DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What if Airport Operator and ATC don't Answer?

JustViewerFun

Reactions
The other day, I wanted to fly my drone at a spot that was just at the edge of the 5-mile radius from a local airport, so first I called the airport operator. They were closed - apparently they are only open from 8AM-5PM Monday through Friday. Then, I called the ATC tower. All I got was an automated answering machine. The airport doesn't take digital notices, and it runs all day, every day. In the past, I've been able to talk to someone at the airport, but I have never gotten through to anybody at the ATC tower - I have only been able to leave a message.

What do you think of this? I couldn't find anything in the FAA rules that covered this kind of situation.

I'm just amazed that someone actually really tried to call an airport operator....How responsible of you ;)

I'm just amazed that someone actually really tried to call an airport operator....How responsible of you ;)

Really?? It was the only number I could get through Airmap. It was the easiest thing to do. I didn't have the ATC number until I talked to the airport operator in a prior attempt.

The way I understand it, you're supposed to let them know, and leaving them a voice mail counts as letting them know. Unless you're refused (and you can't very well be, if they're not there to pick up) you can consider yourself able to fly, keeping in mind to stay as cautious as you clearly are for calling them.

At least, that's what the Wheeling, IL Executive Airport guy I called on his voicemail said when he called me back. And happy news for you: I fly at the exact 5-mile point away from that airport, so maybe we're in a similar situation.

My message told him what times I'd be flying, around what street address as a launch point, and how high I'd go, max. And that checks all the boxes, according to the way I understand things.

Yeah, the most important thing you can do is leave a contact number, in case they get your message just as a 777 is declaring an emergency and needs to fly at 200 feet for some reason, that sort of thing.

Yeah, the most important thing you can do is leave a contact number, in case they get your message just as a 777 is declaring an emergency and needs to fly at 200 feet for some reason, that sort of thing.

i've only called a few, but none have ever requested my contact info....which i thought was odd.

The way I understand it, you're supposed to let them know, and leaving them a voice mail counts as letting them know. Unless you're refused (and you can't very well be, if they're not there to pick up) you can consider yourself able to fly, keeping in mind to stay as cautious as you clearly are for calling them.

At least, that's what the Wheeling, IL Executive Airport guy I called on his voicemail said when he called me back. And happy news for you: I fly at the exact 5-mile point away from that airport, so maybe we're in a similar situation.

My message told him what times I'd be flying, around what street address as a launch point, and how high I'd go, max. And that checks all the boxes, according to the way I understand things.
Thanks for the response. That's kinda what I've been thinking, but I wasn't sure. I guess I'll have to call the local airport operator and ask him about that to be sure.

The last time I called the airport near me, they told me unless I was going to be flying over 400 ft AGL, don't bother calling them. The guy laughed and said that if anyone hit my drone at 300 ft, they were in way more trouble than me.

The last time I called the airport near me, they told me unless I was going to be flying over 400 ft AGL, don't bother calling them. The guy laughed and said that if anyone hit my drone at 300 ft, they were in way more trouble than me.
Ha ha ha! That's awesome! I was actually wondering about that.

I mean what's the point most of the time? Manned aircraft, as I understand it isn't supposed to fly lower than 500 (except when taking off and landing). If we aren't allowed over 400 ft, then there should always be a 100 ft margin between our ceiling and their floor. Calling the ATC seems kind of pointless anyway. I suspect they just note it - if anything - and move on. They probably don't mark it on their charts or notify other aircraft either in or approaching the area, that we called. And furthermore, at least for me, most of my flights are below or just above tree level. If I have to call for all those times because I'm worried that some manned aircraft is going to collide with my drone, then I've got much bigger worries - and so do the people in that aircraft.

So along with some of you, I live within the five mile radius of not one but two airports. They are both small airports that I don’t know the last time I’ve seen a plane even in the hangar. I have tried contacting them about times I can fly (because I live there I don’t want to have to contact them every time I want to fly). I have not had answers but have left voicemails asking for a call back that have not been answered. I was wondering if I am allowed to leave voicemails saying I am a permanent resident and where I will be flying or if I have to leave a voicemail every time I want to fly. Thanks.

From what I've read here on the forums and to the best of my understanding you are supposed to call every time you want to fly unless a permanent arrangement is made with the airport. In your situation, if you are going to be flying from the same location every time, I would leave a message stating your name, phone number, your address, and a statement that you fly often from the same location and will observe the 400ft ceiling. Since no one is answering or returning your calls, that pretty well covers your intent without having to make a call every single time.

Reactions: Bytored

Exactly! I’m .8 tenths of a mile out of airport radius. But i still called airport and local people said probably shouldn’t fly. Called a tower in Seattle and talked with a guy that was to busy to actually take one min and talk about it. Said he would call back, he never did.
I am flying in a canyon and thought the same thing about if my drone is going to be hit by a airplane they have much bigger problems.
On another note I do get helicopters just passing through flying below 400ft AGL which actually I’m pretty sure they are in violation.

From what I've read here on the forums and to the best of my understanding you are supposed to call every time you want to fly unless a permanent arrangement is made with the airport. In your situation, if you are going to be flying from the same location every time, I would leave a message stating your name, phone number, your address, and a statement that you fly often from the same location and will observe the 400ft ceiling. Since no one is answering or returning your calls, that pretty well covers your intent without having to make a call every single time.

Thanks so much for your response. That’s what I was planning on doing but I just wanted someone else’s input.

I see I'm a bit late to the party. I honestly think the calling ATC rule is only intended to add a layer of accountability to those flying a UAV. If, for example, someone were to assault another with their Mavic (complete hypothetical), whether or not they called the airport could be held over their head in the future. And, perhaps, if a drone were to break the rules and fly at 3000 feet AGL, if someone just called and said they were going to fly over the general area, they would be able to select a prime suspect. In all honestly, I don't think it's terribly effective. If someone is going to ignore the altitude rule or assault people with their drone, I don't think they would be too excited to call the airport and tell them what they are doing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair