DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weak GPS Signal Warning

nyknba

Reactions
When I launched I was in GPS mode and had 18 gps satellites with full bars. I flew directly over head about 100 feet and received a weak GPS signal warning and it switched to ATTI mode and began drifting while still being connected to the 18 satellites but showing 2 bars. This is the first time this has happened to me. Is this normal since it was showing 18 satellites?

When I launched I was in GPS mode and had 18 gps satellites with full bars. I flew directly over head about 100 feet and received a weak GPS signal warning and it switched to ATTI mode and began drifting while still being connected to the 18 satellites but showing 2 bars. This is the first time this has happened to me. Is this normal since it was showing 18 satellites?
I already had this kind of issue... I had a good GPS signal, but had this warning for a few minutes before signal becomes good again... I guess it's due to the position of satellites... the drone can detect satellites, but their position in the sky cant give the precision needed. All you have to do is waiting a few minutes to enable other satellites to come over you and give you a good GPS signal.
By the way you can download some applications showing you when you will be able to get the best gps signal in your flying aera....or when you shouldnt fly because you will not have a good signal...

I already had this kind of issue... I had a good GPS signal, but had this warning for a few minutes before signal becomes good again... I guess it's due to the position of satellites... the drone can detect satellites, but their position in the sky cant give the precision needed. All you have to do is waiting a few minutes to enable other satellites to come over you and give you a good GPS signal.
By the way you can download some applications showing you when you will be able to get the best gps signal in your flying aera....or when you shouldnt fly because you will not have a good signal...

Thanks. Any apps you suggest?

I think it's pretty clear by now that when the Mavic changes do ATTI Mode, while still receiving GPS data, it is because it can't tell it's direction properly. It's not a "lost GPS" case so much as a "lost compass readings" problem. When it can't tell the way it's pointing at, it ignores the GPS data and switches to ATTI mode.
If you have 18+ sattelites, but fly in a high interference location, you'll still get the ATTI mode issue.

Reactions: nyknba
I experienced this recently but also got a compass error message. Returned and landed, calibrated compass, moved to a different location and flew just fine.

One GPS app is "GPS Test"

Reactions: nyknba
I have had this on two successive flights. Both with open skies all around and with in the last case 18 satellites at the point of error in the flight. This was about 310ft high, not quite above me with the antennas not quite vertical. It gave me quite a start, I can tell you. Neither my P4 nor MavAir has ever shown any error of this sort. (I was using my iPad mini4 so no GPS available at the controller) This took place at an isolated spot on the Scottish East coast called Fife Ness. About 8 miles South of Saint Andrews.
It didn’t last too long. When I realised where it was relative to me I flattened the antennas. Whether this was what restored normality from the glitch I can’t say.
The previous flight a few days previously also took place at height, less so, at 288ft and maybe 200yards distance. In open country, East of Cupar, Fife, Scotland.
Compass error was reported with GPS signal loss when at that moment 20 satellites were recorded. Also didn’t last too long, I’m guessing 5-10seconds or thereabouts.
At both the above, start up reports were entirely normal with zero compass cal. needed. Sudden loss of GPS means it defaults to ATTI mode and you’re at the mercy of whatever wind might be causing massive drift, more likely if flying in the upper layers we have legal access to.
And panicking can lead to added problems if this happens at a distance when LOS isn’t “completely reliable” it’s not too much of a stretch to imagine a lost drone resulting.
I’m seeing this sort of related issue reported variously, is this something entirely due to antenna orientation or is there an issue with a batch of Mavics? Mine is a new purchase less than 2 months old, from Amazon UK.

Hi
same problem and it always seems to be compass 2.
Calibration always fails.
Any fixes?

Weak HPS has nothing to do with your controller . The drone picks up the gps signal not the controller . A weak signal between the drone and controller can be from distance and antenna orientation on the controller . I have gotten weak GPS signal and have been out in a remote spot and clear skies and the drone above treeline . It must be firmware or hardware gremlins doing this . Maybe the drone is changing the priority of the satellites it is looking at .

I know others have complained about this but I don't see any recent posts. When I use my iPhone or iPad attached to the controller of Mavic 2 Pro then try to reset "home" as where the controller is, I get the "weak GPS signal" warning. It's been a couple years since this bug was identified. Any solution? As a newbie, I'm astounded that the controller doesn't have it's own GPS chip but instead relies on interfacing with a phone app. IMO there should definitely be a "Come to Controller" button on the remote as well as "Return to launch site" button.

I know others have complained about this but I don't see any recent posts. When I use my iPhone or iPad attached to the controller of Mavic 2 Pro then try to reset "home" as where the controller is, I get the "weak GPS signal" warning. It's been a couple years since this bug was identified. Any solution? As a newbie, I'm astounded that the controller doesn't have it's own GPS chip but instead relies on interfacing with a phone app. IMO there should definitely be a "Come to Controller" button on the remote as well as "Return to launch site" button.
It's a commonly reported problem with Apple phones and tablets and no fix has been found, unless you want to buy a separate bluetooth GPS device to provide GPS data that the app can use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralph.smith.mckenzie@gmai