DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

vertical limit dji mavic pro 2

That seems a little strange that registered, qualifed and (I assume) insured UAV pilots can not fly over 400 feet but unregistered, uninsured and untrained UAV pilots can
I appreciate it is difficult to prove a negative but do you have any evidence for this? I assume there is a link somewhere that will confirm this.

Not arguing as I am not likley to fly a consumer drone in the USA I am just intrested in what seems to be an anomaly.

I don't need to search for anything. YOU stated it as a fact not me.
All I asked for was a link to support YOUR facts.

Its just a loophole some will try to fly their drones through. All of our registration certificates, hobby and 107, state to remain under 400’ for safety’s sake and proving innocence to a judge after an accident based on that loophole would be difficult if not impossible.

Its just a loophole some will try to fly their drones through. All of our registration certificates, hobby and 107, state to remain under 400’ for safety’s sake and proving innocence to a judge after an accident based on that loophole would be difficult if not impossible.
When you get lawyers involved in a commercial situation - it all suddenly makes sense! (in a dog-eat-dog kind of way!!!)

That seems a little strange that registered, qualifed and (I assume) insured UAV pilots can not fly over 400 feet but unregistered, uninsured and untrained UAV pilots can
I appreciate it is difficult to prove a negative but do you have any evidence for this? I assume there is a link somewhere that will confirm this.

Not arguing as I am not likley to fly a consumer drone in the USA I am just intrested in what seems to be an anomaly.

I did some research for ya and it’s true there’s no rule or law that says a hobbyist can’t fly over 400’ in the US. The entire law is 146 pages so including link and relevant info

Sec. 336 Special Rule for Model Aircraft
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
***(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community- based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;***
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program adminis- tered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and (5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).

Note #2. This means that the FAA can’t regulate the rules for model aircraft for non-commercial purposes, ie fly for hobby. Instead the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) will regulate them. I swear to you I thought they had a rule not to fly over 400’ but they don’t apparently. Still have a VLOS til though. AMA regulation info (see page 4)

As said above you can set the max height to 500m. Not trying to be a drone cop, but the concern you would want to have is not commercial aircraft while flying in the mountains, but other manned aircraft, etc, Helicopters, private planes, hang gliders, wing suits, etc, etc.

You WILL definitely lose VLOS of your Mavic at those distances. In addition to not seeing your Mavic, you will be unable to see the above hazards, as well as possible birds of prey, etc, and other possible hazards not seen from the ground. Legal aspects aside, you are risking losing your Mavic to unreachable and unrecoverable places, and potentially having an unwanted accident.

If you insist on being able to reach altitudes above 500m, remember that limitation is AGL from the take off point. So if you have an access road that takes you higher up the mountain, then your 500m limit would start from that higher altitude take off point.

Great Flying and Fly Safe!

Last edited:
Reactions: FoxhallGH
I did some research for ya and it’s true there’s no rule or law that says a hobbyist can’t fly over 400’ in the US. The entire law is 146 pages so including link and relevant info

Sec. 336 Special Rule for Model Aircraft
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
***(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community- based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;***
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program adminis- tered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and (5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).

Note #2. This means that the FAA can’t regulate the rules for model aircraft for non-commercial purposes, ie fly for hobby. Instead the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) will regulate them. I swear to you I thought they had a rule not to fly over 400’ but they don’t apparently. Still have a VLOS til though. AMA regulation info (see page 4)

All should be aware that the FAA Re-authorization Act of 2018 which was approved and is in the works will require hobby pilots to take the FAA certification test, limit AGL to 400', maintain VLOS as well as other changes. As it is not finalized yet, instructions are to follow existing rules until it is complete and published.

Again not trying to be the Drone Police, just clarifying for those above. The OP obviously would be flying outside the VLOS which is listed as a requirement. It does not matter if your breaking one rule or several, your still breaking rules in the eyes of the authorities.

Reactions: brett8883
All should be aware that the FAA Re-authorization Act of 2018 which was approved and is in the works will require hobby pilots to take the FAA certification test, limit AGL to 400', maintain VLOS as well as other changes. As it is not finalized yet, instructions are to follow existing rules until it is complete and published.

Again not trying to be the Drone Police, just clarifying for those above. The OP obviously would be flying outside the VLOS which is listed as a requirement. It does not matter if your breaking one rule or several, your still breaking rules in the eyes of the authorities.

This is true!

FAA Re-authorization Act of 2018 which was approved and is in the works will require hobby pilots to take the FAA certification test

i personally think that it would only be for the best if so, but, you are wrong.
New FAA Reauthorization Act Has Big Implications for Hobbyist Drone Pilots - UAV Coach

they only talk about the 'knowledge test'. if you got new dji remote- they got a test like that in the front when you turn it on. part 107 test is a completely different level of the effort.

i personally think that it would only be for the best if so, but, you are wrong.
New FAA Reauthorization Act Has Big Implications for Hobbyist Drone Pilots - UAV Coach

they only talk about the 'knowledge test'. if you got new dji remote- they got a test like that in the front when you turn it on. part 107 test is a completely different level of the effort.

Thanks for the correction Paulatkin73. The testing portion may be in error from the source I read. My bad if so. That will be confirmed when published. Testing aside, the rules will still be as noted. My "Opinion" noted above regarding LOS and Safety still stands.

I don't know about elsewhere, but in Australia we have the 400' ceiling for a good reason. Manned aircraft need to stay above 500'.

My neighbor - currently in jail for two felonies and awaiting his jury trial in April - took this photo.
I think it's about testosterone, emotional immaturity, and a sociopathic personality disorder.
When I asked him how high the drone was when he took this, he said, "Over 1,000 feet." His drone was NOT made by DJI.

altitude.pngaltitude.png

Last edited:

Nobody has any idea what it’s gonna be not even the FAA. “Certification”, “knowledge test” whatever the fact of the matter is the government is trying to take away our freedoms and “track” our movements. This is all according to the article you just supplied which has me all pissed off. The FAA is the WORST angency in the government and swampiest of the swamps. They are in the back pocket of the airlines who will lose a lot of money if drones become an alternative.

And this all goes for the 107ers out there. Please let me know if you learned ANYTHING for taking that certification that you have actually used and if that knowledge saved you from a disaster with a manned aircraft.

Sorry this gets me worked up.

My neighbor - currently in jail for two felonies and awaiting his jury trial in April - took this photo.
I think it's about testosterone, emotional immaturity, and a sociopathic personality disorder.
When I asked him how high the drone was when he took this, he said, "Over 1,000 feet." His drone was NOT made by DJI.

View attachment 63142View attachment 63142
Lmao wow emotional immaturity and sociopathic personality disorder? Lmao you people crack me up

Reactions: v8juice
To try to help the OP isn't there a way to reset the home point when you get to the top or on your way to the top of a mountain or high point while in flight??

Is he in jail for something related to taking this photo?

No, he's not in jail for taking this photo (or others like it - with his Autel X-Star.) He's charged with "Assault" and "Intimidation" of a police officer. Aggressive disrespect for authority is the common denominator.

probably did not like being told he could not fly his drone at the airport ,and land on the runway that would do it

Reactions: Bobby Brown
probably did not like being told he could not fly his drone at the airport ,and land on the runway that would do it

You're probably right. When I told him he was flying three times higher than allowed by law, his response was that the nearest airport was twenty miles away. :mad:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green