DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a smart phone with a drone

Spikes Mavic

Reactions
Hi
When using a smart phone with a drone, does the phone have to connect to the internet via using data on my phone, or does the controller get GPS, I only have a PAYG phone, data is turned off, I only get data web sites etc when I am in a free wi-fi area !.

cheers
Spike

Your phone does not need to be connected to the internet to fly. The aircraft itself has it's own built in GPS.

Reactions: twickers14
I only get data web sites etc when I am in a free wi-fi area !.

You don't need an internet connection as stated above, but you may have to update firmware / software every so often.

If you don't have home Wi-Fi, you might stop by your free Wi-Fi area with your kit and check for any updates before flying at your spot.

You won't have to do it every time you fly, just check about every other month.

@Spikes Mavic when you first set up your new Mini 2 drone ,you will need an internet connection and a email address to set it up ,and have it logged on to DJI ,you will only need this ,as others have said to check for any updates ,that may become available from time to time
if you have a IOS phone then the Fly App can be downloaded from the App store ,but for an Android phone you need to download it direct from the DJI downloads section it is no longer available in the play store

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman