DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wanted: GNSS/GPS Receiver

I see a few Garmin Glo2 GPS/GNSS on ebay for $50 range, $100 new. I velcro mine to my remotes, (my iPads wifi only), for tracking. Also use on my boat for plotting programs on those same iPads. With a small battery pack I can keep both charged for a full days flying or boating.
PS: make sure a used GPS has been maintained or you may be buying a battery soon. If owner claims it's never used, be cautious and ask how often it gets charged. Open box or refurb is another option.

Reactions: rp6
Will the GLO2 present ASL data? What about decimal coordinates? Been pulling 6 digit decimals for rough GCP placement from the drone and curious to know if the GLO2 can produce a higher degree of accuracy.

Will the GLO2 present ASL data? What about decimal coordinates? Been pulling 6 digit decimals for rough GCP placement from the drone and curious to know if the GLO2 can produce a higher degree of accuracy.
Garmin site has all the info you need

I see a few Garmin Glo2 GPS/GNSS on ebay for $50 range, $100 new. I velcro mine to my remotes, (my iPads wifi only), for tracking. Also use on my boat for plotting programs on those same iPads. With a small battery pack I can keep both charged for a full days flying or boating.
PS: make sure a used GPS has been maintained or you may be buying a battery soon. If owner claims it's never used, be cautious and ask how often it gets charged. Open box or refurb is another option.
I did something similar with FliteTest Remote ID module. I found a rechargeable coin battery (LiR2035) and 2-battery case for it, and used a 3D printed case hold the RID broadcast module on the coin battery case. It has an on/off switch, and I get about an hour or more from the 2 fully charged LiR2035 batteries. You use a RID Karen app to track your location, which my iPad 9th Gen runs ok. With it velcro'd, you could move it easily, or swap for whatever reason.

I do not think you understand what he is looking for. He seeks a survey type RTK GNSS unit. It Broadcasts to one of the Enterprise drones precise position information, corrections and time information. Something like this, which is a D-RTK-2 Base, talking to a M3T.
survey.jpg

Reactions: AMann
Sparkfun RTK surveyors are inexpensive and accurate GNSS receivers. I use a pair and they work very well together for putting in GCP’s and are very easy to pair together for use as base and rover, but I don’t know if they will pair with a DJI M3E for RTK. I thought you needed the DJI base for that- does anybody use other makes of GNSS units that are compatible for working as bases for a M3E? And what format does the M3E need for receiving RTK data from a base?

Last edited:
The SparkFun works, but there is kind of a steep learning curve that goes along with it. Emlid units are also inexpensive, even the DJI D-RTK-2 can be had for nearly as cheap as the Sparkfun, but you need to shop around and get it used from many of the boards, eBay and the like. This is an excellent thread to get an idea of what it takes to make a SparkFun unit work with the RTK modules on Enterprise drones.
Alternatives for RTK

The SparkFun works, but there is kind of a steep learning curve that goes along with it. Emlid units are also inexpensive, even the DJI D-RTK-2 can be had for nearly as cheap as the Sparkfun, but you need to shop around and get it used from many of the boards, eBay and the like. This is an excellent thread to get an idea of what it takes to make a SparkFun unit work with the RTK modules on Enterprise drones.
Alternatives for RTK
The tutorial is very informative, it looks doable and yes, you’re right it’s a little complex. But as far as using the Sparkfun units for just as a base and rover, they’re very simple to use - just a matter of setting the two switches and configuration on your iPad or phone. I use SWMaps for mine and that’s pretty straightforward as well.

I was leaning heavily to bite the bullet and get the Sparkfun. I just was fortunate and found a DJI D-RTK-2 unit for a super reasonable price. It is very monkey simple to use.

I was leaning heavily to bite the bullet and get the Sparkfun. I just was fortunate and found a DJI D-RTK-2 unit for a super reasonable price. It is very monkey simple to use.
Nice! For a straight out base only for a RTK- capable drone that is a good choice if you don’t want to mess with the thing. Getting two Sparks made more sense for me as I have just a small budget and only use both of them in base and rover mode for getting GCP’s for maps and also for other mapping work without using the drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian