DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video over exposed

Dundermifflin

Reactions
When you’re in video mode and you go into the settings (the three lines with alternating circles below the red start/stop button) and you select the shutter icon (first of three icons at the top), does that control the video too or is that just for still shots (even though I’m in video mode)?

My video is coming out over exposed in bright sunlight (using the darker of the three ND filters).

Still and video settings are separate. For overexposure adjust your ISO settings. For finer adjustments, try rolling the right finger wheel on the RC one way or the other.

I was shooting video at sundown yesterday and the video was too dark. At first thought the available light was not enough until I noticed that my video ISO was set to 100.

My video is coming out over exposed in bright sunlight (using the darker of the three ND filters).
Is the EV adjustment = 0? This is shown on RC and in the app.
It's adjusted with the right wheel, and can be easily moved accidentally.

Still and video settings are separate. For overexposure adjust your ISO settings. For finer adjustments, try rolling the right finger wheel on the RC one way or the other.
Yes, but if you're in manual exposure mode the shutter speed settings DO still apply to video. It's what you have to set in conjunction with ISO and your chosen ND filter to get the correct exposure.

What specific ND filter are you using? It should be written on the side.

The way you manually adjust video exposure with an ND filter is this:

Set ISO to 100. Set the shutter speed number to double the frame rate you're shooting. (If you're shooting at 30 fps, set shutter speed to 60, which is 1/60th of a second.) Then use the correct ND filter to get the EV as close to 0.0 as possible. Which ND filter you use depends on how sunny it is and may take some trial and error. You can do it while the Mavic is on the ground. Just point the camera toward something that is lit more or less like what you're trying to shoot video of.

Generally on a sunny day I find myself using about an ND32, sometimes an ND16.

Last edited:
Reactions: flodi
But, if you're in manual exposure the shutter speed settings DO apply to video. It's what you have to set in conjunction with ISO and your chosen ND filter to get the correct exposure.
Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks for the correction.

When you’re in video mode and you go into the settings (the three lines with alternating circles below the red start/stop button) and you select the shutter icon (first of three icons at the top), does that control the video too or is that just for still shots (even though I’m in video mode)?

To distinguish between the two types of settings (photo vs. video), tap the little icon above the record button to switch between the two. Then edit the settings accordingly...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d