DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What the ---- happened

marnat3

Reactions
So I bought a Air 2 in Feb this year, registered the RID in my name, set it up and have flown multiple times. Today I went to check for updates and find the machine is coming up bound to the previous owner. Not sure whats going on here. It connects under my Fly app and my device management but under the previous email. My Mini 2 is under mine but don't know how this could have occurred.

FYI, RID registration is not the same as account binding (to the previous owner) using the DJI account.

I believe the solution to your issue involves reaching out to the previous owner and having them logoff the account and unbind the drone and you're good to go.

Ok. I know they are different. Is there a way to get the full email address? Part of it has been blocked out. I am 99% sure I did all the steps to get it under my name. I have done it with all my previous drones.

Ok. I know they are different. Is there a way to get the full email address? Part of it has been blocked out. I am 99% sure I did all the steps to get it under my name. I have done it with all my previous drones.
There is no way to get that email address. Even DJI won't give it to you. However, DJI will reach out to the email address on your behalf and ask the person on the other end of that email to unbind.

Reactions: careless
Will have to try that. Just seems odd to come up under my devices and been able to fly under my account but not be registered to me.

Reactions: BtMan
Isn’t this one of those that will fly four or five times via previous owner account then lock down? Hard for my little brain to remember these issues.

😟I HOPE NOT!! I had not heard that before. I have flown it a few times already but if that's the case I am grounded until this gets resolved.

FYI, RID registration is not the same as account binding (to the previous owner) using the DJI account.

I believe the solution to your issue involves reaching out to the previous owner and having them logoff the account and unbind the drone and you're good to go.
I am going to take the opportunity of this thread to ask you, exactly what steps does one take to unbind a drone? Can you spell it out step by step...like"Unbinding a Drone for Dummies."

I am going to take the opportunity of this thread to ask you, exactly what steps does one take to unbind a drone? Can you spell it out step by step...like"Unbinding a Drone for Dummies."
I've never had it happen to me so I can't tell you the exact steps but I recall this topic coming up previously in a few other thread so this might be helpful:

This will remove the drone from your account.
Fly/profile/device management/"drone"/Remove From Account(in red)
ONLY THE LOGGED IN ACCOUNT CAN PERFORM THIS.
To unbind Care Refresh/Flyaway binding from the controller, if you want to use a different controller for instance, just link the drone to the new controller and follow the directions that appear.

Hmmm...this problem seems to me like a reason why buying a used drone may not be the best option....

Ive bought used every time, never had a problem. When I got the Air 2 I traded a Mavic pro 1 and they even asked me if I had unregistered it. Thats why I never questioned it and thought i was good to go. I am still sure I put the A2 under my name but think it did not take on DJIs end. Still waiting.

Reactions: Hermey
Ive bought used every time, never had a problem. When I got the Air 2 I traded a Mavic pro 1 and they even asked me if I had unregistered it. Thats why I never questioned it and thought i was good to go. I am still sure I put the A2 under my name but think it did not take on DJIs end. Still waiting.
Good to know that you've had no problem with several purchases of used drones!

Huzzah and Happy days!!! After contacting DJI and the Pawn Shop and a lot of amature detective work on my own.. the Air 2 is MINE!~!!!! The previous owner had switched from Apple to Android and no longer had access to his bound account, and after multiple 45 min trips to the pawn shop over a couple of days, we all got on the dji site and got it figured out. Succsess but I will make sure any drone I get in the future is unbound. It worked but not sure the hassle was worth it.

Reactions: mavic3usa and Starz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty