DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the lowest you have gone?

So I was able to get lower and prove that the 500m/1640' limit does not apply when you go to negative flight altitude.
Here is a Hanger 360 from above the low point:
Hangar 360 Photo

And here is the low point I got to:
View attachment 14138

Different waterfall from the last one, but the same launch point. I merely went further down canyon so I could achieve a lower altitude with relationship to my launch point.

Also, some one had asked about my antenna position. When I had the antenna straight OUT(parallel with the controller) I found that I had worse signal than when the antennae were straight UP (or perpendicular to the controller). In my opinion, since the antennae are omni directional, when I have them straight OUT the signal goes up/down and slightly forward/backward, but when they are straight UP the signal goes forward/backward and slightly up/down. So even thought my bird is in a deep canyon, since I am so close to the edge of the canyon, the UP position for the controller antennae works the best. This is purely anecdotal and I am sure other have more insight.

So has anyone else pushed the negative altitude limits?!?!

Glad to see the transmitter reception is still quite good at that much negative altitude.

Glad to see the transmitter reception is still quite good at that much negative altitude.

In this image I had direct LOS with the bird so the signal stayed great. If you look at my first image you will see my signal is much less and that's because I was about 1000' back from the edge of the canyon. Still got pretty good distance from that one though.

What I am wondering is what would happen here if a RTH is initiated? Does the MP climb out of the hole to the set point above Home or what?

What I am wondering is what would happen here if a RTH is initiated? Does the MP climb out of the hole to the set point above Home or what?

I have thought about that myself and I believe that it would ascend to 0 elevation and then ascend to my preset RTH elevation which is 400'. However this is not an experiment I am willing to try!

If the **** hits the fan one day and I find out the answer I will make sure to post and let everyone know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ron_Dog
So I went low again tonight but didn't beat my record from the last flight of -1700'. But on another battery I flew over to an unused fire watch tower across the canyon from my launch point and noticed something irregular. Look at my VPS altitude in this screen shot:

8cde4a21132efcbc6b385df6e1d78235.jpg

It shows my VPS altitude as 10k+'! This was a normal-ish flight reading because as I went up and down in altitude, this 10k' reading registered each foot. Very weird.

Otherwise, I had 3 good flights, just no negative altitude records.

Anyone else beat -1700'?
There is no VPS altitude displayed in your screenshot. The D value of 10928 is the total distance flown, and the value of 10925 next to the icon of a person and a drone at the bottom right is the current distance between the aircraft and the recorded Home Point. A VPS value will only be displayed if it is within a VPS measurable distance of under 10m.

Last edited:
Well thanks for another thread to clean up guys .
Lets keep this On Topic and leave the trashy and
political remarks to yourself 's .
Thanks

Reactions: HVYMTL

So I actually tested this yesterday despite what I said earlier. I went to a new spot and flew down to a river that was about 200' below me. It was a wide and flat canyon so I took a leap of faith at -195' and hit the RTH button (for the first ever as a matter of fact). Then it flew straight up to my set level of 400' and made a beeline straight for me. So I am now convinced that short of an error, the bird will RTH as it should.

And Mod, while I thought some of the comments were funny, thanks for cleaning things up!

Reactions: raymo
Off subject a tad: how are guys getting those screenshots? The function buttons on my are partially covered by the Mobile device clamp.

Off subject a tad: how are guys getting those screenshots? The function buttons on my are partially covered by the Mobile device clamp.

Can you show a pic of this ?

You have also a button (right) to take a picture.

Not sure to understand you

Can you show a pic of this ?

You have also a button (right) to take a picture.

Not sure to understand you

To take a screen shot I have to hold down the home key & right side power / sleep button. The home key is usually blocked by remote clamp.

Why not taking screenshots of your video after the fly ? What I show you is picture. Not screenshot

Btw some are screenshots from the flight record

EDIT : ok know what you mean now ! With a different mount you don't have the home button issue anymore !

Reactions: The Angry Prepper
Why not taking screenshots of your video after the fly ? What I show you is picture. Not screenshot

Btw some are screenshots from the flight record

EDIT : ok know what you mean now ! With a different mount you don't have the home button issue anymore !

Got it!

I still use the stock controller and clamp with my stock iPhone method for the screen shot. The clamp obscures the home button slightly but I can still get enough of my finger in there for the button press to register.

CamoGreg, that is a stunning photo of the sea cave, great color in it!

I still use the stock controller and clamp with my stock iPhone method for the screen shot. The clamp obscures the home button slightly but I can still get enough of my finger in there for the button press to register.

CamoGreg, that is a stunning photo of the sea cave, great color in it!

Thanks [emoji6]

To take a screen shot I have to hold down the home key & right side power / sleep button. The home key is usually blocked by remote clamp.

If you use an iphone you can activate a floating "virtual Home button" on your screen if you prefere. (settings>general>accessibility>assistivetouch>enable)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga