DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Want to test the "need" of ND-filter!

Hello!

So I bought myself some ND-filters. Works, but I really want to make a test vs "Auto", if u know what I mean? What du u suggest for me to do that test? Not just getting the shutter speed down, but how the scene look with/without...?

The only difference ND filters will make on the MP is to its shutter speed (providing you are shooting in bright light), so to see the difference you really need to shoot a scene with movement in the frame. Make sure you slow down your shutter to compensate for the filter, rather than screwing up the gain!

Reactions: Roller1974
Well in that situation you may see a degree of blurring on movement. The effect will be most pleasing on objects moving within your frame, such a vehicle, giving it more of a sense of movement.

With high shutter speeds while shooting at 24 or 30 FPS will give a stop-motion look to things that are closer to the camera while the drone moves through the area. It makes for very jerky and fake-looking motion. For the cinematic "real" or natural motion blur, you want to hit the sweet spot of the shutter speed being 2x faster than the FPS. So, if you are shooting at 24 FPS, you want you shutter speed to be at 1/50 sec. This is assuming ISO 100. The best example would be to take a look and listen to the following. Disregard that the drone is not a mavic, as the video settings are the same from drones to Red's.

Reactions: Late and ArranEye
you dont need to wait for a sunny day. shooting mid-day even will clouds will require an ND to hit those numbers.

Reactions: fredbjor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31