DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to do if i buy a Mavic pro in a month from now ?

Rz350

Reactions
Hello everyone , first post.
I will be quick.
If I buy a Mavic Pro in one month or so, what are the steps to follow to avoid getting the new firmware and have a version of the app DJI go4 that will not force me to immediately upgrade the firmware to the version that is causing a lot of discussion at the moment.
Also do I need DJI go4 or I can fly with the remote and the Samsung S5 as screen and use litchi instead?
Can I go up and down the versions of the app ( DJIgo4 ) or is it a one way street: once installed a version the only possible way to go is ahead?
I have been reading most of this thread: I created a VM so we can all forever downgrade to 400 and found it very interesting ; I would be inclined to install .400 and fly with whatever app allows me to do it with said FW.
Thanks to adiru and vk2fro for their work on that thread.
Blue skies

Now if you had asked this yesterday I'd have told you to install the app now before the new one is released. But...

I don't really think there's anything to worry about. We're all just being paranoid about being stopped from flying illegally. The new version of the app just makes us more tracable if we choose to break the rules. I can think of a simple solution to that.

Reactions: knownbug
Honestly if you are that worried buy a different Drone.
Hi Michael, thanks for your answer.
I have a drone that I built 2 years ago and it is based on apm 2.5 , i won't bore you with the details but the mavic looks great : it is a very polished package . The thing i do not want to get stuck with is buying something but having the seller deciding for me that a certain firmware is better than another, no matter what I think.
Your answer however brings an owner perspective to my question, and ultimately that was what I was after.
Cheers

Hi Michael, thanks for your answer.
I have a drone that I built 2 years ago and it is based on apm 2.5 , i won't bore you with the details but the mavic looks great : it is a very polished package . The thing i do not want to get stuck with is buying something but having the seller deciding for me that a certain firmware is better than another, no matter what I think.
Your answer however brings an owner perspective to my question, and ultimately that was what I was after.
Cheers

Great! Needed to hear it from outside? No self opinion, but easily convincible...

Thanks, my reply was short because I couldn't really think of a way to expand it properly at the time.
I bought the Mavic as a Photo/ video platform as a hobby more than professional career.
It ticks the boxs for my use as I am not interested in speed height distance etc. would not envisage flying much more than 1 kilo distance, 100 metres high is more than enough for my purposes.
Since I purchased it I have updated all FW SW with absolutely no degradation in performance. The NFZ are not an issue with me personally. I have contacted a local airport to ask permission and been refused so have not attempted flight in that area. I am looking at getting alicence in Australia when I can afford it, just retired. Maybe just to have a better chance to gain access to certain areas.
If you read all the posts here there is a lot of conjecture, hype, misinformation,conspiracy theories add nauseam.
If you buy the Mavic with whatever it is loaded with it will function well. I put all this in the same box as Apple, Windows 10 which seems to update every time I switch the Comp on.
Today's society seems to want change faster and faster. Buy a new model and two months later it is out of date and a new improved one comes along.
In conclusion, in my own personal opinion The Mavic is ideal for me, does what is advertised and DJI are not going to kill the Goose that lays the golden eggs.

You can read too much here. DJI is not a stupid company. They know that if they have their customers leave them in droves , they have nothing left. So far all the hoopla of the new update has yielded no real changes that anybody can see. They know that major changes in laws would put them out of business. So they have to do something to keep the idiots from flying them in stadiums and the like. Buy the drone and have fun.

Great! Needed to hear it from outside? No self opinion, but easily convincible...
Hi Gp,can you elaborate?
I didn't quite get what is your reply, as a owner, to my questions .
I am trying to separate what is fact from hype, before making a choice.
Thanks

I have to agree with those saying buy something else. I'm not going to pretend I won't consider DJI when I next want to buy a drone, but at least consider other options if you can so as not to support this kind of nonsense.

That said, if you decide on a mavic, using adirus VM along with an android device and a 4.0.7 or earlier DJI Go 4 .apk file from somewhere like apkmirror should serve you well.

Reactions: Rz350
Gp was being snide, you can ignore him as it was nothing less than trolling.

I got my Mavic about three weeks ago. It came with 0.400 firmware, I haven't updated. It's mostly doing what it is supposed to, so I don't see the need. I am also using it primarily in a hobby context though I have made money doing a survey for a recreational property owner.

Reactions: Rz350
You can read too much here. DJI is not a stupid company. They know that if they have their customers leave them in droves , they have nothing left. So far all the hoopla of the new update has yielded no real changes that anybody can see. They know that major changes in laws would put them out of business. So they have to do something to keep the idiots from flying them in stadiums and the like. Buy the drone and have fun.
Exactly, I think most of are over-reacting a bit here with this new upgrade. I'm a little concerned but not overly. DJI is not about to shoot their self in the foot with this. I believe this may have to do with their drones being used in the middle east for terrorist purposes.

Thanks a lot to everyone that took the time to answer .
Cheers+ blue skies

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998