DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is causing props to come flying off?

rockstar180

Reactions
I've noticed that the past few threads of people having their mavic crash has been the result of a prop coming off mid flight. What is causing this to happen more often? I'll be honest, I don't check my props before every flight. But I would think you wouldn't have to unless you had a previous crash.

What is causing this to happen more often?
It's really not a common problem.

Don't want it to happen to you? Carefully inspect your props for damage and ensure they are properly secured prior to each flight.

As the props are the only thing keeping your Mavic in the air making sure they're secure is a basic check that should be carried out before every flight, a bit like checking your car for fuel before you go anywhere.

Mavic props are touchy to put on. Push down
smartly and make sure their in place. I also
fly an Inspire and those props go on much easier.
Good luck!

Reactions: CEDRIXXX
"What is causing this to happen more often?" Simple: Lots more Mavics in the sky these days. It's not a threat if you check your props each flight and inspect them closely occasionally. I use a magnifying lens and closely look at the prop hub about once a month, looking for any signs of stress fractures. I NEVER take my props off either. That's just asking for trouble.

props that are coming off these drones is nothing but pilot air. I have never had to remove my props ones from my MP. My Inspire props are foldable they don’t get removed.

As the props are the only thing keeping your Mavic in the air making sure they're secure is a basic check that should be carried out before every flight, a bit like checking your car for fuel before you go anywhere.

I'd say a bit like checking if the wheels are bolted on to your car. checking for fuel would be equivalent checking the charge on the mavic's battery.

Mavic props are touchy to put on. Push down
smartly and make sure their in place. I also
fly an Inspire and those props go on much easier.
Good luck!

off topic, I'm thinking of getting an Inspire some day. Does it fly very well in 10-15 mph winds? That's our average daily wind speed around here and I get wind warnings on the Mavic all the time, so I'm trying to stick to 5-7 mph wind flying, which is rare. Maybe shoulda gone with the phantom 4 given the local wind conditions.

"What is causing this to happen more often?" Simple: Lots more Mavics in the sky these days. It's not a threat if you check your props each flight and inspect them closely occasionally. I use a magnifying lens and closely look at the prop hub about once a month, looking for any signs of stress fractures. I NEVER take my props off either. That's just asking for trouble.

I take my props off after every flight, as I believe the constant pressure on the springs wears the springs out. 14 years later, my car seems to sit lower as the springs wore out. I do agree though, I double and sometimes triple check all props before a flight by holding the motor and trying to move the prop.

Reactions: MAVA4
off topic, I'm thinking of getting an Inspire some day. Does it fly very well in 10-15 mph winds? That's our average daily wind speed around here and I get wind warnings on the Mavic all the time, so I'm trying to stick to 5-7 mph wind flying, which is rare. Maybe shoulda gone with the phantom 4 given the local wind conditions.
The inspire will handle 15 mile an hour winds like nothing. I fly the inspire most of the time it will do over 65 mph. I fly my MP in 15 mile an hour winds without a problem in sport mode.

Reactions: MAVA4
The inspire will handle 15 mile an hour winds like nothing. I fly the inspire most of the time it will do over 65 mph. I fly my MP in 15 mile an hour winds without a problem in sport mode.

hmm, DJI site says 94kmh per hour for Inspire 2, that's 58mph. Maybe with a tail wind you get to 65 mph. I try to avoid flying the MP in over 10mph winds, as I fly beyond VLOS and have to sometimes get up to 400 ft for a better signal, and the winds up there usually get a lot stronger. Yes, sport mode is your friend in winds.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
hmm, DJI site says 94kmh per hour for Inspire 2, that's 58mph. Maybe with a tail wind you get to 65 mph. I try to avoid flying the MP in over 10mph winds, as I fly beyond VLOS and have to sometimes get up to 400 ft for a better signal, and the winds up there usually get a lot stronger. Yes, sport mode is your friend in winds.
That is with the tailwind. I try to avoid anything over 15 mile an hour winds with the MP.

I take my props off after every flight, as I believe the constant pressure on the springs wears the springs out. 14 years later, my car seems to sit lower as the springs wore out. I do agree though, I double and sometimes triple check all props before a flight by holding the motor and trying to move the prop.
I can appreciate that. However, you won't own your mavic pro long enough to wear those springs down. As a matter of fact, there is very little compression on those springs with the props mounted an "popped" in to place. They compress WHEN you take the props on and off.

Knock on wood, I've not had any incidents, but I have noticed that one prop does not snap/lock into place as solidly as the other three. I tried the supplied extra prop that came with the MP, it doesn't snap/lock as solid either, but it is locked in. On the other three, you can hear the audible snap as it locks, on the last, you can just feel it lock with your fingers.

I'd say a bit like checking if the wheels are bolted on to your car. checking for fuel would be equivalent checking the charge on the mavic's battery.
I wouldn't argue with that. Still, it's one of several basic checks it's prudent to carry out before flying to prevent one of those 'where has my Mavic gone?' moments

What causes them to come off?

Not putting them on properly!

Put then on, keep them on, check them before you take off, easy!

I think every thread I've seen about it coming off has had to do with someone that took off the props prior. Before you fly, grab each prop and try to twist it off. You'll find out very quickly if your props are installed properly.
As for worries about the springs wearing out, you can order them. They're under $3 for a pair, including the base.

I am in the inspect but don't remove camp. I think constantly removing and putting back is a greater risk than leaving them on and inspecting regularly. At least one crash due to lost prop was apparently from not putting it on properly right before flight.

Mike

Reactions: ICHOTT and SxSmith
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos