DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB Cable for Mavic Mini and Z Fold 5

colmshan1990

Reactions
So I bought a new phone (Samsung Z Fold 5) and while it's a great upgrade on my 6 year old Samsung Galaxy S8, it means I can no longer use the original micro USB to USBC cable that came with my Mavic Mini (it's too short to reach the USBC port on the phone when mounted to the controller).

I bought a 30cm cable from Amazon UK (I'm in Ireland, so US links aren't very useful to me) but as far as I can tell the phone and drone controller will not interact using this cable- the phone just charges the controller and I can't switch which device is in control. The phone and drone controller work when using the original cable, it's just too short to mount, so it's not an issue of no support at all, seems fully on the cable.

So what specs should I be looking for in a USB cable to allow me to control the drone?

So what specs should I be looking for in a USB cable to allow me to control the drone?
Almost any cord with the right end fittings will work ... unless you get a charging only cable.
Check the cable to see if it works between the phone and a computer.
If it doesn't go shopping again and look for a cable that mentions data as well as charging.

Reactions: MAVE (Little bird)
Almost any cord with the right end fittings will work ... unless you get a charging only cable.
Check the cable to see if it works between the phone and a computer.
If it doesn't go shopping again and look for a cable that mentions data as well as charging.
Just used the cable to connect the Mavic Mini to my Macbook and I could see the photos and videos saved on the microSD in the drone, so it seems to work fine.

I think it's an issue with the MicroUSB connector on the cable though, it's a slightly different shape (the 'normal' microUSB shape with the sloped corners on top that used to be on all chargers back before USBC) to the one on the original DJI cable, which has a rectangular shape.

Just used the cable to connect the Mavic Mini to my Macbook and I could see the photos and videos saved on the microSD in the drone, so it seems to work fine.

I think it's an issue with the MicroUSB connector on the cable though, it's a slightly different shape (the 'normal' microUSB shape with the sloped corners on top that used to be on all chargers back before USBC) to the one on the original DJI cable, which has a rectangular shape.
You need to have the correct connector.
A modern phone is going to have a USB-C connector - like your S8 did.

i-F5xTw8b.jpg

You need to have the correct connector.
A modern phone is going to have a USB-C connector - like your S8 did.

i-F5xTw8b.jpg
Yeah, it's a MicroUSB to USBC connector. I linked the one I bought above.

It fits the ports, the problem is it only charges the controller from the phone's battery instead of connecting. I'll have to get another one

Ordered a new cable which arrived today, this one with Mini 2 controller in the description.

Again no luck, charges the controller but no use for controlling the drone. Original cable works with the phone and controller, so it's not an issue with anything other than the cable.

Would a USBC extension work? And if so, are there any specs to look out for to make sure it works? Thinking of trying this next, but is there just a better cable to get for connecting the Mini 1 controller to a USBC tablet/phone? Ideally want something nice and short, 20cm-30cm seems the sweet spot

Ordered a new cable which arrived today, this one with Mini 2 controller in the description.

Again no luck, charges the controller but no use for controlling the drone. Original cable works with the phone and controller, so it's not an issue with anything other than the cable.

Would a USBC extension work? And if so, are there any specs to look out for to make sure it works? Thinking of trying this next, but is there just a better cable to get for connecting the Mini 1 controller to a USBC tablet/phone? Ideally want something nice and short, 20cm-30cm seems the sweet spot
This cable works awesome for my Dji Spark. Type C to Micro A MALE Cable.
About 6-7 inches long. Works great.
Made by CableCreation Comes in different links. (Amazon). Hope it's what your looking for. Works great for me.

Please let us know if it works for you.
Fly safe.20230822_000623.jpg

Thanks.

I wasn't able to track that exact cable down myself. But I'm happy to say I finally got one that works. Leaving the link here in case anybody winds up with the same problem and finds this page while searching:

Still not sure what makes this cable different to the other two I bought though, the connector looks identical

Reactions: MAVE (Little bird)
Thanks.

I wasn't able to track that exact cable down myself. But I'm happy to say I finally got one that works. Leaving the link here in case anybody winds up with the same problem and finds this page while searching:

Still not sure what makes this cable different to the other two I bought though, the connector looks identical
Awesome, glad to see you found a cable that works. Happy flying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13