DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

US Mavic 2 Pro registration question

Mike6158

Random Pixel Generator
Reactions
I have a Mavic Mini and a Mavic 2 Pro. The Pro has 0 flight hours one it (because I've been busy, tis the season and all that jazz). The little light bulb came on this morning... the M2P is well over the weight that requires it to be registered. The question for me is commercial or recreational. Is there a downside to registering commercial but flying recreational? As a new drone pilot I'm not likely to get (or look for) a paying gig. I don't even know if I would ever want to make my drones a job.

The Mavic Mini is light enough that it doesn't have to be registered, or does it?

Reactions: BigAl07
I have a Mavic Mini and a Mavic 2 Pro. The Pro has 0 flight hours one it (because I've been busy, tis the season and all that jazz). The little light bulb came on this morning... the M2P is well over the weight that requires it to be registered. The question for me is commercial or recreational. Is there a downside to registering commercial but flying recreational? As a new drone pilot I'm not likely to get (or look for) a paying gig. I don't even know if I would ever want to make my drones a job.

The Mavic Mini is light enough that it doesn't have to be registered, or does it?

Only downside to registering commercial is that each aircraft gets registered individually meaning $5 each every 3 years.

If you think you'll ever want to fly your mavic pro 2 "Commercially" then go ahead and register it that way now. No harm if you never do IMHO.

The Mavic Mini is only under 250gr if you don't add anything to it. Add prop guards, strobes etc and you're most likely OVER 250gr. I'd honestly go ahead and get my Hobby Registration # and put that on both aircraft so you're covered recreationally.

Also if you use the Mini in any commercial capacity it must be registered commercially regardless of it's weight.

My "concern" is that I might inadvertently make money off of a drone video. As of today, that is highly unlikely due to lack of skill, but the internet is a strange place. Things go viral for no apparent reason. $5 to register seems reasonable.

The Mavic Mini is only under 250gr if you don't add anything to it. Add prop guards, strobes etc and you're most likely OVER 250gr. I'd honestly go ahead and get my Hobby Registration # and put that on both aircraft so you're covered recreationally.

If I register them both commercial I can also get the hobby registration?

If I register them both commercial I can also get the hobby registration?
You register either recreational or Part 107, but not both. Each drone can have only one FAA registration number on it. If you register each one with its own Part 107 number then you are free to fly them under either set of rules. You must just decide before the flight, which rules you will be flying under and cannot change mid-flight.

You register either recreational or Part 107, but not both. Each drone can have only one FAA registration number on it. If you register each one with its own Part 107 number then you are free to fly them under either set of rules. You must just decide before the flight, which rules you will be flying under and cannot change mid-flight.

I'll go with Part 107. I have a remote pilot certificate. May as well go all in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa