DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to do with controller when using ActiveTrack?

elb75

Reactions
Hey friends,

I'd like to use ActiveTrack on my Mavic3 when on my bicycle, motorcycle (slow) or even when hiking. But, Google hasn't shown me an acceptable solution for what to do with the controller+phone while using ActiveTrack. I obviously need both my hands free on the bike or motorcycle, and if I'm just hiking I don't particularly want the controller+phone in the video.

I see a $20 'bicycle mount' on amazon that was reviewed by DC Rainmaker, which isn't super confidence-inspiring. I think I could make the parts from that kit work with a GoPro+RAM ball mount on my motorcycle, but it'd still worry me that I'd lose the phone like DC Rainmaker did in the video.

Is there any way to 'lock' the controls on the controller+phone so I can just tuck it in a backpack or tank bag?

What solutions have other people come up with for holding the controller when using Active Track?

(BTW, I have the 'standard' mavic 3 controller with the phone cage above it, not the pro controller).

Thanks!

I think it would be highly inadvisable to pack the controller away anywhere that you can not get your hands on it instantly.
Even with the controller readily available plenty of people still have their drone crash whilst executing tracking shots, I can only imagine that the chances of a crash/accident would be greatly increased if you did not have instantaneous access to the drone's controls.

I think it would be highly inadvisable to pack the controller away anywhere that you can not get your hands on it instantly.
Even with the controller readily available plenty of people still have their drone crash whilst executing tracking shots, I can only imagine that the chances of a crash/accident would be greatly increased if you did not have instantaneous access to the drone's controls.
Yes.

I'm reminded of the news stories about tourists shooting selfies at overlooks and accidentally backing over the precipice while grinning at their cellphones. It's apparently a rather frequent event.

Stuffing the controller into a backpack during a flight might just lead to a similar result for the drone. Seems to violate good common sense as well as civil aviation regs.

Good advice on the safety aspect.

So, does anyone effectively and safely have a workflow to use active track for an activity being done solo, or in a group where all subjects are participating?

For example, riding a moto on a gravel road for 2-3 miles... seems the only way to do this safely would be to have a follow car with a separate driver and a separate drone pilot, following at a long enough range to not be in the frame. Similar for bicyclist. Carrying the controller in hand for a hike is not that big of a deal, but will def be visible in the shot.

Thanks!

how about constructing a shoulder type harness that would hold the RC and screen device at waist hight so you could glance down at the screen to check all was well but have both hands free

Reactions: FLDave
Simple solution: Buy a lanyard with a holder that can be clipped into the controller. Strap it around your neck and the hands are free to bike. Put it under a jacket to hide it if neccessary. :)

I would be wary of anything that would hold the controller in the operating position on your body whilst on a bike, if you come off and come down on your front it's a narrow, concentrated point of impact on your torso.

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
Stewart Carroll seems to do a fair number of solo hiking shots where the controller is mostly hidden. The trick seems to be (a) carry it in the hand away from the drone, and (b) act naturally and avoid looking at either the drone or the controller.

You can see a few examples in this video:

I have done some footage from my motorcycle using my Air2s with “regular” controller:

(Did more than that, but that’s the most polished video)

My solution was to combine a suction mount with one of those bicycle controller mounts and a GoPro swivel mount. Having the phone mounted on that controller makes it a feel a little heavy and dodgy, but it was actually much stronger in practice than I expected. Worked great, but I have to say that I was nervous about the drone the whole time. Look at about 2:38 into the video to see how the mount looks, and note that it was fine even after I dumped the bike at low speed.

You do you, but I would use active track very sparingly even with this setup (I found AT with the Air2s be fairly unreliable and kind of nerve-wracking in this scenario, and it was a relatively controlled environment). I now lean toward setting up “tripod” shots with the drone hovering in place, which I also obviously did during this session as well. Drone shooting is amazing with that approach You can move the drone to where you want, do your riding, move it again, etc. The footage is just not quite as dynamic. I tried a few times to control the drone to slide directionally, just a little, during the “tripod” shots, but it felt dangerous. Motorcycling is already risky enough ;-). YMMV. I ended up doing more of the dynamic motion stuff in editing, later.

Note that I have sadly yet to see a solution like this for the Mini 3’s RC. Very sad because I got the Mini 3 and RC in order to save weight and size for just this purpose. So I’m left considering hanging the controller around my neck (I dislike this idea for multiple reasons), or throwing it in the tank bag (disliked for multiple other reasons).

Anyway here’s the controller mount I have used. I have only tried with the Air2s normal controller:

Suction mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BZ4KYY7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually started with this much older, bulkier car mount, but the above is small, light, and pretty darn effective in my limited testing

The smaller suction cup on the first mount makes it a little easier to find a place to stick it on. I was able to use it both on my BMW GS Adventure (huge tank, so pretty easy), and on my Indian FTR 1200 (with a little less wiggle room). I will be challenged to find a place on my Suzuki DRZ400S due to the shape of the tank, so again I’m considering around the neck or in the tank bag :-\.

Last edited:
Hip pack on the front for hiking and climbing, tank bag for motorcycle. I’ve done in the jacket too. . . With any of these moves never install the control sticks.

Hip pack on the front for hiking and climbing, tank bag for motorcycle. I’ve done in the jacket too. . . With any of these moves never install the control sticks.
Yes, seconded, WRT sticks. I always fly without them anyway, but you definitely don’t want any unintended control inputs on a bicycle or motorcycle, or whatever!

Yes, seconded, WRT sticks. I always fly without them anyway, but you definitely don’t want any unintended control inputs on a bicycle or motorcycle, or whatever!
I just printed this out a couple of days ago.

Simple cover for control sticks on the RC controller (there are other covers for the RC Pro). I tried it in a small camera bag and it works well — the bag keeps the controller from moving, and the cover keeps the sticks from moving.

This case works well for my Mini 3 with RC Controller and batteries. You'd need a bigger one for the Mavic 3, although I think this would fit the controller (or controller+phone). Something like this, in any case (no pun intended), with adequate room for the controller, quick access (if left unzipped), and looking innocuous in your video.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J