DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video looks different on dji go app compared to the raw footage

BaNZ

Reactions
I'm new to this. Last weekend I took my MA out for the first time. I took a bunch of videos and it looked good from the footage in dji go app. After I got home, I plug in the drone and downloaded the videos to my computer. It is badly overexposed.

Filmed at 4k 30fps. ND16 filter. iso 100-200 shutter 1/60. It was partly cloudy and I was high up in the mountains so there was some snow.

Do the dji go app do some post processing for recorded videos? Or probably just its harder to notice the overexposure when I'm looking from my tiny phone.

What does the histogram look like when shooting? do you have overexposure warning enabled?

I switched them off as they were clogging up my screen. I had ND4 filter in the beginner and I thought my camera was busted when I couldn't see anything. Switched to ND16 and turned off overexposure.

I don't know how to read a histogram so I also turned that off.

Guess I should've been more well prepared! But it was nerve wrecking flying a drone for the first time. I was just too focused on not losing it.

and that's ok initially.. but once you get past the point of worrying about the actual flying and start focusing more on the videography then understanding a histogram (which really is super simple) and adjusting your exposure properly is just as important... spend the 2 minutes, learn how to use it, you'll thank yourself later every time you work with the footage you shot.

Thank you guys. Looks like I shouldn't rely on just looking at the screen! I should've used all those tools. I'm just glad that I didn't lose my drone, so much more to learn.

Just take your time and practice hovering with fingers off sticks. I shoot 360 Panorama's regularly where I fly at high speed (Sport Mode) to a location and then point my camera straight down to frame the shot using the Histogram and getting my positioning where I want it. Then I just park it in the sky and start the 360 degree panorama process. Get used to parking in the sky and all your fears will slowly start to subside. Just let it hang there.

If you are interested in 360 degree spherical panorama's download the Hangar360 app for iOs (assuming you are using an iOs device) and its free and easy to use.

I'm surprised at how welcoming this forum is! I was expecting people are tired of hearing the same questions over and over again.

Every time when the drone is up in the air, my heart is racing and I'm super stressed. We got wind gust of up to 20mph. I see high wind alert on my app and I drop the altitude quickly.

Yeah I need to work out how to view the 360 degree panorama from my android. Haven't looked into that. This weekend was just testing what I can do with the drone. I've triggered the RTH but I didn't let it go all the way. Also tried taking off and landing on my car hood which apparently after searching the forums, it's a big no no due to metal interference.

Did try sport mode and I love it. But definitely need to be very careful. I spent a lot of time scouting the area for power lines.

I kinda like the same old questions as it makes me "appear" to somewhat of an expert cause I have learned many of the answers already. :) The more you fly and realize that if you have the Home Point Recorded in the DJIGO 4 app and have sufficient GPS locked then you can just leave the Mavic hanging in the air without alot of worry. Now if you are at a high altitude then be aware wind conditions can be radically different then ground elevation and be much more intense.

If you notice the Mavic drifting at higher altitudes then dont panic , but immediately switch the Sport Mode switch on and drop elevation. Sport Mode will allow one to fight the wind back towards thier Home Point as there is more motor RPM available AND more forward pitch which helps to "slice" through the wind. Sport Mode also cancels any intelligent flight modes and RTH as well.

Try not to ignore High Wind Warnings from the app and take them seriously.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Wolf