DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What exactly is VLOS?

Huckleberry

Reactions
Just thought of something. Wanting to plays devils advocate I guess you could say.

What exactly does the FAA identify as VLOS?

As far as you can see with a naked eye, or would using a pair of binoculars still be considered VLOS?

Apologies if this topic has been touched on before. It was just something I thought of as I was pondering the purpose of these UAVs being able to go 3-5 miles. No way a naked eye sees one at that range.

ETA:

Disregard. Just came across an old thread.

Reactions: mereflyer
Just thought of something. Wanting to plays devils advocate I guess you could say.

As far as you can see with a naked eye, or would using a pair of binoculars still be considered VLOS?

Apologies if this topic has been touched on before. It was just something I thought of as I was pondering the purpose of these UAVs being able to go 3-5 miles. No way a naked eye sees one at that range.

ETA:

Disregard. Just came across an old thread.

Im just replying as there are some mistakes in that other thread you linked for US rules. The FAA states that VLOS means in direct view of the pilot with unaided eyes (prescription eyeglasses are ok, but not binoculars or telescopes, etc.) or in direct view of a spotter standing nearby the pilot - you are not allowed to use radios for the spotter to report to the pilot in charge, it must be direct verbal communications between them and the pilot. One good reason for allowing the drone to have such good range beyond VLOS is that it would more easily be controlled nearby in a environment full of radio interference, and can be controlled through obstacles in the signal path such as trees, etc.

As has been discussed in numerous threads adding lights, I prefer the ARC2, will help with orientation of the drone and at least triple bright day VLOS visibility distance. Agree with @AMann above the possible distance is due to signal strength to overcome interference

Reactions: AMann
The person operating the drone is required to maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) with the drone throughout the entire flight. That means you should be able to see your drone with vision that is unaided by any device other than glasses or contacts.

The FAA also allows a visual observer (VO) to maintain VLOS. The VO must be near the operator and be able to communicate verbally without the assistance of an electronic device. Using a VO generally is optional, but a VO is required if the operator is wearing FPV glasses/goggles that make it impossible to maintain VLOS.

Section 107.31 defines VLOS as follows:

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
  1. Know the unmanned aircraft's location;
  2. Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
  3. Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
  4. Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.
(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:
  1. The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
  2. A visual observer.

Reactions: BigAl07
I think a lot of people have their heads stuck in their screens during much of their flight. I figure it's OK to read your aircraft's stats by looking down at the screen once and a while however it is almost impossible to capture a photographic target by using VLOS only to do so. I could be wrong but doesn't it seem like I'd be out of compliance (by having no spotter) if I'm spending more time on the monitor that looking in the sky for my quad? How do people who fly alone deal with this because I'd be very suspicious if every lone pilot claimed they keep their aircraft in visual view while ignoring their screens.

Any reasonable person would agree that there is a big difference between a drone operator taking occasional glances at the RC screen and then re-acquiring VLOS, and someone who deliberately sends a drone 3-5 miles out with no intention of maintaining VLOS.
That's how I've been flying my drone...more so w/ VLOS because I'm such a newbie, plus the fact that I freak out if I don't see it if I momentarily look down at the screen then when I look back to find the drone and don't see it right away! I"m SOOO glad there's the RTH button! LOL

Reactions: mereflyer
I am buying some white blinking strobes for the rear bars for my flying cam. One, so I can fly farther and still have visual line of site. And, second is that other aircraft in the area can see me as well, in the event I don't hear or see them to bring my bird down fast enough. Even at 400 feet, I have had small engine planes that have surprised me, and helicopters as well.

Reactions: deleted member 877
It says you must be able to see, not that you must be continuously watching the drone.
That good because I look at my MP during takeoff and from that point on I rarely look at it. I keep strobes on to make it easier to find if I need to for some reason but mainly fly watching my video and stats.

Reactions: GGehret
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.