DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

US 107 certificate - disadvantages?

semmelbroesel

Reactions
Hi.

I'm thinking of doing the work of getting a professional drone license, but I have two questions.

1. Are there any disadvantages to having a commercial license instead of a recreational one, e.g. in regards to where I can fly or how close to an airport I can fly?
2. Once I have a commercial license, can I still apply for LAANC authorization for a recreational flight, or do I have to always say I have a commercial license?

Thanks

1. Are there any disadvantages to having a commercial license instead of a recreational one, e.g. in regards to where I can fly or how close to an airport I can fly?

Actually, having a Remote Pilot Certificate allows you to fly at night in controlled airspace. You would simply apply and received a 107.29 waiver, and then attach that to any future 107.41 Wide Area Authorizations. So with the 107, you can have more airspace open.
2. Once I have a commercial license, can I still apply for LAANC authorization for a recreational flight, or do I have to always say I have a commercial license?

Even with a 107 you can still fly recreationally. However, as mentioned above, you have more leeway with a 107.

As noted, on a flight by flight basis, you can fly whichever one your flight is for. I don't think there is an issue or disadvantage. The only minor thing, is if you will be flying both, you'll need to register and label each drone with it's own registration number instead of a single number for all drones that a recreational pilot will use.

Knowing the regulations was an upside for me.
Not being able to claim ignorance would I guess be the downside.
I just re-validated mine but I doubt if I will ever actually use it.

Is it true that you have to pay the $160 test fee every two years after you receive the initial certificate to remain current?

Is it true that you have to pay the $160 test fee every two years after you receive the initial certificate to remain current?

That is correct (As of right now). It's a small price to pay to make $$ though. That's roughly $0.22 a day to have the priv of making $$ with the aircraft.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
Thanks for all the replies - sounds like I'll go commercial eventually :)

Can you clarify the one part where I'd need different registration numbers on my drone?

I only have one drone and don't intend to buy another, so would I have to put two registration numbers on there (recreational and commercial)?

On that note, how do you guys attach your FAA IDs on your drone? :)

I don't have a lot of space on that drone with all the sensors... So far, I took a white sticker, cut it small, and carefully wrote the number on there (which in my handwriting is a bad idea)...

Thanks for all the replies - sounds like I'll go commercial eventually :)

Can you clarify the one part where I'd need different registration numbers on my drone?

I only have one drone and don't intend to buy another, so would I have to put two registration numbers on there (recreational and commercial)?

On that note, how do you guys attach your FAA IDs on your drone? :)

I don't have a lot of space on that drone with all the sensors... So far, I took a white sticker, cut it small, and carefully wrote the number on there (which in my handwriting is a bad idea)...

For recreational, you can register yourself and use the same number on all your drones. For Part 107, you must register (And pay the $5 fee) for each drone and they all get their own numbers. Since you only have 1, it doesn't matter too much. Although, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you will need to go back and register the one you have for part 107 and pay the fee again.

I use a label maker to attach my number. Small sticker, with weatherproof, legible, writing. You can usually find a decent one for under $20, because like printers, they sell the machines cheap making money on the cartridges. I find lots of use for it, so it was an investment worth making for me. If you are only using once for the drone, you may want to pay someone to make you stickers, plenty of places that do it cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot

At the moment that is roughly true (although some test sites only charge $100), but the FAA is working on a new rule that would allow you to "renew" your 107 privileges by just taking a free online course every 2 years instead of paying for and taking an in-person exam. No estimate for when this new rule will finally be approved though.

In deed there is a tremendous liability associated with having a Part 107 certification. By doing so you limit your leeway in saying I thought it was ok, misinterpreted the regulation or made a stupid mistake as you were tested on your knowledge and have demonstrated competency. That certification and implied competency are associated with an individual and therefore you would be in legal theory bound to the requirements.

Someone with a Part 107 certification can fly for recreational purposes.

An applicable example is a licensed attorney is an "Officer of the Court". They are held to a higher standard than a private citizen in both their professional and personal conduct.

It would be hard to demonstrate that if something terrible happened that you were a recreational flyer. In a criminal prosecution it could plague any plea agreement or regulatory violation settlements as you knew or should have known. In the civil spectrum it is all over the place. Each States has individual statutes. But in no way is it advantageous to have proven you were educated, tested and certified. The reality is you are no longer a hapless hobbies who was befell by bad luck and inexperience but a professional that had the knowledge and went ahead and did it. In regards to civil liability your are screwed in almost every situation.

Recreational can fly at night. Always try to be on the side of license.
@Big Al 454 Need your commentary and advice. I've studied hard for the Part 107 and never did I read anywhere that pilots could fly recreationally at night without a Part 107 cert and a night waiver. I've been wanting to fly some "for fun" night missions and have not done so because of what I thought the rules stated. Can you please clarify?

@Big Al 454 Need your commentary and advice. I've studied hard for the Part 107 and never did I read anywhere that pilots could fly recreationally at night without a Part 107 cert and a night waiver. I've been wanting to fly some "for fun" night missions and have not done so because of what I thought the rules stated. Can you please clarify?
Unless mistaken, the recreational night flight is only within G Airspace. A,B, C, D, and E will require a 107 with Daylight waiver. 107.29.
Recreational fliers: Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations Item 6

Flights within Classed airspace require the LAANC approval. You will not receive LAANCE approval as a recreational flight for night time flights. G Airspace (recreational) is acceptable with the aid of lights.
As a part 107, illegal in any class without the approved COA.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Unless mistaken, the recreational night flight is only within G Airspace. A,B, C, D, and E will require a 107 with Daylight waiver. 107.29.
Recreational fliers: Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations Item 6

Flights within Classed airspace require the LAANC approval. You will not receive LAANCE approval as a recreational flight for night time flights. G Airspace (recreational) is acceptable with the aid of lights.
As a part 107, illegal in any class without the approved COA.
I hadn't realized that I could fly at night recreationally all this time! 5> miles outside of O'Hare is class G up to 1900 MSL. The night waiver thing has been drilled into my head so long that I hadn't realized the rules were different for recreational flights. Darn.

Hi.

I'm thinking of doing the work of getting a professional drone license, but I have two questions.

Thanks
There are definitely disadvantages to any license. Blacks Law Dictionary 7th edition puts it plainly. Any license permit etc. Is "permission only" to do what is otherwise illegal. This invades all the license we participate in. Bet you never thought of marriage of illegal? The wonderful world of law,and its many faces. If you get their license you opt into their legal fiction, unless you know a right vs a privilege. All my best.

Reactions: JohnLietzke

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom