DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the point (VLOS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CraigVMN ,really my dear fellow flyer,300ft and cant see your drone ,with all due respect maybe a visit to an optician might be in order i have not got the most amazing eyesight ,but i can see my Mini drones up to at around 800ft ,and my MPP up to about 1200ft
Remember the intent here:- you're flying VFR.

Its not just being able to see the drone. Its about being able to see the 3D space (ie depth perception) all around your zone to identify hazards and conflicts.
Being able to see a tiny dot in the distance with no perception of depth all around it isnt really VLOS/VFR.

One of the features promoted by manufacturers, and considered by buyers, is how far away you can fly a drone. With VLOS being of importance (required?), what is the point of a drone that can be operated 2+ kilometers away from the pilot?

Beyond 100 meters I only know where the drone is by looking at what the camera is sending back to my phone.
Exactly!! That’s why I’ve never been concerned how far my drone can fly.

VLOS is stupid. You're always looking at your screen anyway. The people that make these rules are brain dead.

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
VLOS is stupid. You're always looking at your screen anyway. The people that make these rules are brain dead.
They're the same people who make the rules for manned aviation. Given the astonishingly good safety record for manned aviation, I'd say they do a pretty good job.

If you're "always looking at the screen" and ignoring the rest of the flight environment, you're leaving yourself open for comments similar to the ones you just made.

Reactions: okw and FLDave
Good morning to all-
I will not comment on the range I commonly fly- been slapped down too often here to do that sort of silly thing again. I will say that VLOS is not a big part of my life.
Since the DJI products have such an outstanding tracking system and range of contact, it would be silly to not rely quite heavily on the "screen" when flying.
Given my deteriorating distance eyesight, whether I'm flying at 100 feet or _________ feet, I will be flying from the screen- just much the better way for me to keep things going correctly.

You all be safe and keep well- Ed

Reactions: mobilehomer
I fly mostly to make scenic Youtube videos for family and friends and it is virtually impossible to maintain VLOS. Cinematography requires looking at the screen and once the drone is a distance away looking up and finding it in the sky is near impossible, at least for me. I suspect the same is true for most of the YT travel and landscape video creators. Unfortunately, in pursuing our hobby we are flying illegally and are prepared to accept the consequences if necessary.

Showing you have absolutely no understanding of the rules or why they exist.

And no, if you're "always" looking at the screen, you're not flying VLOS and are illegal.

Since the DJI products have such an outstanding tracking system and range of contact, it would be silly to not rely quite heavily on the "screen" when flying.
That's not why the rules exist.
DJI drones lack any form of detect and avoid system. The whole point of VLOS is situational awareness of the airspace around the drone. You get exactly none of that just staring at a tiny 2D screen.

Reactions: okw
unfortunately this thread is becoming the usual 2 camps debate on VLOS
so to that end before it gets worse i am closing it from further posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member