DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Do You Do with Your Unedited Video.

I understand that all brands can fail at some point. However, one failure, I can accept that from any brand. 2 failures from the same brand, I no longer have much trust. Fail me three times, I will never buy that brand again. All my WD drives are still going strong, never had a single one fail, so I am influenced by what has happened to me.

It would be interesting to take a pole here and see how many have had Seagate's fail and how many failure have come from any other brands. I'd be happy to start off by stating I have now had 4 Seagates fail but not a single failure from my other three brands.

Last edited:
I understand that all brands can fail at some point. However, one failure, I can accept that from any brand. 2 failures from the same brand, I no longer have much trust. Fail me three times, I will never buy that brand again. All my WD drives are still going strong, never had a single one fail, so I am influenced by what has happened to me.

It would be interesting to take a pole here and see how many have had Seagate's fail and how many failure have come from any other brands. I'd be happy to start off by stating I have now had 4 Seagates fail but not a single failure from my other three brands.

You don't need to make a poll, Backblaze have already done it for you:

2018 Hard Drive Reliability Stats by Manufacturer and Model

With vastly more drives than the entire community here, Toshiba had the highest failure rate followed by Western Digital. The most reliable drive amongst the thousands of drives was a Seagate model.

However none of this matters, firstly the least reliable drive only had a 3% failure rate which is still very low. There have been certain specific drive models in the past which had high failure rates and were certainly to be avoided but that isn't the case for current drives.

The second and much more important point is that any hard drive can fail at any time and you should never trust any drive. I've worked with thousands of hard drives over the years and I've seen every brand fail many times, some fail out of the box, some don't even last the first month and some have been running 24/7 for nearly 20 years now. Hard drives are complex mechanical and electronic devices, the fallacy with your post is that because you believe Western Digital hard drives are more reliable then you're more likely to trust them and less likely to ensure you back it up regularly.

That's why I say it doesn't matter the brand, you should treat any drive as if it could fail tomorrow and make sure the data you want to keep is backed up. I hate dealing with hard drive failures and telling people sorry their data is all gone and their only option is to spend thousands to possibly get some of the data back.

Thanks for the info, However, you are making major assumptions here. Where did you read that I said I trust WD and do not make a backup, because of my trust in WD??

I don't trust any drive 100% but, from now on, I will always trust a WD over a Seagate, simply because of the "once bitten twice shy" rule. I have things backed up in three places. In the past I had things backed up in three places too, but all three were Seagates and all three failed within months of each other. But they began to act up before the total failure. That means they still looked fine but sometimes I could not open some, or any files, on them from time to time. Then when I wanted to backup what I could still access on a different drive, the problems continued and that is why data was lost.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ITV