DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Resolution

GregS

Reactions
I was wondering why is it when opening a video posted here that it opens mostly in 720p, and sometimes lower quality, when most are captured in 4K? YouTube is the same way. Guess it gives us a choice. Do you change the resolution, or just watch it in how it opens?
I always go to the little 'gear' in the lower right and change to either 1440p or 4K.
Guess some don't have a device to handle higher resolution, or editing.
I am always amazed at not only the video subjects we see here, but when viewed in at least 1440p, the absolute detail of the video.
I have posted before that even on a 1080p screen, if I change the video to 1440p, the difference is so evident. I always say in 1080p I can see the trees, and in 1440p I can see the leaves on the trees.
Anyway, thanks for posting all these beautiful videos!

I understand changing the resolution in YouTube. I was referring mainly to the lower resolution when opening a video in this forum. I did not know YouTube changed anything. I just went there and it is as always; little gear in lower right. Guess I don't have the latest...Don't think I want the latest update in YouTube!

I understand changing the resolution in YouTube. I was referring mainly to the lower resolution when opening a video in this forum. I did not know YouTube changed anything. I just went there and it is as always; little gear in lower right. Guess I don't have the latest...Don't think I want the latest update in YouTube!
Oh ok, sounds good. I rarely watch the entire video thru the forum post but I could watch a short video or the first minute; yes I can see those come up in 720p.

I'm glad you can see the difference in the videos at higher resolution, so can I. For me, the difference is rather stark when it comes to 4k which is why I usually click on the YT button and automatically open the embedded forum video into full-screen browser and it comes up directly into 4k. I do this for all videos in the showcase or critique forum.

Oh ok, sounds good. I rarely watch the entire video thru the forum post but I could watch a short video or the first minute; yes I can see those come up in 720p.

I'm glad you can see the difference in the videos at higher resolution, so can I. For me, the difference is rather stark when it comes to 4k which is why I usually click on the YT button and automatically open the embedded forum video into full-screen browser and it comes up directly into 4k. I do this for all videos in the showcase or critique forum.
That's great it opens in 4k for you. It only does that if I go to another video after selecting 1440 or 4k. The initial opening is almost always in 720p. So I change it.

Reactions: mavic3usa
I would think that making the videos play at high res by default would cause the average computer or internet connection to Lag pretty hard!

I would think that making the videos play at high res by default would cause the average computer or internet connection to Lag pretty hard!
Agree...my PC and laptop will handle 4k, but my tablet can only handle 1440p. I almost always just go to 1440p.

I Know someone whose ISP is AT&T. It would probably take him 30 min to watch a 5 min video in 4K
That would drive me crazy! I have Xfinity with almost 600 mbps. It's rare that I pause in 4k.

The speed of your internet connection is what determines the player resolution of a youtube video. The browser you are using can also have an effect.

Contrary to what some think, clicking on a Youtube link here or on Youtube itself is essentially the same - you are clicking on a link that connects to a Youtube server that goes through a protocol before streaming the data across the internet through the connection at your location. Slower internet connections get a lower resolution than high speed connections.

There are extensions you can install to permanently set the playback resolution if you're so inclined. For Google chrome there is "Enhancer for Youtube" for example.

Reactions: Cafguy
The speed of your internet connection is what determines the player resolution of a youtube video. The browser you are using can also have an effect.

Contrary to what some think, clicking on a Youtube link here or on Youtube itself is essentially the same - you are clicking on a link that connects to a Youtube server that goes through a protocol before streaming the data across the internet through the connection at your location. Slower internet connections get a lower resolution than high speed connections.

There are extensions you can install to permanently set the playback resolution if you're so inclined. For Google chrome there is "Enhancer for Youtube" for example.
Good info....just looked but could not find that setting. So where do I find that setting in Chrome; which is what I use.

Oops:
Distribution of Enhancer for YouTube™ temporarily stopped!
Due to the countless changes that the YouTube developers have made, Enhancer for YouTube™ is now completely broken for Firefox (partially works for Chromium based browsers) so I had to pause its distribution. A huge amount of work is necessary to fix all the issues so don't expect a new version to be released in the upcoming days. Please do not contact me for an estimated date of release, I don't have one.

Could you give us a date for when we can contact you for a release date?

j/k 🤣
Below is what was copied from the YouTube site when I tried to d/l the add on.

Due to the countless changes that the YouTube developers have made, Enhancer for YouTube™ is now completely broken for Firefox (partially works for Chromium based browsers) so I had to pause its distribution. A huge amount of work is necessary to fix all the issues so don't expect a new version to be released in the upcoming days. Please do not contact me for an estimated date of release, I don't have one.

All the streaming services re-encode your video when you upload it. They create several streams each with different resolutions and quality settings. Each time a link to a title is selected, the service checks the speed of the connection, and selects a version of your title that will stream without pauses for buffering.

Good high speed connections and a fast computer will get 4K high quality encodes. Slower connections and computers will be served lower resolution lower quality streams.

That all sounds good, however, I have about 600 mbps download speed. I call that fast. So if my service checks like you say, then why will a 4k video open in 360p? I just opened one and it was just that.

Below is what was copied from the YouTube site when I tried to d/l the add on.

In case you didn't know, "j/k" means "just kidding".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas