DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a Dell 2in1 (7320) USB-C charger to charge DJI products

jbedford

Reactions
Last night I purchased my first DJI product, a Mini 3 Pro with Fly More Plus combo.

The first thing I did last night was plug everything in to get the controllers and batteries charged. I noticed it took forever to charge the batteries using a standard USB receptacle. I believe it's only a 5 watt charger.

I'm going on vacation, and space is at a premium. I have to bring my computer with me (Dell 7320), which has a small USB-C charger. I believe it is a 45 or 65 watt charger.

If I can get away with using it to plug into the 3-battery charging dock, and controller, I don't have to bring any extra cables, or charger bricks. I can charge my computer, iPhone, and DJI stuff with one cord.

Let me know if anyone sees any problems with using this charging brick for DJI products?

Thanks!

JB

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
There are people that use the 45 watt Anker charger to charge the mini 3 and I have heard of no problems with them doing that.
NOW THE Boilerplate from D.J.I. :
""Just a reminder that to ensure charging speed, DJI recommends for you to use the DJI 30W USB-C Charger or other USB Power Delivery chargers for compatibility and reliability purposes. In addition, there is a possibility that these 3rd party chargers will be able work. However, since it's not yet optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party chargers if it will charge the said batteries all the time with no issues and using 3rd party chargers might void the warranty of your DJI Mini 3 Pro. Thank you.""

Reactions: jbedford
I use a similar Dell charger from my Inspiron laptop to charge my Mini 3. Works fine and fast charges.

Use it!

I use a 3rd party 66w charger for charging my mini3p batteries and controller and have never had any issues with it. I used the same charger for my laptop, phone, drone, and smartwatch when travelling, so this was very efficient use of space. USB C chargers are "intelligent" and negotiate charging voltages with the device being charged. They'll default to basic 5V charging and, if possible, increase the voltage up to a mutually agreeable level. The mini3p 3xbattery charging hub can accept 12v 3A (theoretically 36w), hence the recommendation to use a 30w charger. The batteries won't charge any faster with a charger rated much higher than 30w, but a charger rated at less than 30w will charge the batteries significantly slower.

Thank you all - that's great news. First, I don't need to buy a special charging brick, which makes for efficient packing for my trip. I always have my computer charger with me, and, most of the time, a 20 watt Apple phone charger brick for my iPhone.

It's been raining here since I purchased my drone two nights ago. I'm all charged up, and firmwares have been updated. I took off in my office for a minute because I couldn't wait to try it out. Hopefully, we will get some nicer weather soon!

Cheers everyone!

Reactions: scro
Thank you all - that's great news. First, I don't need to buy a special charging brick, which makes for efficient packing for my trip. I always have my computer charger with me, and, most of the time, a 20 watt Apple phone charger brick for my iPhone.
True, true, but there's more to consider. You can (and should) store away the DELL and Apple chargers, that DELL charger is massive, and very inefficient. I'm guessing there's a single USB C connection.

If you can spend a little I'd recommend getting a GaN wall charger with more capacity and multiple ports. Then you can charge all your drone gear at the same time, fast, and your laptop too if you need to.

I'm a fan of WOTOBEUS chargers, they're good quality, meet their specs, well built, and come with an adapter power cord if plugging directly into the wall is problematic. Like most of these wall-bricks, the blades fold down making a uniform little block that takes very little space.

I've got the 130W version, love it. $80 at Amazon:

130W USB C GaN Wall Charger WOTOBEUS PD 100W PPS45W

51HE1FD3rNL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I use the new Anker 65w charger and have never seen more than 28w going to the batteries, down to 11w near full charge. You should be good.

True, true, but there's more to consider. You can (and should) store away the DELL and Apple chargers, that DELL charger is massive, and very inefficient. I'm guessing there's a single USB C connection.

If you can spend a little I'd recommend getting a GaN wall charger with more capacity and multiple ports. Then you can charge all your drone gear at the same time, fast, and your laptop too if you need to.

I'm a fan of WOTOBEUS chargers, they're good quality, meet their specs, well built, and come with an adapter power cord if plugging directly into the wall is problematic. Like most of these wall-bricks, the blades fold down making a uniform little block that takes very little space.

I've got the 130W version, love it. $80 at Amazon:

130W USB C GaN Wall Charger WOTOBEUS PD 100W PPS45W

51HE1FD3rNL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Thank you @mightypilot2000, that looks like an impressive charger. I’m leaving for vacation tomorrow so the Dell charger will have to do, but I can see a larger wattage GaN charger being an advantage with 3-4 ports so multiple devices can be plugged in and charging at the same time with one simple single charger, just your various device cables. Amazing. Thank you!

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1