DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Visiting A Friend in Illinois gonna keep my Drones packed up for now

DroneJI

Reactions
I just did some research on the use of UAV’s in Illinois and what I found makes it a bit scary to fly some of the laws are Vague leaving a big ? About what I can and can’t do! This is one of the links I found with current and pending laws in this state ! Illinois – State Drone Law
I have seen way to many videos of law enforcement fining and threatening UAV pilots with jail, confiscation, etc when there were no laws that allow them to act on! Standing up for your rights can be costly and ruin a vacation, I’m glad South Carolina doesn’t have people writing laws with no apparent logic behind them! I used to hate SC and it’s laws.

The page you provided a link to lists a few basic laws common to every state. One being not flying in an airport's airspace, which is already regulated by the FAA regardless of the state you're in. Aside from that, a handful of municipalities are listed that regulate drones. The Evanston moratorium, for example, has expired and you can fly a drone in Evanston. Chicago has some strict regulations, but if you follow them, you're perfectly fine, or just don't fly in Chicago. Illinois is so much bigger than just Chicago and a few other small villages. You can fly along the shore of lake Michigan or out to the lake. You can fly over many of the lakes in Lake county, forest preserves, savannas. Galena IL has some scenic landscapes. Overall though, I'd say that the Illinois landscape is not very interesting. You can fly perfectly fine in Illinois, the laws are the same as everywhere else. Once in a while you'll run into an anti-drone municipality like in every state.

The page you provided a link to lists a few basic laws common to every state. One being not flying in an airport's airspace, which is already regulated by the FAA regardless of the state you're in. Aside from that, a handful of municipalities are listed that regulate drones. The Evanston moratorium, for example, has expired and you can fly a drone in Evanston. Chicago has some strict regulations, but if you follow them, you're perfectly fine, or just don't fly in Chicago. Illinois is so much bigger than just Chicago and a few other small villages. You can fly along the shore of lake Michigan or out to the lake. You can fly over many of the lakes in Lake county, forest preserves, savannas. Galena IL has some scenic landscapes. Overall though, I'd say that the Illinois landscape is not very interesting. You can fly perfectly fine in Illinois, the laws are the same as everywhere else. Once in a while you'll run into an anti-drone municipality like in every state.

Were I was it was basically banned I wasn’t going to drive somewhere specifically to fly! I did fly in Wisconsin a small town park I called the one cop they had and he basically said don’t fly over private property and I’ll be fine, I could not find any laws about private property flights in the state! But it’s not worth arguing with a cop if he says what I can and can’t do I fly within his rules right or wrong and not break any FAA laws, he thought the ceiling was 500 agl! I did tell him it was 400 unless authorization was given! Not much in Belleview WI just the Duluth Trading company outlet we went to shop! The park was nice and the view was ok.

I just did some research on the use of UAV’s in Illinois and what I found makes it a bit scary to fly some of the laws are Vague leaving a big ? About what I can and can’t do! This is one of the links I found with current and pending laws in this state ! Illinois – State Drone Law
I have seen way to many videos of law enforcement fining and threatening UAV pilots with jail, confiscation, etc when there were no laws that allow them to act on! Standing up for your rights can be costly and ruin a vacation, I’m glad South Carolina doesn’t have people writing laws with no apparent logic behind them! I used to hate SC and it’s laws.
Hi There,
I live in Rockford , IL and I have flown in many county parks here,and when the Park Police go by they don't even bother looking at us flying, I'm sure though every place might be a little different, I've never had a single problem, just be aware and watchful. Good Luck
SteveP55

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor