DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints precision + low altitude

WheelzWorld

Reactions
Is there a trick to be able to get Waypoints lower than 3m high?
This is frustrating... Are other apps than go4 better for such scenarios?

Also is there a way to pimp the mavic so the Waypoints get more precise?
Or should I try to tweak the gains for better stability? (my mavic was super still the first 2 days but seems less stable now... I may be totally tripping but it seems so)

Last edited:
To be clear my goal is to use Waypoints on a path surrounded by trees. (but quite some space between them)

I did some experiments and even while putting many Waypoints to be sure it don't fly into the trees, it actually does sometimes... I got pretty scared quite a few times trying to take control again [emoji27]

I would really like to know if there is a solution, if some settings may be off or if I should just forget about it... [emoji29]

I think you're asking a bit too much out of the gps and barometer accuracy. The altitude is controlled by the barometer and it's not uncommon for the atmospheric pressure to change during flight times which means the measured altitude can change quite a bit during flight. Also when you factor in wind accuracy goes down even more.

The Mavic stability depends on the conditions, if it's windy it will jolt around a bit when it's compensating. You could always check the IMU sensor state in the app to see if you need a calibration.

Ok so let's assume the conditions are the same.

Is there an app that can replicate your exact manœuvres of your joysticks from one flight? You then place the mavic at the exact same starting spot and you get the chance to replicate it automatically!?

This would enable much more precision without using GPS!

Ok so let's assume the conditions are the same.

Is there an app that can replicate your exact manœuvres of your joysticks from one flight? You then place the mavic at the exact same starting spot and you get the chance to replicate it automatically!?

This would enable much more precision without using GPS!
No it wouldn't as lets go to the real world and realise conditions are never the same

3m is pretty good for standalone gps

I don't get it... If you are in a forest on a day there is no wind... You fly it once and want to replicate 5min after...

Does the conditions change that much?? No.... And you fly it thinking of some margin error... So it would definitely be more precise then using GPS!

Replicate joystick manœuvres don't seems that far fetched to me!

Apart from the fact you're relying on gps in the first place...

No... You place the drone yourself at starting point... Where does the GPS is used in that scenario?

Last edited:
Dude, the mavic is gps position hold only, there's no user selectable atti mode. You're just pushing it around the sky

How do you get it to the same start point and bearing each time?

You place it at the exact same direction and place. It could use the pictures it takes at take off on the first run to recalibrate exactly for the second run. So it hovers until you press "go"...

Then it just replicate...

Last edited:
Even if it use GPS at the beginning (I'm not an expert on how it works) it could switch off to replicate. No?

No basically, the only reason you can control it so accurately is the GPS.
If you need to demonstrate this to yourself go buy a £30 hubsan that has no positioning and try and fly the path route. The quad will be up, down left right and totally unpredictable outdoors.

Are you using Litchi or GS? I've found litchi is pretty accurate, usually within 1-2m laterally, but again I don't think I would trust it close to trees.

As I have the care refresh and read somewhere that using 3rd party apps avoid the warranty... I try to avoid that.

What I don't get is that when you use it in standard and fly yourself, you are way more precise than 2m... There must be a way to replicate better than those actual Waypoints...

I currently use GS4 but Is the official dji special app on iPad better or worst than litchi?

Couldn't a new "replicate joystick" app be achievable even with some mix of resetting GPS on start point or else?

Sorry to be so stubborn but I really need to find the best way to be precise...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird