DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VR headset for MM2?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all.
I have taken a look and can't see any exact matches so I will ask this: What headset would you recommend I buy in order to use with my MM2? I believe you need the Google Cardboard app, which I have, but which headsets work, if any, please?

Wow, really?? And the drone has to go in to FPV mode, right?

Re the Drone Mask 2, I read this on another forum.....
SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

This is essentially a box goggle, minus the screen, that uses a magnifying lens. Now this is just my opinion but you would need your bumps feeling if you spent $169 on a Drone Mask. A few years ago Hobbyking sold something very similar for FPV use, but this came with a reasonable screen and a selection of magnifying lenses, and cost about £15, plus another £5 if you wanted it with the fancy neoprene enclosure.

Now that the SDK for the Mini2 and Air2(s) has been made public, a much cheaper and more effective method is to buy the Litchi APP and a regular stereoscopic headset as Litchi supports stereoscopic viewing.

The other benefits of using Litchi are that it’s much smoother than the DJ-Fly APP (or at least it is on my Huawei devices), and it appears to have more customisable options for the controller, meaning you can access more display options while in goggle mode. However I’m a new user of Litchi and need to confirm this.

Do you know why you want goggles for your Mini 2?

If you think that you can get a cool FPV quad like immersive flight feel you will be utterly disappointed sooner or later. And to use the "FPV gimbal mode" will only lock the gimbal roll so the picture leans when you turns... sounds cool but just looks odd & twitchy and nowhere similarly smooth as it should be. Furthermore you can't "dive" down as a real FPV quad under full manual control. This whole experience will very soon be rather meh... & not worth the hassle.

Goggles on a photo drone is good for one thing... to shield out light that makes your screen hard to see. And you could here see a benefit with the goggles for taking stills & videoing... but again you will be disappointed as you will have a really hard time to reach the on screen buttons you need as the screen device is in the goggles.

If you intend to use the goggles for a better more clear view for stills & videoing... the Dronemask is the best alternative even though an expensive one for what it is. This as the latest version let you reach the screen buttons when the phone is in the goggles through neoprene covered "finger ports" & that they uses a single lens so no other app than the DJI FLY is needed... you will see the same weather the phone is in the goggles or attached to the RC.

Reactions: cc_jim and Alan_M
Wow, really?? And the drone has to go in to FPV mode, right?

Re the Drone Mask 2, I read this on another forum.....
SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

This is essentially a box goggle, minus the screen, that uses a magnifying lens. Now this is just my opinion but you would need your bumps feeling if you spent $169 on a Drone Mask. A few years ago Hobbyking sold something very similar for FPV use, but this came with a reasonable screen and a selection of magnifying lenses, and cost about £15, plus another £5 if you wanted it with the fancy neoprene enclosure.

Now that the SDK for the Mini2 and Air2(s) has been made public, a much cheaper and more effective method is to buy the Litchi APP and a regular stereoscopic headset as Litchi supports stereoscopic viewing.

The other benefits of using Litchi are that it’s much smoother than the DJ-Fly APP (or at least it is on my Huawei devices), and it appears to have more customisable options for the controller, meaning you can access more display options while in goggle mode. However I’m a new user of Litchi and need to confirm this.
As Slup said, FPV on a Mini isn't the same as FPV on a freestyle FPV drone.

I had one of the cheap Hobbyking FPV setups a while ago (still got it somewhere actually), and you really do get what you pay for. It's pretty much junk, and wouldn't work with DJI stuff anyway.

Yes, the DroneMask is expensive, but it's well made and usable for more stuff. My brother has an Avata, so i can plug my phone into his goggles and get a "passenger ride" on his FPV flight using the DroneMask. It's also usable for watching videos on my phone.

The downside of cheap phone VR stereoscopic headsets is that they effectively half your screen resolution to show an image to each eye. This is fair enough if you actually have a 3D image to view, but utterly pointless on a drone with only 1 camera. The reduction in image quality is just too much.

Ah, got you. This makes sense. To be honest, just to be able to see my phone screen close up will do for me.
Can't seem to see DM2 available in the UK?

I ordered directly from DroneMask themselves, arrived in a few days with no VAT to pay.

I run the Desktek V5 goggles, $34 bucks on amazon, best ones I have used thus far and have ran through about 5-6 pairs of other brands, These have 110' field of view unlike any others that I have used, I only fly with goggles on so try the deskteks, better than any other goggles I have tried, i run litchi split screen as well, you don't need anything else, no cardboard, anything, just Litchi and the Goggles.

I run the Desktek V5 goggles, $34 bucks on amazon, best ones I have used thus far and have ran through about 5-6 pairs of other brands, These have 110' field of view unlike any others that I have used, I only fly with goggles on so try the deskteks, better than any other goggles I have tried, i run litchi split screen as well, you don't need anything else, no cardboard, anything, just Litchi and the Goggles.
@Hooch33 Thanks for this. I will order shortly. Do I have to use Litchi?

Yup Litchi has the split screen feature that the dji app doesn’t have for fpv, it’s just a way better all around app compared to DJI fly, anyway has all the follow me and waypoint mission stuff too if you use that stuff

Wait....you can use Follow Me with MM2??
You can with Litchi, but it's all done by the app itself, not the drone. Same with waypoints. You can't create a waypoint mission that would take you out of signal range as the app is doing all the flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1