is some busted props. The camera is still transmitting, but it won't move.

I've got the video on the phone, but I'm reluctant to mess with it right now, since I don't want to miss a return rescue call, and I only have the one phone. I hope I can get it down before the frost comes back tonight, but ironically given the recent comments here, I'll probably end up using one of my DJI Care re-fresh slots on this one.

(sigh)

TCS
If it's only 12 feet up, why not just knock it down with something? You did say you were probably going to use a Care Refresh slot so further damage will have no impact.

"Objects in Camera are Farther Than They Appear", to paraphrase the rear view mirror notice.

Objects actually appear closer in the convex mirrors, hopefully your drone is ok, and not too banged up.
The firies will be laughing about this for a long time, might become station legend, "One call out this guy with his drone stuck up a tree . . . !"
(Maybe you should have said you think the drone landed on your cat ! :D)

Ya gotta a grandson who lives nearby or a neighbor boy you could bribe who happens to like to climb trees?
A long stick or PVC pipe where you could maybe shake the branch it's on?

Bamboo is a good option, too. Odds are, there's a grove of it somewhere nearby. And almost everyone who has bamboo is delighted to have someone come cut or dig some up.

Reactions: NG Wildman
I used an aluminum extended widow washing pole I bought at HD. It extended way beyond 12 feet. Inexpensive in light of the cost of the drone.

Reactions: PaulNH and NAVMAV
If it's only 12 feet up, why not just knock it down with something? You did say you were probably going to use a Care Refresh slot so further damage will have no impact.
Well, I'm a short fat old guy, and standing in loose, uneven soil waving a 12' poll over my head is not on my playlist!

I'll use the Care Refresh if I need to, but I may not need to. The fall from the top of the tree to it's current resting place was almost creepy slow. The camera was still transmitting when it came to rest. It may just need new props.

But after the overnight deep freeze, I'll probably need the Care Refresh anyway. The tree service guy should be here in a couple of hours, and then I'll have a better assessment...after it thaws out...

Thx,

TCS

Objects actually appear closer in the convex mirrors, hopefully your drone is ok, and not too banged up.
The firies will be laughing about this for a long time, might become station legend, "One call out this guy with his drone stuck up a tree . . . !"
(Maybe you should have said you think the drone landed on your cat ! :D)
I was careful to phrase my inquiry so that they wouldn't think I was making any demands on their time.

If I get known as the "Drone up a Tree Guy"...I can live with that!

:)

TCS

Ya gotta a grandson who lives nearby or a neighbor boy you could bribe who happens to like to climb trees?
A long stick or PVC pipe where you could maybe shake the branch it's on?
No kids that I know of. This is pretty solidly an "Old Fart" zone.

TCS

• Haha
Reactions: Prop Wash
Bamboo is a good option, too. Odds are, there's a grove of it somewhere nearby. And almost everyone who has bamboo is delighted to have someone come cut or dig some up.
No bamboo here. Pine forest with aspens down near the creek.

TCS

I used an aluminum extended widow washing pole I bought at HD. It extended way beyond 12 feet. Inexpensive in light of the cost of the drone.
Could probably attach a basket to it too to catch the drone in.

Too late!

(sigh)

TCS
On reflection while re-reading this, I think my assessment that my Mini-2 got blown into the tree is in error. I've never had a Mini-2 get blown around in the wind before.

I just now realized, it's more likely that the wind gust waved a branch, which then hit my Mini-2. The branches were waving around pretty good.

I'd appreciate other suggestions. I posted the 720p version of the crash yesterday.

Thx,

TCS

Hopefully frost won't hurt it. If more wind comes, it may blow out. A long poled tree pruner would work too.

If all else fails - REFRESH!

Reactions: hiflyer201
Hopefully frost won't hurt it. If more wind comes, it may blow out. A long poled tree pruner would work too.

If all else fails - REFRESH!
Drone recovered by tree guy, ZERO damage, not even a dinged prop.

I don't know how that's possible, but I've already had it back in the air!

TCS

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga