DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Would You Do?

Grizzo

Reactions
So your out flying and your controller goes dead for whatever reason. The Mavic begins to RTH automatically. When auto landing it decides the ground is unsuitable for landing and hovers 2 meters above the ground. The controller is dead and wont turn on. What do you do then?
You could wait until the battery gets critical and lands anyway, but sitting there hovering without any control for anywhere up to 20mins cant be safe. Especially if there are objects nearby. Plus, you would be crapping yourself and want to get it back on the ground asap.

With the downward sensors on, you'd probably have a hard time hand catching it from below. My first thought on this is - don't take off with a low battery on the controller. This would ensure that you have the ability to reconnect the controller and land. Posts about the drone acting up, or the app crashing, are quite common. Rarely do I see actual problems with the controller.

I'll grab it from the bottom if I can reach it then tilt it to turn off. I think my action is faster than MP reaction. That's just me.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I'll grab it from the bottom if I can reach it then tilt it to turn off. I think my action is faster than MP reaction. That's just me.

Does tilting it turn it off? I thought about grabbing it but turning it off was the problem.

I thought about grabbing it but turning it off was the problem.

Ah, got it. It confused me when you said you said this. Sounded like it had actually happened. It's a really good idea to do your what-if planning before you have to figure things out on the fly.

Battery pack to recharge controller would be a good contingency item. I would also try connecting via phone wifi (and hope like heck you can't switch connection methods to an in-flight Mavic of course).

Reach under it and grab it. I do it daily. I literally never land on the ground. It's hard for me to bend over after back surgery. Yup. Just reach up and grab it, keeping your pinky finger out of the way..The sensors don't respond fast enough to stop you from grabbing it. Flip it on its side and the motors quit instantly

^^^ That. I hand-catch 70% of my landings. Most of the places I fly have very little level, clear ground to take-off and land. Also, I always have a power bank so if the controller or phone run low I can recharge them.

If you are not in a position to hand catch it quickly and rotate it 90° to shut of motors then do this.
Wait 5 minutes then with phone disconected from controller, turn on RC again. You will find that the battery has recuperated enough for RC to reconnect to Mavic and you can again press RTH to get Mavic to finish landing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter