DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

US Virgin Islands

Liked it. Hard to make a bad video there though.

Did you fly there? If so, how was your process going through customs, I am going there later this summer and I am worried about them taking it, thanks!

Well if you are flying from the us. Then there shouldn't be any customs should there? It's a US territory.

Going there tomorrow for a few weeks. I'll be flying my mavic.

1. Did you get any dirty looks while flying on the island
2. Any no drone zones to be aware of? I'll be on St. John and the BVI's
3.how did the mavic hold up in those trade winds?

Thanks for the video nice job.

I did fly there, yes. I was a little bit nervous about going through security on the flight there, and also through customs and security again on the way back. I had the Mavic with me in my "personal item" (not carry-on) the whole time. That's the great thing about the Mavic and how compact it folds down. I didn't remove the props or anything. I didn't have anyone say a single thing the whole trip. I don't know if my experience is typical, or if I was just lucky...but that's what happened.

I didn't get any dirty looks flying the Mavic, no...but that's mostly because I went out of my way to find secluded areas to fly it, away from people. You can have it up in the air so quickly that even if someone did happen by, it just looks like you're playing a video game or something while the Mavic is a couple hundred feet in the air, or where ever. As far as no drone zones...most of St. John comprises Virgin Islands National Park, so most of it will be prohibited. There are places that aren't part of the NP, however, and as far as I know you should be good flying there. I'm not sure what the rules on the BVI's would be. The three times I flew it the winds were relatively calm and were mostly a non-issue. I did almost crash it into the ocean one time as I was flying down close to it...maybe 3 or 4 feet above. The Mavic did something weird...the visual sensors got confused by the clear water, maybe? Anyway, after that I didn't dare get as close to the water.

Anyway, good luck to you! It was a fun and beautiful place to fly with the white sand and the water colors.

Reactions: Clare_G101
I did fly there, yes. I was a little bit nervous about going through security on the flight there, and also through customs and security again on the way back. I had the Mavic with me in my "personal item" (not carry-on) the whole time. That's the great thing about the Mavic and how compact it folds down. I didn't remove the props or anything. I didn't have anyone say a single thing the whole trip. I don't know if my experience is typical, or if I was just lucky...but that's what happened.

I didn't get any dirty looks flying the Mavic, no...but that's mostly because I went out of my way to find secluded areas to fly it, away from people. You can have it up in the air so quickly that even if someone did happen by, it just looks like you're playing a video game or something while the Mavic is a couple hundred feet in the air, or where ever. As far as no drone zones...most of St. John comprises Virgin Islands National Park, so most of it will be prohibited. There are places that aren't part of the NP, however, and as far as I know you should be good flying there. I'm not sure what the rules on the BVI's would be. The three times I flew it the winds were relatively calm and were mostly a non-issue. I did almost crash it into the ocean one time as I was flying down close to it...maybe 3 or 4 feet above. The Mavic did something weird...the visual sensors got confused by the clear water, maybe? Anyway, after that I didn't dare get as close to the water.

Anyway, good luck to you! It was a fun and beautiful place to fly with the white sand and the water colors.
How many batteries did you bring? I am worried about if I am bringing to many. I have 2 for my canon T6i, 2 for my little canon g7x mark 2, and I want to bring 3 for my mavic, do you think that is too many?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom