DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video frustration.

2X25MPG

Reactions
Why does it record video and let me see it on my device in the editor, but not viewable on windows movie maker after uploading card to computer ?
All i get is a black screen

Us senior citizens with no computer tech skills get left in the dust by you guys today !

I'm not an expert, but my first guess would be something around the codecs on the PC. Search google for 'K-lite codec pack' download the right version (32 bit or 64 bit depending on your machine) then give it a go.

K-lite will install a small video player called media player classic (start menu under klite). See if that will play the file. If it will then windows movie maker might do as well.

Finally, windows movie maker is no longer supported. Try downloading a program called 'shotcut' - it's free and runs on most machines. It's pretty good for free. there is another good free one called 'lightworks' but that needs a bit more oomph to run and I never had much luck with it on my machine.

Hope this helps

lol

Download VLC and use that instead of windows garbage.
I think he's trying to make a video from his footage, hence the use of movie maker. I would agree that VLC is probably the best player and installing that may sort out any codec issues.

I don't think 'lol' is a particularly helpful response though - the guy admits that he's a senior citizen and doesn't understand the technicalities of video.

I think he's trying to make a video from his footage, hence the use of movie maker. I would agree that VLC is probably the best player and installing that may sort out any codec issues.

I don't think 'lol' is a particularly helpful response though - the guy admits that he's a senior citizen and doesn't understand the technicalities of video.

You're totally right, my bad.

The lol wasn't really at the question, more at this reply:

Darned if the vi

72 080
e the

Are you saving in .mp4 or .mov? Should come right up in Windows Live Movie Maker. Use .mp4 if you are a Windows guy.

Are you saving in .mp4 or .mov? Should come right up in Windows Live Movie Maker. Use .mp4 if you are a Windows guy.
Thank you, i do not know how to make the videos mp4. There is a nice guy in CT trying to help me on this forum thing.

OK. finally figured out how to output in mp4. Took little vids in 4k 1080 720 load them on computer and try to view in Win photos and Win movie maker...........
still NOTHING !

You should still follow the recommendation to download and install the free VLC media player, which should at least let you view the files. Much better than Windows media player: Download official VLC media player for Windows - Video A gentleman in CT helped me download that VLC player and nothing is playable on that either. I am about ready to just give up on ever being able to view a video that i take on my computer.

VLC has never failed to play anything I've thrown at it, and it certainly plays videos recorded by the Mavic. There must be something else going on.

Can you tell us a little more about your computer? Age, version of Windows you're using and so forth? How are you transferring the videos from the memory card? What kind of memory card are you using?

Windows 10. Dell XPS 8000 about 6yr old.
I take the card from drone and upload to computer from Windows photos section on the computer. ( it's the exact same way i upload pics from my SLR )
The micro sd card in the mavic is a Sandisk Extreme. There is a U symbol with a #3 inside it, also says HC 1 on the card.
As mentioned before...... pics view fine on computer but play video and all i get is a black or green screen.

The specs for your computer and sd card seem fine.

I take the card from drone and upload to computer from Windows photos section on the computer. ( it's the exact same way i upload pics from my SLR )
I'm wondering whether the problem is that you're using the crappy Windows photo utility for videos. Try this instead (which I promise isn't difficult):

Put the memory card in your card reader. Rather than using software to download the files, double-click on the "This PC" icon on your desktop. You should be able to find your memory card reader under Devices and Drives. Double-click on it to open it.

You'll have to click open one or two more folders (sorry, I'm at work right now and don't remember the exact sequence to walk you through it). One of the folders is probably named DCIM. You'll find your video and photo files in there.

Once you find them, just drag and drop the video files onto your desktop.

Once on your desktop, try playing them again with VLC. Your computer will probably try to open them with the Windows player again. Instead, right-click on the video file and choose "Open with ... " and select VLC.

A 6-year old PC likely won't have the decoding hardware the modern Windows built-in tools rely on.

Use a decent playback software/video editor, that will at least work even if it may be unusably slow. Also make sure your graphics drivers etc are up to date.

Last edited:
I have a 7-year-old Dell that works just fine for playing and editing 4K video. I did upgrade the RAM to 16 GB later when I had a stick go bad. The OP's computer should at least be able to play the files. I'm just wondering whether the Windows tool is corrupting the files somehow.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird