DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uploading videos to instagram - bad quality

sendas

Reactions
Hello!

I've been uploading my videos to instagram, but the quality after posting them is very very bad !

I've been using an iPad Pro and I upload them directly from instagram (the videos are in 4K, 2K or 1080p)

Here is an example: Instagram post by Pedro Sendas Pereira • May 8, 2017 at 8:43pm UTC

These were made with iMovie:

Instagram post by Pedro Sendas Pereira • May 11, 2017 at 11:35am UTC

Instagram post by Pedro Sendas Pereira • May 11, 2017 at 11:29am UTC

The quality is so bad !! :(

What I'm doing wrong ??

Thank you ..

When watching it from a phone in the standard IG postage stamp size it does look as good as other stuff.

Instagram will compress the file and lowers the quality as soon as you upload it. There is ways you can get a little better quality by changing some settings, but that's beyond my realm of knowledge. I have been told Instagram accounts like GoPro don't have the same limits as regular users which is why some video quality you see looks better. What I did was create a YouTube channel which I have linked in my Instagram video. Once I have completed a video I post a short clip to Instagram and tell users to visit YouTube for the full video. Also # the life out of your post as a good click bait. [emoji95]

Indeed this one has bad resizing artifacts. Don't feed the IG app the source footage then, it doesn't seem to resize nicely.
You should edit your video with the optimal size and encoding settings for IG to ise with minimal processing.

High profile accounts all use high end video production techinques to post stuff that looks as good as it can, they don't just dump a raw clip in the app.

Indeed this one has bad resizing artifacts. Don't feed the IG app the source footage then, it doesn't seem to resize nicely.
You should edit your video with the optimal size and encoding settings for IG to ise with minimal processing.

How do I do that on iOS ? [emoji849]

You don't. You transfer your videos to a computer, you open your favorite video editor and create a sequence at the right size, edit your video, export in the right format, transfer back to your phone, then upload.

Just to check, you did use the original files from the card, not the video cache, right?

You don't. You transfer your videos to a computer, you open your favorite video editor and create a sequence at the right size, edit your video, export in the right format, transfer back to your phone, then upload.

There must be an app for that no ? [emoji51] what is the right format ?

I no longer have an Instagram account but I was dealing with that in the past.
Instagram's max res was 612x612 and it'll take a few hours to show the high quality version. Meanwhile you'll see only the low res version of your video.

I found this:
Hope it helps.

Reactions: sendas
Hello!

I've been uploading my videos to instagram, but the quality after posting them is very very bad !

I've been using an iPad Pro and I upload them directly from instagram (the videos are in 4K, 2K or 1080p)

Here is an example: Instagram post by Pedro Sendas Pereira • May 8, 2017 at 8:43pm UTC

These were made with iMovie:

Instagram post by Pedro Sendas Pereira • May 11, 2017 at 11:35am UTC

Instagram post by Pedro Sendas Pereira • May 11, 2017 at 11:29am UTC

The quality is so bad !! :(

What I'm doing wrong ??

Thank you ..

Hi @sendas
Try 'Sync for DJI' app. This app allows you download videos and images in original size instantly from connected drone or Osmo. I use it with my Spark and iPhone.

I no longer have an Instagram account but I was dealing with that in the past.
Instagram's max res was 612x612 and it'll take a few hours to show the high quality version. Meanwhile you'll see only the low res version of your video.

I found this:
Hope it helps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga