DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA

NinjaNut

Reactions
I wonder why there are no American consumer drone companies...to compete with all the Chinese drone companies....any thoughts or facts?

How about 3DR and GoPro? While American consume drone companies exist, it seems none of them have had much of an impact on DJI's market share.

Reactions: NinjaNut
I wasn’t aware of these, I guess because as you point out, not nearly as recognizable as DJI, Cheerson, and the many many other Chinese companies, due to market share, volume, tech, quality...? Just seems there would be and American or European drone maker wanting to compete. It’d be nice for price wars, fast shipping, and probably much better CS.

I wasn’t aware of these, I guess because as you point out, not nearly as recognizable as DJI, Cheerson, and the many many other Chinese companies, due to market share, volume, tech, quality...?
GoPro makes the Karma and 3DR makes the Solo. Never heard of those?

Last edited:
Autel makes a very nice UAS. Some people absolutely LOVE them.

Right now DJI has all the holes plugged. Their success has enabled them hire engineers and developers beyond the scope of other companies. Trust me, they have a new something up their sleeve as we speak just waiting for another company to come out with some new and exciting technology only to have DJI crush it by one upping them with their new and more superior technology. **** I wish those other companies would hurry up!!! Lol

Reactions: snipe and NinjaNut
Autel is also American. Bothell Washington I believe
If not mistaken Autel Robotics USA has a headquarters in Washington but the parent company is in china . The controller and batteries have china on them.
FWIW

Yep, Autel is a Chinese company as well. They seem to do their best to hide that on the U.S. website.

Reactions: dirkclod
If not mistaken Autel Robotics USA has a headquarters in Washington but the parent company is in china . The controller and batteries have china on them.
FWIW

Yeah? I don’t think so... I used to love just up the road from them. I’m sure they have Chinese manufacturing like everyone else. But it appeared to be a homegrown company.

No one would pick Washington to open a business. Well except Microsoft and Starbucks. But it only sucked after they got huge.

It just seems to me that SOME deep pocketed company here would want to give DJI a run for their money....like the car and motorcycle (well, Harley), do against the Japanese and Italians. Not a big enough market? IDK

Yeah? I don’t think so... I used to love just up the road from them. I’m sure they have Chinese manufacturing like everyone else. But it appeared to be a homegrown company.

No one would pick Washington to open a business. Well except Microsoft and Starbucks. But it only sucked after they got huge.
Well I really don't know 100% as I asked @LuvMyTJ as he has one
I don't . DJI has an Office in CA. but they are made in China .
Maybe when he see's this he might confirm what I just posted to you .

This article contains the following quote from Steve McIrvin (CEO of Autel Robotics until June 2017):

"What’s surprising to me is that DJI, Autel and Yuneec are all headquartered in China"

It just seems to me that SOME deep pocketed company here would want to give DJI a run for their money....like the car and motorcycle (well, Harley), do against the Japanese and Italians. Not a big enough market? IDK

Many have attempted this.. most have simply failed. GoPro found out that it's not easy to make a good drone. 3DR had Quinn, who used to work at DJI. They simply could not compete and dropped their consumer side and went commercial. There have been many other companies that could not compete either. DJI has 3000 engineers working on drone tech. They make a GREAT product, no question about that. It's not like anyone can simply throw together some parts and come up with a good drone product.

This article contains the following quote from Steve McIrvin (CEO of Autel Robotics until June 2017):

"What’s surprising to me is that DJI, Autel and Yuneec are all headquartered in China"

Great article...thanks msinger! Explains all my queries quite thoroughly. It’s an eye opener for sure....I had no idea of the complexities involved.

Yes it is true, I do own an Autel X-Star Premium. Autel Robotics USA, which is headquartered in Bothell, WA, is part of its parent company Autel Robotics China. Autel Robotics is a subsidiary of Autel Intelligent Technology company, a market leader in diagnostic tools. They are well-known for manufacturing top-notch diagnostic equipment. I also own & use an automobile diagnostic tool made by Autel. So yes, they are manufactured in China.

How about 3DR and GoPro? While American consume drone companies exist, it seems none of them have had much of an impact on DJI's market share.
3DR manufactured their drones in Tijuana, Mexico and does not produce consumer drones any longer. The Solo, their only relevant consumer drone, only lasted about a year & a half and they had several serious issues that were realized after release. There are still 'new old stock' units available but who wants a drone released in early 2015 with limited parts available?
As far as Gopro goes... I think most of us know what happened there too... another failure that didn't sell well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc