DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whatever happened to reading the manual first?

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
Just mentioning here for everyone's benefit (if in case there are people who don't know); the manuals for every DJI product are available under the "Downloads" section of the product page at dji.com ( the URL is usually www(dot)dji(dot)com/<product-name>/downloads). The small booklets which DJI ships in the box are not the full user manual; they are quick start guides and product safety notices and such.

Thanks for that info.

Hi everyone..I’m pretty new on here…So Hi Y'all. I have to say that I’ve been surprised at the number of threads on here, particularly the Mavic Air 2 threads, where people have bought the thing and attempted to use it, without apparently ever having done any YouTube or Forum research, or even having glanced at the Quickstart guide. Having Youtube and Forums, such as this one available, is a wonderful thing, and just about every question will find an answer there. I guess the thing I find strange is that many people don’t even seem to want to find out about it first. I guess we’re all different. Me, I always look at every YouTube vid, and scour all the forums before I buy anything. Whatever, fly safe and enjoy!

Why you guys start these threads i'll never know but am going to read it, take out all the insults
and am moving it to off topic.
Do keep this in mind.
IMG_7804.jpg

It has a manual ? (Just kidding). A manual cannot replace experience. Example: I posted a question yesterday about Flight Autonomy. First I googled it, then I skimmed the manual. No Help.
Posted here and had an answer in minutes. So yes, I agree folks should at least make an attempt to answer their own question. But there is no substitute for the experienced pilots we have on this site.

I second Tommy85. I thank all of you for your help.
Tommy if, you are 84 and have vision problems please dont fly around my airspace. Windows are not cheap to replace :)

How many times do you see "Thanks for letting us know that worked for you." ... Answer - a lot less often than you see somebody thanking somebody else for the advice ... It does go both ways that one ...
Thanks for your answer..

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Because I am attempting to keep your misguided indignation from hurting others who are may not be as clever as you are.
I don't want others to feel that maybe you will be shaming them for not finding the information elsewhere.
It's obvious yall just don't really care about others, you just want to cry about something that is just basic human nature.
So cry your eyes out but please don't hurt others,
Strange perspective you have there. You know nothing about me and yet start using degrading and offensive terms such as "misguided indignation", while I and some others here are having a civil conversation without shaming anyone.

Pot calling the kettle black it seems to me. :rolleyes:

I have provided hundreds of informative answers to members here. So please do your research before calling people names.

Actually most threads on this forum fail to address the OP'S question. It amazes me to no end.
Really? Where is your factual data for that claim? I think most members here would respectfully disagree.

If you want more people to read the manual convince DJI to provide a legible copy with the drone.
Please see previous post. With dynamic systems that are constantly updated via firmware and software, it is better to have an online manual that can be kept up to date. Plus we really should try to help the environment by not printing everything when an electronic version is possible. PDF version is also better for those that cannot easily read small text.

By not providing it the implication is you don't need to read it.
That is a correlation that you have made. No basis in fact there at all. Cell phones don't come with protective cases. With your logic, the implication is that no one needs it. However a majority of people feel they need one.

So really what's your point again?
The point is, has been, and always will be that the user manual has important and useful information to the operation of an expensive and complex piece of machinery. If you don't take the time to read it first, it is not rude when someone asks you nicely to reference the manual after you ask a basic question which is "in the manual".

Here's a great example I've just seen on a Facebook group ...

"Hello I brought a drone a couple of years ago and still can’t get it to fly properly, when it hovers it pulls to one side but I haven’t got time to adjust it, can anyone help "

The thing that makes me laugh in this one is ... "... but I haven't got time to adjust it, ..."
Does this person want help with the Drone, or help to find the time to fix it?? o_O

Here's a great example I've just seen on a Facebook group ...

"Hello I brought a drone a couple of years ago and still can’t get it to fly properly, when it hovers it pulls to one side but I haven’t got time to adjust it, can anyone help "

The thing that makes me laugh in this one is ... "... but I haven't got time to adjust it, ..."
Does this person want help with the Drone, or help to find the time to fix it?? o_O
It's really amazing that people who don't have time to read the manual or to learn proper operation of a UAS have no issue with putting a flying machine in the air which not only is expensive but also could harm people in the area. The guy in Vegas comes to mind, who had his P3P float right over to the airport and land next to a runway. Of course we don't know for sure if it was just lack of knowledge or blatant disregard of regulations, but either way it was a very dangerous situation. I'm willing to bet though that he never read the manual for his Phantom.

I just sold my MP1 with all the original boxes and paperwork still sealed lol

Learned everything I needed to know either on the forums or from YouTube videos

Part of the problem with some manuals is that they make absolutely no sense whatever, and often relate to the wrong product, or a whole series of them. DJI manuals are properly written though.

Personally, I prefer to go through a whole batch of youtube tutorials before I even buy something. And as others have said, I use the manual as reference, rather than how to use it.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
More people would read the manual if DJI actually put a printed one in the box with the drone. ;)

Amen.
I thought they forgot to put one in my box, so I called the store that I purchased it from, and asked how to get a manual, because mine didn't have one. They told me that the Mini doesn't come with a manual. It shocked me no end!

Have never had a DJI product that had one only the quick start.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I read the manual for the MA2 but if I'm being honest, it's because I was scared to fly it without doing so. For the most part, I'm not a manual reader (e.g. new TV, new lawn mower, things like that). But when it's a highly technical thing like this, I will for sure. I'm probably mid-range, I'm 41 years old so I grew up learning by reading, but shifted as I got older. ha

That said there's folks that are more like me with a lawn mower. They try it and then don't know what's up, then start asking questions. I do think going to the manual should be your first move. I come from a long line of car forums from my car days and research first before posting, was mmm, highly encouraged. That meant if you posted something that was easily sourced from the internet or a repair manual, or user manual, or the forum itself from previous posts, you usually got roasted.

I don't see anything wrong with that. In fact I'm amazed on this forum how many duplicate topics get started as new threads for things that a simple forum or google search could provide answers to. I know the Mods do good work at trying to merge/end duplicates but it still happens frequently.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom