DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VR Fun to 100%

Deckyon

Reactions
OK, do you want to WOW your family and friends with your brand new, long awaited drone? Do you want to take their breath away? Get the following items and go give it a try.

1. Mavic Drone and RC
2. Phone/Table for the RC
3. $20 VR Goggles (like Google Cardboard or whatever, even Walmart sells some now). I would recommend some where you can adjust the lenses.
4. Spare phone
5. Litchi App (to control the drone). Activate shareing in Litchi app.
6. Litchi Vue (on the spare phone)
7. Wide open area to fly, just in case.

Now, get the drone ready to fly and launch the Litchi app on the main phone/tablet. Once the drone is on and connected, within Litchi app, in upper right hand corner, launch the Litchi View Streaming mode. Open Litchi Vue on the 2nd phone and connect to the main controller. You can turn off the HUD. Connect phone into the goggles and have the family member or friend put them on.

Now, just fly. You will want to make sure your Litchi app is in FPV mode. It will blow the other person's mind, as they will be flying through the air. Even just hovering in my living room and turning the drone in circles, it was mesmerizing.

(Streaming and the Litchi Vue app are $5 to activate each, but man, it is hella worth it.)

I can't wait to see my nieces faces (well, hear their reactions) when I take them for a flight this Christmas.

Nice! Which one did you get (link if possible)? I was looking at Merge ($60) or Homido V2 ($80) to use with my iphone 6.

OK, do you want to WOW your family and friends with your brand new, long awaited drone? Do you want to take their breath away? Get the following items and go give it a try.

1. Mavic Drone and RC
3. $20 VR Goggles (like Google Cardboard or whatever, even Walmart sells some now). I would recommend some where you can adjust the lenses.
4. Spare phone

Now, get the drone ready to fly and launch the Litchi app on the main phone/tablet. Once the drone is on and connected, within Litchi app, in upper right hand corner, launch the Litchi View Streaming mode. Open Litchi Vue on the 2nd phone and connect to the main controller. You can turn off the HUD. Connect phone into the goggles and have the family member or friend put them on.

Now, just fly. You will want to make sure your Litchi app is in FPV mode. It will blow the other person's mind, as they will be flying through the air. Even just hovering in my living room and turning the drone in circles, it was mesmerizing.

(Streaming and the Litchi Vue app are $5 to activate each, but man, it is hella worth it.)

I can't wait to see my nieces faces (well, hear their reactions) when I take them for a flight this Christmas.
Would the Fat Shark goggles work? How would you set those up to work without an HDMI connection?

You'll need a device like Nvidia Shield K1 to connect the Fat Shark goggles. Someone here has done it...I think.

You'll need a device like Nvidia Shield K1 to connect the Fat Shark goggles. Someone here has done it...I think.
This was about not buying a whole new setup and considering here in the US, you have to have a spotter with you anyway if you want to use the Drone with goggles, why not trade off the experience. $30 is all this cost me when it was said and done. Of course, I already had a 2nd device.

Thanks for the post this is definitely something I'll look into doing next spring.

You'll need a device like Nvidia Shield K1 to connect the
This was about not buying a whole new setup and considering here in the US, you have to have a spotter with you anyway if you want to use the Drone with goggles, why not trade off the experience. $30 is all this cost me when it was said and done. Of course, I already had a 2nd device.

Sorry...I was replying to Chickenhoss.

1. Mavic Drone and RC
4. Spare phone

I don't quite understand. Do both phones plug into the RC at same time or does
the second phone connect in some other way?

I would like to try this!

I don't quite understand. Do both phones plug into the RC at same time or does
the second phone connect in some other way?

I would like to try this!

Only one plugs into the remote. You will install the Litchi Vue app on the 2nd phone for the VR Goggles. There is then a setting in the main Litchi app that will stream to the Vue app, and in the Vue app you can set it to use VR goggles (of the Google Cardboard variety, keep it cheap.)

Don't both the device running Litchi, which is originating the stream, and the device receiving the stream via Litchi Vue have to be in connected to a common Wi-Fi network?

If so, what's the use, outside residential areas, in open space?

...or does this also run over a host-device generated Wi-Fi hotspot, if it so happens to have the functionality?

Would it not be the same if you used a long(ish) USB lead from the USB out to the VR goggles and just flew visually using the controller

Don't both the device running Litchi, which is originating the stream, and the device receiving the stream via Litchi Vue have to be in connected to a common Wi-Fi network?

If so, what's the use, outside residential areas, in open space?

...or does this also run over a host-device generated Wi-Fi hotspot, if it so happens to have the functionality?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a portable battery will work fine, then. pair the phones to the wifi device.

I happen to use a mifi cellular hotspot and have my phones paired up to it outside the house.

I'm not in front of the app, but is there not an option to have the gimbal angle controlled by the VR goggles, so they even get to control the gimbal angle by looking up and down, that would be really immersive for your nieces?

That's what is outlined here but I feel there are advantages on having two displays.
MK

Even if you dont want to use goggles, pairing up and throwing the video from the Litchi app when your phone is connected to the RC and you have a larger screen (tablet, for instance) for others to see you dont have to be tethered to a location with the larger screen on a tripod and everyone looking over the shoulder.

Think outside the norm for this, there are so many ways this can be useful, especially if you want to share the views the drone sees with others. I found this out by merging a couple ideas I saw online and one is something I will have to do when filming with my crew - Dir has to be able to see the shot, so instead of passing a phone back and forth, he watches the ipad while I use the iPhone to fly.

And if you put kids in this mix, do you really want to tether then with a cable to your RC in case they run off or get scared? The possibility of crashing or damaging the phone or RC is huge if you do it that way, where if there are no cables, there is no pulling the RC away from the pilot.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
I'm not in front of the app, but is there not an option to have the gimbal angle controlled by the VR goggles, so they even get to control the gimbal angle by looking up and down, that would be really immersive for your nieces?

not in front of it either, so I cannot answer that. I know that is possible in the Litchi app itself but I think the Litchi Vue app only mirrors the Litchi app.

Is Litchi Vue only for Apple phones? I don't' see it in the Android Play store.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3