DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What will happen to the original Mavic Pro?

floyd

Reactions
Understandably, there's been an insane amount of discussion and prognostication about the Mavic Pro II. But what will happen to the original Mavic Pro? Will it remain in the line as is? Will it be changed slightly and remain placed between the Air and the Pro II? Or will it be discontinued and sold at Walmart for $299.99 until they're all gone?

Thoughts...

Reactions: jdubmiles
Just kidding about the $299.99. But if they are discontinued I wonder what they'll be selling for at the discount stores and websites. I'm hoping they'll hold their retail price so the used Mavic market doesn't take a dive.

Understandably, there's been an insane amount of discussion and prognostication about the Mavic Pro II. But what will happen to the original Mavic Pro? Will it remain in the line as is? Will it be changed slightly and remain placed between the Air and the Pro II? Or will it be discontinued and sold at Walmart for $299.99 until they're all gone?

Thoughts...

Nope. They'll go the same way they did with the Phantom 4, it'll be discounted and sell, then they'll sell the refurbs for less. You'll probably find them for $599-699.

Nope. They'll go the same way they did with the Phantom 4, it'll be discounted and sell, then they'll sell the refurbs for less. You'll probably find them for $599-699.
Its going to suffer the exact same fate that almost all electronic devises suffer. I dont want to alarm you bit the same thing will also happen to the Mavic Pro-II and III and IV too.

They will all eventually be replaced by something newer and better. This is natural.

Im sure Mavic Pro production will stop at some point ( if it hasnt stopped already) and they will burn out the existing stock at a steady rate. If they want to liquidate stock faster they will drop the price even more. But if sales are OK based on current stock amount than DJI can burn them slowly.

At some point DJI will need to convert all its manufacturing resourses on only the new models. This might be happening right now?

Reactions: pisan60
Whatever the case, I would fully expect the used market to take a hit within days of an MP2 being announced. You can’t stop that really either because it may simply come down to supply and demand. More owners selling to recoup expenses on a new one means more options for buyers, yada yada.

I guess this will be the only advantage of being “an old guy” .
I ,hopefully, will age out before having to give up my beloved MP but I must admit, I hate the thought there could be a better drone- nah

I guess this will be the only advantage of being “an old guy” .
I ,hopefully, will age out before having to give up my beloved MP but I must admit, I hate the thought there could be a better drone- nah
Likewise. Over many years I've upgraded hi-fi, computers, cameras, phones and cars, time and time again. I'm now at the stage where I'm finally happy with what I've got and won't be changing anything unless it dies or I do.

I think that the current Mavic Pro could have some "help". I strongly suspect that with the Mavic Pro-II getting the Phantom 4 Pro's image sensor and signal processor, it will be raised in price to "replace" the Phantom 4 Pro. So I think this new Mavic Pro-II will be EXPENSIVE.

Here is the possible "gotcha" trick....

The Phantom 4 Pro has a camera with a full "camcorder" iris/aperture. It smoothly opens and closes the way any real camcorder would....which is spectacular for any drone. (almost no other drone does this today except the Inspire-II)

If DJI wanted to "cripple" the Mavic Pro-II's camera, they could REMOVE that iris/aperture and leave it with a FIXED 2.8 aperture! Uggg,....this is a depressing thought, but it "could" be done to protect the Phantom 5.

We will see but I think the Mavic Pro-II will be the "upgrade" for Phantom 4 Pro flyers and the Phantom 5 will be TWO steps UP over current P4P.

This could mean that current the Mavic Pro could live longer and comfortably at it's current price point for another year or more.

CT

Reactions: floyd
Mine will stay with me until at least the 3 or 4 pro. There's no way her indoors will support a yearly drone habit...on top of my pc and motorbike stuff.

Reactions: REDAGITATOR

Thoughts...

Only DJI knows. Everything else (_everything_) is all speculation.

We'll know, when they come out with a DJIGO 5 app and the Mavic pro can only run on the 4 hahahaha that's when we will know for certain, its done, and i will be fine with that and hopefully they will stop sending me these firmware updates and me and my Mavic Pro can fly happily ever after hahaha

Reactions: old man mavic
Just kidding about the $299.99. But if they are discontinued I wonder what they'll be selling for at the discount stores and websites. I'm hoping they'll hold their retail price so the used Mavic market doesn't take a dive.
How could they possibly "hold their retail price"? That isn't how supply & demand works. Demand drops, price follows.

How could they possibly "hold their retail price"? That isn't how supply & demand works. Demand drops, price follows.
If DJI decides to keep the original Mavic Pro in their lineup and the retail price of the Mavic Pro II is substantially higher than the Mavic Pro, then the Mavic Pro could easily hold its retail value because, as you put it, there would be a demand for a mid-priced Mavic.

If DJI decides to keep the original Mavic Pro in their lineup and the retail price of the Mavic Pro II is substantially higher than the Mavic Pro, then the Mavic Pro could easily hold its retail value because, as you put it, there would be a demand for a mid-priced Mavic.

Very interesting thread... Refurb P3's are still around for as low as $350 that I have seen recently. I wonder how many Mavic's have been sold? My gut is a LOT of them. They are game changers bringing portable autonomous photogrammetry to anyone paying attention. For those of us that don't fly them to their death I would not be surprised it becomes a collectors item in the long term so the used market could be rather surprising. Again speaking for myself I can't imagine selling for anything..... unless I can have that bigger sensor in such a small reliable device... who knows......

This is no different than iPhone or Samsung releasing a new phone every 10 seconds. I stay with what I have until it no longer works, that I buy the latest and greatest.

Once my MP gives up the ghost, is too expensive to fix after a crash, or whatever, I’ll purchase the new model......or hop into an Inspire.

Longer term it won't be supported and the current app will change in a way which is unfavourable to older models.
This is another reason to consider using a dedicated device and when things are running well do not update anymore.

How do you turn off updates for DJI GO4 on an IPAD?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCaffs10778