DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video from RC and SD different length

Scarnag

Reactions
I would think this would be easy to find some discussion on but my Google fu is letting me down.

Same results with Spark and Mavic Air at several different video settings.

Video cached from the RC is not the same length as from the SD card in the drone. Makes it a pain to sync if using for voice over etc. I would guess it is because of dropped frames or something along those lines. Does anyone know for sure?

Using Final Cut Pro X anyone have a good way to resync the two? I was decent in Premier and Final Cut many years back and I am relearning now. I guess if pieces of the RC version are missing there is not really a way to truly sync them.

I see videos where people are using the RC version for sound and lip-sync is on so maybe I am missing something. Would like to know what their workflow is to do it.

Thanks

I would think this would be easy to find some discussion on but my Google fu is letting me down.

Video cached from the RC is not the same length as from the SD card in the drone. Makes it a pain to sync if using for voice over etc. I would guess it is because of dropped frames or something along those lines. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks
Wouldn't this be a straight up frame rate issue? Can't you tell in FC Pro what the frame rate for any given clip is? If so, you can stretch/compress one to match another.

Thanks for the reply. Also it seems I put this thread in the wrong place, sorry mods.

Even if both RC and SD are same frame rate it happens. Length should be the same either way (in a perfect world)

I don't need or want the video from the RC version so I extract the audio from it to bring into FCP so frame rate is not at play.

The two videos are simply not the same length of time. The longer the video the larger the difference. I attached a couple screen shots of two of several I did today. The one with -LR is from RC always at 720p/30, the drone was at 1080p/30 and 2.7k/60 in these examples

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 4.53.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 4.59.15 PM.png .

In my experience it’s because of signal dropouts in the video recorded to cache.

I guess that you're using the start of the clips as the sync point - this isn't good practice. Most people clap, capturing the sound on a sound device and the video of the clap on video, this is then used to sync in post. They use a fancier version of this in movies where they use a 'clapper board' with a timestamp to sync. In Premiere pro there's an 'autosync audio to video' feature, not sure about FCP.

To manually do the sync, manually mark the 'in' when the hands touch, bring this into your sequence (assuming same process for FCP as PP), then review the audio curve on your second clip, marking 'in' at the peak.

Thanks for the replies. Tictag, I thought about that this weekend but have not had a chance to test it out. I used to teach video editing about 15 years back and remember the students reactions when I would tell them what that thing was for. A bit embarrassed I did not think of it sooner.

Scarnag, there's nothing to apologize for as this is an issue that no one seems to have a straight answer for, and it's unrelated to your video editing abilities.

Every search for the subject in forums has the replies with a number of "I think", "probably", "I guess", and suggestions that fault the user. I don't understand why there isn't an official answer to this, apart from suspecting there is no easy or straight answer, since it's an inherent problem of DJI's making.

For disclosure purposes I own a Mavic Pro and a Spark, and use an iPhone X or iPhone 7 (and less often an iPad Pro) with the controller. I also always use a cable to connect the Spark’s controller to the device. Although I’m not a full-time professional editor, I’m a filmmaker and have edited since before going to film school in the 90’s, on everything from analog film flatbeds, to VHS “pro” decks, Betacam, DV, through to Avid, Premiere, and Final Cut, both pre-X and X (although I do miss FCP 7…)

The problem apparently starts with the fact that the device running the DJI4 app, which records the audio, records a variable rate clip, while the drone itself records at a fixed rate, which for the mavic can be chosen and for the spark it's fixed at NTSC's video standard of 29.97fps. I say "seems" because some of those clips vary slightly in their actual fps when played, but at any rate the SD files seem to be recorded at a fixed speed, while the device's file may fluctuate with the environment and performance variations of the device.

Then there's the fact that the audio on your device is recorded at a 44.100Hz sample rate - the standard of audio CDs, whereas the default for audio in FCP X is 48.000 - the same as most pro editing equipment.

That all means that you get variable sizes and durations in your device clips - the ones with audio - that are never the same as your SD higher resolution ones. So if you want audio on your SD clips you need to resample, convert, then manually sync on the timeline using editing software.

I think most people don’t care or mind since there’s so little evidence of that. I personally find that problem a hassle beyond belief. And it’s not just for “pro” uses”. I shoot long takes with tracking shots of me and friends, and I tend to talk a lot. Syncing that audio to the video is always a nightmare. It literally falls out of sync over and over again in the course of one long sentence (or paragraph equivalent.) So all that resampling and re-encoding still doesn’t fix the fact the lengths have to be rematched on FCP X (by changing the speed of the audio and dragging on the timeline) and then re-synced by hand, every time that it’s visible that the audio is out of sync. And the auto-sync function of FCPX doesn’t work with either the resampled clips or the original clips from the DJI app and the SD card.

To me, that issue is incredible frustrating. I’ve tried also using the app to re-download the SD footage from the drone, and all it does is exactly that, and you just and up with the two files on your device. I originally expected for the app to do the resampling and syncing on its own…

I guess most use the footage without the audio, or when needing the audio for “casual” purposes, they just use the often crappy footage from the device, which at least to me stays (mostly) in sync with the video and its crappy changing quality.

If anyone has a solution to this and/or a workflow that “works”, pun intended, I’d love to stand corrected on this issue. And most importantly, find a better way to reconcile the audio with the better quality SD video from my DJI drones.

PS- I apologize for the incredibly lengthy post...

Thanks for the info CamNYC. I have done some more investigating since posting this and the more I looked into it the worse it got and I found all the things you listed in your post. I decided that I will avoid it if possible because it is not worth it for anything just for the fun of it because its a pain in the ***.

Maybe very short spots but if you have more than one you are going to have to sync each one (as you stated).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki