DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 What is worse here post-production OR cuts ?

What is worse here post-production OR cuts ?

• post-production

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Please explain more about this question. Cuts in video are part of post production.

Looks good to me. No jump cuts. Every cut brings a new perspective. Flying is smooth and interesting. I might have color graded for a little more "pop", but that's just a look that I personally like. Very much enjoyed the video.

Reactions: fate
so i meant scenes / filming while flying technique OR post production / pc work - where should i focus to improve first?
Ah, that’s very helpful. I think of a cut as an editing transition between clips.

I like these low-altitude shots!

My suggestion would be to fly whenever you can, working on a variety of shot types, and work on your editing skills whenever you can’t fly.

Here’s a good review of different shot types:

Reactions: adrocor
thank you for answers, ill train both, but still the question is what should i focus in first place?
Without trying (too hard...) to offend, it's a silly question. You should focus on both. But the real thing to focus on is refining what you're trying to say with your video. In other words, your videos should have a purpose, whether to show your flying skills, show someone an interesting location, teach something, and so on.

The biggest problem I see on this board is that many of the videos seem purposeless, or worse, a mish-mash of ideas. Many are a travelogue style, without telling us what we're viewing, which can be frustrating.

Without trying (too hard...) to offend, it's a silly question. You should focus on both. But the real thing to focus on is refining what you're trying to say with your video. In other words, your videos should have a purpose, whether to show your flying skills, show someone an interesting location, teach something, and so on.

The biggest problem I see on this board is that many of the videos seem purposeless, or worse, a mish-mash of ideas. Many are a travelogue style, without telling us what we're viewing, which can be frustrating.
i know both but what is wrong to prioritize :) i have my opinion but want to listen the audience
The purpose of presented vid was to enjoy some motion of Polish nature / plains, was it visible for you?

In your case are you thinking about a purpose while recording or in post-production stage?

i know both but what is wrong to prioritize :) i have my opinion but want to listen the audience
The purpose of presented vid was to enjoy some motion of Polish nature / plains, was it visible for you?
It was a good sample of nature, but it might be even better with a title telling us where and what. Others may disagree?
In your case are you thinking about a purpose while recording or in post-production stage?
Either and both? Sometimes we fly just because we can, so you might develop a theme in post production. Other times we set out with a purpose in mind, such as showcasing fall colors. Then both recording and post are part of the process. Note too that the purpose or theme doesn't need to be static - it can evolve as you record or in post.
In some ways, a video is like a written paragraph, a letter or a story - we write with something in mind, don't we? Our videos should be the same.

Make sense?

Nice video. I prefer fades to cuts, but there’s a place for both. Fades take longer to edit since they aren’t done in-camera. Maybe try some fades with the next one and see how it looks.

• Love
Nice video. I prefer fades to cuts, but there’s a place for both. Fades take longer to edit since they aren’t done in-camera. Maybe try some fades with the next one and see how it looks.
I'd be wary of this advice. If you look at professional video productions, fades are used very sparingly, and for specific reasons, often to show a significant time transition.
Some of the worst videos I've seen on these boards are from folks that use complex fades, probably because their video editor offers them, so why not. And the answer is because they can be very distracting to viewers.

Maybe bmcelya can post an example of what (s)he is thinking?

Fades and cuts are commonly used in video production. Watch the evening news to see both. Drone video editing is no different than network tv. The tools are generally the same. Like I said, it was a nice video.

Fades and cuts are commonly used in video production. Watch the evening news to see both. Drone video editing is no different than network tv. The tools are generally the same. Like I said, it was a nice video.
On this we agree, but evening news isn't the best example of quality editing. Take a look at a Netflix documentary, or a Planet Earth production to see examples of editing to tell a story, and then tell me how often they used fades or other more complex transitions versus jump cuts (all of which are forms of scene transitions, BTW).
And, as I asked already, why not post, or link to and example of something you like that has lots of fades? Maybe I'm wrong in my comments?

I gave an example that everyone is familiar with. That will be it for me on the subject. Have fun flying, have fun editing.

You didn't do anything wrong in either. The only criticism that I have is that would have liked to have seen more unique points of interest/scenes. I know how difficult it can be when flying in a situation with limited variation of scenery. What you might have done is add some additional persepctives, a top-down shot, a reveal shot, perhaps a dronie and other filiming elements that would have added interest and eliminated reduncancy. I liked what you did in the woods and think there is much more there and felt that it might have been one of your best clips, but an orphan. JMO

The only issue I had with the editing is that the cuts didn't really work with the music well...they just happened, and had music as a background track, as opposed to working the music into the feel of the video. Otherwise, I thought it was nice.

I'd be wary of this advice. If you look at professional video productions, fades are used very sparingly, and for specific reasons, often to show a significant time transition.
Some of the worst videos I've seen on these boards are from folks that use complex fades, probably because their video editor offers them, so why not. And the answer is because they can be very distracting to viewers.

Maybe bmcelya can post an example of what (s)he is thinking?
i agree, i itentionally did not use them, but it is time to listen folks what are more often opinions,
thx all for replies

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980